PDA

View Full Version : I really need help picking out a welder...

sberebit
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I have decided on getting a MIG welder and would prefer getting a 115V model. I am getting stuck on quality, price and compatibility.

I found a Campbell Hausman 115V MODEL 2161 for $300

Lincoln at Lowes for $500

Clarke 115V for $230
The Clarke was a higher price model, but because the company is in Chapter 11, it is greatly discounted. This leads me to my next question:
Are parts and consumables on welders interchangeable? E.g., Can Clarke use Lincoln tips? Are there any sites out there that show which are interchangeable?

Thank you,
Steve

Odd Man Out
07-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Are parts and consumables on welders interchangeable? E.g., Can Clarke use Lincoln tips? Are there any sites out there that show which are interchangeable?

Thank you,
Steve

Hey Steve
Welcome to the site.
2 things
1. Read through what other people have asked -- you will find great info that will help there.
2. Consumables are not that expensive. The welder is the biggy. Don't sweat the small stuff.

sberebit
07-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey Steve
Welcome to the site.
2 things
1. Read through what other people have asked -- you will find great info that will help there.
2. Consumables are not that expensive. The welder is the biggy. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Thanks for your reply... I am not as worried about consumables, as much as whether there will be tips and other items available for the Clarke unit (in Chapter 11). That is why I was wondering if tips and such were interchangeable.

Danner
07-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Tips is tips. And wire is wire. For the MIG units, things are pretty much interchangeable. I would be concerned about Clarke tho - There are plenty of satisfied Clarke owners out there, but I think Harbor Freight dropped them last year, and that can't be a good sign. I bought a Lincoln 140 recently online, for its beginner-friendly features, probably could have gotten by with the 125, since I have been happy with flux core so far, the 140 includes the gas capability which I haven't used. Check the features carefully before you buy, there are differences. Also, go to a shop that sells welders and ask questions, whether you buy there or not, you'll pick up a few pointers in your decision process. Also check Lincoln and Miller's websites.
Danner

macka
07-10-2009, 09:26 AM
HF and Clarke are agreeing to disagree over whatever reason. I think that HF was not following Clarkes orders for warranty and it caused grief for both parties so they parted ways. Check out ebay, craigslist, and kijiji for deals. A lot of times, they are used once by some guy who thinks welding is a breeze, get frustrated and then let it sit for a bit, then sell it for cheap. I'd also get a machine that does more then what you initially need, a 220 MIG/flux combo will allow for you to do more as you get better.

sberebit
07-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Thank you for your help. I went with a reconditioned Hobart 140 Mig 500500A. $400...Hoping to see it Tuesday.

macka
07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
IIRC you can get an adapter that lets you use a paintball CO2 tank for hobarts. It gives you about 20 mins of gas with the small tank and about 40 for the large tank. The upside is they don't gouge you to fill them.