PDA

View Full Version : Forked

TheGiver
05-28-2009, 02:43 PM
At least it seems like I am.

Background: I built the Marauder years ago (2005) and rode the heck out of it (still got it, ride it sometimes). Since then I've hacked up my own stuff and I'm in the middle of a delta wolf build. Well, when I saw the HR plans come up for sale I fell in love and decided that it must be built immediately (wasn't really a decision, it felt like a moral imperative). I determined that I wanted the full 26 inch wheels and a 3 piece bottom bracket (being unable to upgrade the drive system on the marauder is a big reason it has gone unused).

Anyway, I haven't had to scrounge for donor parts in a while but I don't have any more 26" forks so I started looking. And I can't seem to find anything with a 3 piece bb that doesn't also have a suspension fork. I even resorted to hunting out cheapie bikes in the chain stores but I get the same results there.

So the question I have is two fold. Where do you folks get donors now, and has anyone hacked up a suspension fork to use as the rear of the HR?

Thanks,

Geoffrey

ps I did see someone used the entire rear triangle, I may end up having to go that route.

GregLWB
05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
So the question I have is two fold. Where do you folks get donors now, and has anyone hacked up a suspension fork to use as the rear of the HR?

Thanks,

Geoffrey

ps I did see someone used the entire rear triangle, I may end up having to go that route.

I think that it may just be where you live. I have just the opposite problem unless I want to buy a bike with a suspension fork most of the donors I find have regular forks without even brake studs.

IMHO I don't think that a cut up suspension fork would be long enough for the rear. I did think about the possibility that if I built another HR, I might keep a rear triangle mostly whole and just cut and reweld enough to get the angles right. Although the way I built it, it draws a lot of positive attention and comments even around people that do racing like at the OHPV event last weekend.

Have you tried the thrift stores?

Also on your other bike. There are some places that make a conversion shell that allows you to use a 3 piece crank in a one piece BB.

Greg

Locutus
05-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Try Craigslist.

TheKid
05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Also on your other bike. There are some places that make a conversion shell that allows you to use a 3 piece crank in a one piece BB.

Like this:

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/category/bottom_brackets-conversion

alecw35
05-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I took an axle from an old Raleigh MTB to put 3 peice cranks on my folding bike.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/Alecw35/dakotacrank.jpg
Had to cut though the alloy crank as it was so stuck on.

I also have a set of DMR adaptor rings that go in a one piece bb shell to accept a normal treaded bb.

sksound5
05-28-2009, 08:03 PM
freecycle.org, salvation army, andd garage sales that go bust

TheGiver
05-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.

@GregLWB
Yah, I figured it was a strange local phenomenon. And yup, I hit all the thrift stores in the area. I did NOT know about a 3 piece bb conversion kit

@Locutus
Thanks, nothing on it near me that fits the bill.

@TheKid
Oooo, I may have to take a closer look at that. Thanks!

@alecw35
How well do those adapter rings work?

@sksound5
Yup, hit them. Like everyone else here, I sure can't go by a garage sale without my head swiveling to check out the bike section :)

I'm now leaning on grabbing up one of those inexpensive mtn bikes that also have a suspended frame. I saw a couple today that look like the geometry might work out.

greenevegiebeast
05-29-2009, 12:41 AM
alec, I know this news may be late but You could have used a crank arm puller that is redly avalble from your lbs or many sorces online for a few bucks. that may have saved you from cutting that cranc arm off. most of my "donors" have stuck crank arms and the crank arm puller works great.:jester:

alecw35
05-29-2009, 03:58 AM
I oiled the crank/ axle joint.
I tried the crank puller.
I tried heating the crank up with a blow torch
The threads in the crank stripped out.
I tried hitting the back of the crank arm at the axle, with a chisel.
But nothing worked.
The bike looks like its from the early 90s. Ive taken lots of bikes apart. Most come to bits easily. This wouldnt budge. My freind wanted a ladies touring bike I had got at the local village hall sale. I got the tourer for 5. I got it for its alloy 700c wheels, that I wanted to build a racer. So we swapped bikes. The ladies mountain bike i got from him had smooth road tread tyres on it. I will change the tyres and put a 1 peice crank on the bike and sell it. Is a shame about the cranks.
The DMR adaptor rings I got are still on the shelf in my shed. I used the old axle instead.
Also about getting bikes. I asked at local bike shops. One gave me the old bikes that customers hadnt picked up for years. I got about 60 bikes. My freind that I swapped bikes with, was working for a removals company at the time. So we filled up the big removals truck with the bikes. I tried to give him money for fuel and his time. But he refused. He did want a bike. So I rebuilt one. He sold it to his workmate. Ive sold a few of the bikes
Another bike shop gave me 8 bikes. I am going to ride the Raleigh Caprice ladies 3 speed roadster I got from them, to town today. Its a very comfortable bike. And Im usually faster on it to town than my mountainbike.

TheGiver
05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Ok, I'm an ***** (facepalm).

I got so focused on finding ONE donor that my mind just refused to think of anything else. Why not just buy two cheap bikes? One with the 3-piece bb and suspension forks, and one with the single-piece bb and regular forks? I can get both of those for 5 bucks each at my local thrift store.

Goodness when did that forest get here? What with all these trees I missed it.

Sheesh.

jimFPU
05-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Yep, you're a Zombie all right...LOL!

GregLWB
05-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Ok, I'm an ***** (facepalm).

I got so focused on finding ONE donor that my mind just refused to think of anything else. Why not just buy two cheap bikes? One with the 3-piece bb and suspension forks, and one with the single-piece bb and regular forks? I can get both of those for 5 bucks each at my local thrift store.

Goodness when did that forest get here? What with all these trees I missed it.

Sheesh.

Into every life the lightbulb must turn on at some point.:jester: We have all been there but now, you'll find bikes everywhere.:sunny: Welcome to the madness.

Greg

mkane53
05-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh yeah, now you're learning to think like a Zombie (pun intended). After you're really hooked in, you'll be looking at the left-over parts from those two bikes you cannibalized and start thinking ... "You know, if I can pick up cheap BMX with a decent front rim, I'd have the makings of a fine [INSERT ZOMBIE-Bike HERE]." Yeah, you're well on your way now.

pcorbett
05-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Some times you can get free ones at night. The're chained to trees or steel posts:eek:. Mostly I get them free from the dump. Now I have no more storage in the garrage attic and have to be selective when I get one.

Also try the police auction is you missed some of the chained up bikes. Mostly it may be where you live. Where I stand there are a lot of people that don't have a clue and throw away almost working bikes. My best find at the dump was a '52 Columbia 3-speed with a Sturmey-Archer generator as the front hub with the lights and all. Some of the bikes I just rebuild them and add them to the working fleet.

Pete

TheGiver
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Build is under way... (http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?p=25273)