PDA

View Full Version : Kyoto cruiser with different back?

Olaf
05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Dear zombies :builder2:

Iīve got a question which is torturing me for a few days now.
Iīm planning to built a Kyoto Cruiser, Iīve downloaded the plans and besides my studies Iīm busy preparing everything so I can start building it in autumn this year.
My question is about the drive train and rear axle. Is it necessary to work with an axle at all? Isnīt it possible to just use two rear forks from old bicycles and weld them parallel to each other? This way you wouldnīt have to go through the hassle with the axle and the big bearings. Plus, you would be able to use normal wheels with normal hubs. The drive trains would be in one line with the wheels and it would be far less material you would have to use.
Wouldnīt it be easier, cheaper en more lightweight to do it that way?

On the other side, the drivers would sit a bit more to the outside of the frame since the two back wheels would be exactly behind their backs. Would that be a problem with the balance of the vehicle?

Please let me know what you guys think about it.

Cheers,

Olaf :rockon:

TheKid
05-26-2009, 01:58 PM
What you're describing is two bikes welded to each other. You could use this method to build a quad, or a trike. It's been done before, and you could find them by searching the Net.
This method could be used with a lot of Brad's bikes too. The Meridian for instance, would work well for this application. By combining the front end of the KC using a suspension fork, and two rears from the Streetfox, you'd have a fully suspended tandem delta trike. This would also make it a bit narrower and still be stable.

Patrike
05-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Blasphemy - someone kick him off -- I will not stand for someone suggesting to change the Kyoto or any other plans -- kidding!

Good to hear there will be another Kyoto build coming soon - I will watch your progress with a discerning eye!

Check out Joes (http://ca.geocities.com/melonjoe/recumbent.html)social tandem.

Becuase he put the wheels closer together - it was tipy with one rider. And his wheels would not take the same side load as the ones Brad has designed.

Best of luck on you build.

Olaf
05-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Thank you for the information. Joeīs trike looks like what I had in mind. Just that he had a good idea to use the crank axle to be able to set the wheels a little bit more to the outside.
I will go and hunt for some donor bikes and I will keep you guys informed about my build.
If you find anything else about this subject, donīt be shy and post it.

Olaf :rockon:

Patrike
05-27-2009, 07:07 AM
As Joe mentioned he did his design based on the GEM sociable - found more pics here (http://www.geocities.com/rcgilmore3/tandem.htm).