PDA

View Full Version : This welding stuff is fun

ken will
05-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi everyone

I am just learning to stick weld and at first it was frustrating, but now I am welding more than sticking.

I am not quite confident enough to build a bike yet ( I have the plans for the SteetFox ) so for my first project I built a Kayak trailer.

http://cid-f242625b103d3e9f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Kayak%20trailer/Gedc0040.jpg

I just tried it on the bumpiest roads I could find and it didn't fall apart!!

Radical Brad
05-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Soon you will be giving advice and welding like a pro!

Brad

Patrike
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I do not envy your task ahead for the stick welding -- I have done it a few times up at my borthers -- then I talked him into a MIG - he does not touch the stick welder unless he has a really thick steel to work on like with front end loaders. Not trying to discourage you -- just takes a little more practice for stick - you have to move in 2 dimensions while welding - the MIG just one movement - I am not cut out for that -- stick with it :jester: Looking forward to seeing some progress.

pcorbett
05-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Dude you were here!

http://home.comcast.net/~ppcorbett/pwpimages/2-15-02_SheepPond_a.jpg

Pete

Richie Rich
05-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Nah...he was HERE...!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2594669594_d0f5c1d9b3.jpg

...Richie....

pcorbett
05-21-2009, 06:14 AM
Nah Rich...... thats what we call " off Cape " he was at Sheep Pond dipping his kayak in yesterdays hot sun! His picture doesn't show in this tread for me but he has 7 pics up with the trailer.......oh nice job Ken............and his yellow kayak.........you can't hide...........

Pete

ken will
05-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Actually I have done the canal ride, but yesterday I was at Sheep Pond in Brewster.

The trailer tows real nice and I am happy I jumped into this welding stuff.
The only problem is I keep running out of welding rods. The smallest I can get locally is 3/32" and my poor little $89 welder melt anything bigger than 5/64"

GregLWB
05-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Actually I have done the canal ride, but yesterday I was at Sheep Pond in Brewster.

The only problem is I keep running out of welding rods. The smallest I can get locally is 3/32" and my poor little $89 welder melt anything bigger than 5/64"

Hey welcome ken. It might surprise you guys from MA, but I actually know some of the places you're talking about. My mom grew up in Sandwich and we used to visit my Aunt Martha at her home on the Cape. Still have relatives in Norton and various other towns around the area.

Again, welcome new Zombie. It is an affliction where the only cure is found in the garage.... well, sort of.:jester:

Greg

pcorbett
05-21-2009, 10:12 PM

I'm using the 3/32 Lincoln 6013 and I have been buying them in the 5lbs box at Home Depot. They have been working fine with my little chit box welder. Keep at it 'cause it is fun!

Pete

Your avatar looks familiar. Class of '67 Nauset?

pcorbett
05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey welcome ken. It might surprise you guys from MA, but I actually know some of the places you're talking about. My mom grew up in Sandwich and we used to visit my Aunt Martha at her home on the Cape. Still have relatives in Norton and various other towns around the area.

Greg

Nothing surprises me any more at Atomic Zombie. :builder2:

ken will
05-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Your avatar looks familiar. Class of '67 Nauset?

Close! 1966

Our class motto was "We will either find a way or make one."

pcorbett
05-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah,, I know who you are now. Your brother used to ride a 250 Ossa Stilletto while I rode a Suzuki TM 250 back in the day.

Class of '70. Our motto was Schlitz or Bud.

Pete

ken will
05-23-2009, 08:52 AM
My brother Don did all the welding on a recumbent I built way back in the 1980s
http://2qmegw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pDeq_1h29fUTYOgSXebamj_fjrnRFYgBBSeQZpPDlbvnliol XC3p3il6sDpDC0Upu_gpANAGaHns5n-TJyuMDnnzuthq8tm4a/scan0001.jpg

Back then we didn't have a nice informative, supportive, encouraging Web site to log into. The design stage was mostly guesswork, I had heard of recumbents but I couldn't google wheel base or head angle etc. I am not sure what year it was but I had just "upgraded" from an Apple IIe to a Commodore 64.

The bike evolved as I bolted on a Shwinn Trike rear end, added a Zipper Fairing, built a box for my dog to ride in, and added a 2x4 to the front for carrying long pieces of conduit.

After 25 years it looks a little tired

http://2qmegw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pMNRuEOA8Ee571J0_X9JFgYk0S0u0suDECVuX9ebLTOhPLAF f3zxBIzTK-EeR5yYAvcox26ZOOjtiarXCpSmjDw/Gedc0047.jpg

Patrike
05-25-2009, 09:45 AM
That's got history -- you have to fix that up!