PDA

View Full Version : Motorized DR Progress

TheKid
05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
I finally got the motor mounted, but the shaft is too short for 2 sprockets. I'll do with "Flintstone reverse" instead. Maybe later I'll do the mods to get the motor to reverse.
I got the fiberglass box, which was cut and reassembled to fit the platform. The guy who gave it to me originally used red pigmented epoxy, but it kinda clashed with the red paint. I said I'd paint it yellow or another bright color to give me more visability. He gave it another coat of yellow pigmented epoxy on the outside. It still needs sanding etc. to get it smooth, but I'll live with it for now. The top is glass over foam, which I kept red, and painted it the same color as the frame. It too needs sanding, but again, I'll live with it for now. It had no locks, and the hinges weren't tamper proof. I used a piano type storm door hinge and covered it with a length of 1" angle iron. I welded screw to the inside of the angle iron, so it bolts to the top. I did the same to another length of angle iron for the front, and welded hsp locks to it. Here's what I have so far. The first pic shows the motor mounted to the frame, the second is the motor inside the box, and the third is the outside of the box:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/DR%20Motor/100_0275Small.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/DR%20Motor/100_0276Small.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/DR%20Motor/100_0277Small.jpg

Patrike
05-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Nice set up TK - how fast do you think she'll run?

TheKid
05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
About 18 mph.

TheKid
05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Everything is hooked up and working. The motor is geared for a top speed of 550 RPM, and there's a 9t sprocket going to a 16t freewheel. I expected to get about 13MPH, which is slightly slower than top speed with the pedals only, with 26" wheels. But it only goes about 5 or 6 MPH, and there's no assist when I'm in 4th gear. I'm thinking the trike may be too heavy for the motor. It's rated at 450w, which should allow a higher speed than I'm getting. On the plus side, I don't have to switch gears at all. I can start the motor and begin pedalling at the same time without feeling any resistance, even in high gear. I'm going to try a smaller freewheel tomorrow.

TheKid
05-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Bingo! I wanted to see if the motor spun faster with the wheel off the ground. It didn't. But in reverse, the motor really spun fast. So I reversed the wires, and sure enough, I got speed. It also accelerates unassisted uphill, so there's plenty of power. In high gear, I was able to get 80 rpm without the motor, but now if I crank at over 90 rpm, I can barely keep up with it. My buddy drove alongside me, and said I was doing 22-23 mph. I'll go back to the larger freewheel to keep it under 20 mph. I feel more comfortable at the slower speed.
My buddy's neighbor has an electric moped trike, (home built) and says that if I go with a fixed cog on the axle like he has, I'll not only get reverse, but the motor will help with the braking. I tried his, and there isn't much drag from the motor, so I may just try it.