PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I just saw on TV

Zwolf
04-29-2009, 03:07 PM
I was just sitting here looking at the board when a commercial for this came on. It looks oddly familiar... as if I have seen it somewhere before...

http://riprider.com/

GregLWB
04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I was just sitting here looking at the board when a commercial for this came on. It looks oddly familiar... as if I have seen it somewhere before...

http://riprider.com/

It says his kid invented it. Yeah, right after he saw it on the internet.:jester:

Greg

TheKid
04-29-2009, 04:03 PM
$98 bucks at Wallyworld.

choppersrule
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
what no mention of the zombie guru who built it first all hail the guru :cheesy:
there is no substitute for the real thing not some plastic toy.
anyway can they say i built that.......... i think not :punk:

Shadowwalker65
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Talk about the ripping off of the century, sad they could have give the real inventor the credit, goes to show how much they research the big wigs give their product, so they have to copy the master guru AZ,

had to fix post was so mad with another rip of and not credit to the Guru Brad,
hope theirs falls apart
Gil

KoolKat
04-29-2009, 04:39 PM
We know the real story - spread it around - blog about it!

http://www.atomiczombie.com/product-spincycle.htm

KoolKat
04-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Talk about the ripping off, sad they could have give the real inventor the credit goes to show how much they research their product, goes to show the copy the master guru AZ

If they actually had some morals to give credit where credit is due, then they would have to pay some kind of royalty or licencing fee, thereby reducing their profit margin by a few cents per unit. Such is the world of big corporations. Just in it to make a fast buck. Made in China? Taiwan? Indonesia? Mexico?

Shadowwalker65
04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Had to fix my post...lol was mad and looking for places to post real story, looking for blogs to post the rip off are we able to post the link back to the spin cycle guys to show the real deal

macka
04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
If they actually had some morals to give credit where credit is due, then they would have to pay some kind of royalty or licencing fee, thereby reducing their profit margin by a few cents per unit. Such is the world of big corporations. Just in it to make a fast buck. Made in China? Taiwan? Indonesia? Mexico?

your book is copyright protected right? Lawyer up

KoolKat
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
The design itself isn't patented. Word of mouth is the best defense. There will always be a segment of the population who cares; those are the only ones who matter the most. What goes around comes around.

Given the regular bike-related recalls in recent years, and the fact that it's probably built in another country where workers are paid and treated like crap, it will be a passing fad until the next design they rip off. The corporate world must be very desperate these days!

your book is copyright protected right? Lawyer up

gbbwolf
04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
they should call it Razor RipOFF not riptide.

I just reported it to my local news team maybe they will run a story, showed them this sight and links to buy plans and told them about it being in a book for years, and gave them links to buy the book lmao.

Maybe you will get some more publicity out of it.
I think they should at least give credit where it is due, and pay some royaltys and a fee per bike.

His twelve year old designed it MY A$$.

Sorry Brad and Kat.
Dang corporate scum stealing idea's and not giving credit bugs me I submitted an idea to inventionsubmissioncorporation and got ripped off so I feel ya.

Nelson:*****::*****::*****:

macka
04-30-2009, 12:16 AM
The design itself isn't patented. Word of mouth is the best defense. There will always be a segment of the population who cares; those are the only ones who matter the most. What goes around comes around.

Given the regular bike-related recalls in recent years, and the fact that it's probably built in another country where workers are paid and treated like crap, it will be a passing fad until the next design they rip off. The corporate world must be very desperate these days!

Once it was printed, it gave you the intellectual rights to the design. The copyright laws should cover you. It will not hurt however to consult a lawyer, even talk to your publisher as they have a vested interest also. I'd love to see you guys get your "royalties", with all the work put in, you have earned it.

KoolKat
04-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Yes, but to protect one's design, you need a patent, which is a waste of time and money IMO, unless you already have a million tucked away specifically for legal fees. Patents are different from trademarks and copyrights. The only winners when it comes to intellectual property rights are lawyers. No matter what happens, they always get paid! Word of mouth is much more effective.

savarin
04-30-2009, 03:41 AM
Patents, trademarks, copyrights aren't worth diddly squat unless you have a s@#! load of money laying around to track down the offenders and then run the case in court.
As Kat states, it just aint worth it unless you are a huge company and can string it out.
I came up with a system of aquaculture some years ago that utilised everything that was involved. Clean, easy, no acid soils, incredibably low environmental impact, heavier stocking rates and faster grow out cycle.
The authorities who had to have total access to all the experimental data everything about the system poo-pooed the whole thing.
Unfortunately the money man dropped out on the day the licenses were going to be granted so it never went ahead. However, the biggest nay sayer to our system took the data and is now recognised as the Queensland expert.
We had no cash to fight this intellectual theft. It still makes me very angry talking about it.

macka
04-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Yes, but to protect one's design, you need a patent, which is a waste of time and money IMO, unless you already have a million tucked away specifically for legal fees. Patents are different from trademarks and copyrights. The only winners when it comes to intellectual property rights are lawyers. No matter what happens, they always get paid! Word of mouth is much more effective.

OK so lets go to MSNBC and expose the liars

Radical Brad
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
And they got the cast angle and weight distribution all wrong! I don't think that thing could even do a non stop 360 like the SpinCycle.

I would like to see them copy SkyWalker and mass market that one! Imagine the liability??!

Brad

macka
04-30-2009, 02:26 PM
gee Brad, that really sucks for them. :punk:

GregLWB
05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Okay, I got the solution! You know how back during WWII they had everyone plant a Victory Garden? Well I say that we should all build a couple of Spin Cycles and flood the market with superior products! Once enough people see such superior quality in design and workmanship (not to mention FUN) we will destroy them and their cheap/shoddy product and force them into bankruptcy! Muhwa-ha-ha!:jester::jester:

Greg

choppersrule
05-02-2009, 04:22 PM
not a bad idea :*****:

SirJoey
05-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Shame on you Brad, for posting that little boy's invention in your book,
5 years ago, & not giving him credit!

I have a copy... the poor lil' guy was only 7 back then! Shame on you!

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

gbbwolf
05-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Shame on you Brad, for posting that little boy's invention in your book,
5 years ago, & not giving him credit!

I have a copy... the poor lil' guy was only 7 back then! Shame on you!

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

See this is why I miss this forum when my internet goes out.

Comedy...
Welcome back SJ.

Nelson

darnthedog
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
The biggest problem Brad and Kat is that they don't attempt to go after you for Copyright infringement if they patent it, it could happen. Happen with a company I worked for. They created and built a rotational seal that kept water in and air out for a tool they built. A few years later another company virtually copied the design. But they patented it and then went after the my company for royaliest. It was in the courts for years. And the end result was my company lost and had to redesign a different sealling mechanism which was not as effient to use plus it cost a whole lot more. So be careful in screaming fowl everyone. It could cost Kat and Brad lots of money. The company I work for lost about 3 million in legal fees and fines.

Radical Brad
05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I think by posting the SpinCycle publicly 6 years ago and publishing it in a book will thwart any attempts at patenting the unit. It's certainly not about the $$$ for me, so what will be will be.

Brad

25hz
05-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Calling for people to patent things is usually done by other people who really have little understanding of the red tape involved, and the posters who mention it is best done by people/companies with truckloads of money are pretty much spot on. There are different types of patents, for the same thing. Each patent for each item needs to be registered, which costs money, there needs to be a search to make sure it hasn't been done before, more money, and then it needs to be paid for every year (hundreds to thousands per patent) to keep it "registered" and all of this money does nothing more than pay for an organization to maintain a database. Only very small modifications to a design or idea, and the patent is worthless. Also, the person who owns the patent is 100% responsible for defending it. The patent office does nothing. In the end, registering a patent, on more simple designs, really does nothing more than do all the R&D for someone else to come along use all the info, mod a couple things and go make money with it.

KoolKat
05-14-2009, 12:40 PM
25hz is correct. Patents are for people and companies who already have money to defend their stuff. One slight change to the patented design, and someone can manufacture and sell practically the identical item. It happens all of the time. We don't even need to name the country that's known for blatantly copying designs and products, and mass producing them at much lower quality than the original product. Once again, the big winners in the patent world are lawyers. No matter what happens, they always get paid.

Greenhorn
05-14-2009, 01:11 PM
The real cost and expense is not so much in filing the application as it is in enforcing the patent against imitators. This is a catch-22, because if you do not actively enforce your patent, you lose your rights. Yet, for all but the large corporate conglomerates, the legal fees make enforcement cost-prohibitive.

For this reason, it is not uncommon for a large company to copy a design from a smaller competitor and then sue the inventor to drive them out of business through legal fees or force a backwards royalty arrangement.

The days are gone when you could come up with an idea, draw a detailed schematic, get a patent, and be set for life. Funny how a system designed to protect original ideas and encourage inventors now rewards large companies for ripping off those ideas. You rarely ever see anyone who comes up with an original idea, designs something, patents it, and starts a company to produce the new invention. The only real way to make money is to try and sell your idea to a large company. However, they will more then likely just steal your design rather than pay for it.

Radical Brad
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I am glad I realized that $$$ is not the key to happiness many years ago.

brad

savarin
05-14-2009, 06:16 PM
I am glad I realized that $$$ is not the key to happiness many years ago.

brad

Aint that the truth.
I am never happier than when I can pass on skills and see them being used to the benifit of that individual.
Such a pity our society is predicated upon the accumulation of ever larger amounts of the stuff and still hasnt learnt the lessons of the last couple of years.

Billbo
10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I was almost going to start a thread about this when I found this (http://www.walmart.com/Razor-Riprider-360-Caster-Trike/ip/10746399) on the Wal-Mart site, then I saw this thread. We know Brad's SpinCycle is THE ORIGINAL and is far better than this one will ever be!

I am not a lawyer, and I am not sure what Brad and Kat's legal standing would be in a fight with these people, but I don't blame them if they do not pursue it. It would probably be expensive, and as many of you point out, the complex nature of these laws would make the outcome far from certain. Unfortunately, I do not believe copyright laws would be applicable in this case, as copyrights do not protect 'useful objects'. (I know a person might not use the SpinCycle to commute to work, or go to the grocery store, but since it looks like such a blast to ride, I think that makes it 'useful'.)

May *** Bless Brad and Kat forever for their wonderful designs and books. They have given us far more than these rip-off artists ever will.

teknobike
01-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry Razor probably could get sued, but not by Brad. The design was patented in 1959

United States Patent US3062559

By RB Hewitt

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3062559.pdf

Billbo
01-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry Razor probably could get sued, but not by Brad. The design was patented in 1959

United States Patent US3062559

By RB Hewitt

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3062559.pdf

I don't think anybody can sue anybody over this now. If the design was patented in 1959, it expired in 1979. Anybody use this patent now.

babelloyd
02-22-2010, 03:43 AM
Hey all,

Pardon my newbieness, but what's a SkyWalker?

Dave

Radical Brad
02-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Let me introduce you!...

http://www.atomiczombie.com/ct-skywalker.html

The video at the end explains it.

Brad

Hey all,

Pardon my newbieness, but what's a SkyWalker?

Dave

babelloyd
02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Oh man, surprise surprise, the SkyWalker is total pure awesome. Are you doing "the horns" in the photo where you're on the ladder and somone else is steering? That just increases the awesome (as the horns always do).

Radical Brad
02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Rock on!!

http://www.lucidscience.com/temp/rockfingers.jpg

Brad