PDA

View Full Version : Stick it to Jay Leno! Become a Pro Welder

TheKid
04-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Thought this was interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASEG5xLlRo&NR=1

KoolKat
04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Finally, someone else touting welding as a skilled trade and how important it is.

Maybe I should finally get started this summer. I already have my helmet, and am anxious to make something myself.

TheKid
04-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Kick Brad in the butt and get him out there to show you some tricks of the trade!

KoolKat
04-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Think I'll need my own welder. Will have to start shopping around.

macka
04-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Think I'll need my own welder. Will have to start shopping around.

I usually go to estate auctions

TheKid
04-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Be careful. You just may up welding things Brad doesn't want to be bothered with. Then again, you could pretend he's Leno and charge him a fortune.

Gerald_G
04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
My only issue with Jay's bit was his remark re: computer workers. As a tech/programmer (who's not making $80K), I felt a little slighted when he seemed to colour us as a useless lot. I agree with Jay's take that hand work in skilled areas is every bit as respectable, and needed as computer programmers, but we are needed too. I see little difference between my trade, and the skilled trades such as carpenters, plumbers, welders, etc. etc.

Just a different set of information required in the head.

rickairmed
04-15-2009, 01:05 AM
My only issue with Jay's bit was his remark re: computer workers. As a tech/programmer (who's not making $80K), I felt a little slighted when he seemed to colour us as a useless lot. I agree with Jay's take that hand work in skilled areas is every bit as respectable, and needed as computer programmers, but we are needed too. I see little difference between my trade, and the skilled trades such as carpenters, plumbers, welders, etc. etc.

Gerald I see a few differances one I dont get a desk or a chair :D. I still have to be able to do some programing though on some of the ultra fancy new thermostats . I agree though both of us are needed personally I would go nuts stuck behind a desk all day long inside an office :D.

Rick

KoolKat
04-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, that was a bit of a slight. He could have re-phrased that better, although I understood what he was really trying to say. The focus has been high-tech for decades compared to the non-computer trades which are in dire need of skilled workers due to aging population and reduce apprenticeships to carry on the much needed skilled work. All the more reason for me to seriously start my welding lessons this summer. By the sounds of it, welding work is a-plenty these days!

Gerald_G
04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Ironically I work the computers at a college that has a large trades apprenticeship program, including welding.

rickairmed
04-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Gerald I own an HVAC company and I can tell you there are not very many peaple in my trade under the age of 30 thata I know of . I actually told my second oldest daughter today that she needs to look into welding schools . She was looking at career possiblities as an Automotive Tech . I told her I know ALOT of mechanics who are laid off but I dont know any welders that dont have all the work they can handle :D.

Rick