PDA

View Full Version : Ello all, Manchester NH

Zwolf
04-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Ello,

I'm a "professional" welder trained in a trade school with a few years of outside on the job experience. I got hurt in 2000 and screwed up my body pretty bad and then developed RSDS, Fibro, Arthritis, Bursitis... and other things. Anyways, I really miss riding a bike, but with my problems I can't ride a normal bike. My left side is screwed up so it's hard and painful for me to pedal with my left leg. I came on here hoping that I would be able to make something from here that I could ride. I've tried the tandem bike thing but getting up on it without falling over is pretty humorous to watch. I saw the trikes here and was intrigued, but I need to ask something. How is it peddling them? I mean is it tough on the ankles and legs and if so, is there something that could be done to ease the pressure? Also, is it possible to add shocks to them with out a lot of difficulty? I'm looking at the Street Fighter Quad and the Load Runner specifically. The Load Runner is nice with the cargo room so, if I can ride this thing, my family and I could go on a bike ride and I could bring the pick nick stuff and have a place for my cane. I really like the Street Fighter Quad because it looks very stable... and looks like it would be loads of fun going down the hills around here on. :helmet:

But yeah, anyways, I just really miss riding my bike and now that we have our own house with a place to ride and the kids have bikes, I'm really missing it seeing the fun their having. So, here's to hopping I can get my butt back on a bike and join them on their rides.

John Lewis
04-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Hello Zwolf, welcome to the nuthouse.

To answer your questions. First I know a guy who as a bike courier was in a horrendous crash. All the stuff like you plus a leg that won't bend properly and a short leg I think. When not on the trike he is in a wheelchair. I rode a 560km ride in hilly Tasmania with him and he left me way behind.

He has a Greenspeed tadpole trike and boy can he move. When he rides his whole body moves as one side of his butt keeps lifting due to the knee and leg problem. The important thing is he is able to ride so I see no problem why you can't.

Now pedalling. It can be tough on the knees if you use a high gear and grind away with excess pressure on the pedals. The trick is to use low gears and spin the pedals up round 80rpm or better. Using shorter cranks is also beneficial as you don't bend the leg as much and its easier to spin faster.

Putting suspension on the quad or the LodeRunner would be pretty difficult without major re engineering I think. There is a way out though and that is to use Big Apple tires. they will give quite a soft ride because they are wide and low pressure. The downside would be slightly higher rolling resistance. A mesh seat laced with bungey is usual on many trikes including mine and takes a lot of the road bumps out also.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will come up with suggestions too.

John Lewis

KoolKat
04-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Welcome aboard, Zwolf. We're here to help. :sunny:

gbbwolf
04-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Welcome to the madness.
I have a few health issues my self and a big weight problem which is coming under control with diet and exercise, mostly on my deltawolf.

You could always build one get an electric hub motor so then If you got too tired or sore to peddle you could hit the switch and still enjoy the ride with family and freinds.

As for the knee and leg problems, as he said I usually gear down and have little problem, I also dropped my bottom bracket below the main boom and got shorter cranks, No problems with knees, If I just remember to gear down and not try to force the peddles just spin them.

Hope this helps, If you were in indiana i would let ya ride my trike and I think you would be amazed how easy it is to peddle.

Nelson

sksound5
04-26-2009, 11:32 PM
I will be in chester vt in mid may, I can bring a trike if you want to try it, not homemade but will give you an dea, also there is a bike shop in turners falls mass that might give you a test ride, basically bicycles. If you like then build your own and save 800$ to $1000. contact me here if you want to set up.

Zwolf
04-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah, that would be really spiffy. I lack vehicular transportation and the old lady has schooling to do so she is usually off with the car when most places are open., so driving anywhere is pretty much a nil thing. One of the reasons I want the trike, specifically the Load Runner, is so I can get to like the library or something and still be able to bring books or the like home with me.

TheKid
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I also have multiple leg problems. I shortened the cranks and raised the seat on my tadpole, and use short cranks on my Delta Runner. (That's it in my avatar). The Runner is lighter in weight than the Load Runner, and you can easily put a box on it for carrying things. I carry my lock, some tools for repairs on the road, a folding cane, and a few bags of groceries. It's geared pretty low, but I'm adding a small motor for help getting up hills.
Either the DR or LR will help with your leg problems because the seat is higher than the cranks, and it could be raised slightly higher, which I did on the DR. The only thing I forgot about, was that with my weight and the design already having a fairly high center of gravity, I should have made it 3-4" wider when deciding to raise the seat. John gives good advice about spinning rather than pushing. I find that I can ride for much longer distances when spinning.
The first pic is my Streetfox. Even though the seat was raised and the cranks were mounted below the boom, I still needed the seat higher and more upright. That trike is now a LWB tadpole that will get a hub motor. The second pic is the Delta Runner.

http://atomiczombie.com/gallery/ej-edison/trike.htm

http://atomiczombie.com/gallery/ej-edison/delta.htm

trikeman
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
You might also want to consider a hand powered trike. I know I see guys without legs really moving on them on the trail I ride on. Maybe some kind of variation on Brad's UCan2 might work for you. I think you could adapt that propulsion system to a DeltaWolf pretty easily.

http://www.atomiczombie.com/product-handcycle.htm

Maybe build it to look something like this:

http://www.handcycleracing.com/Handcycles.html

Zwolf
04-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I like the Load Runner for the trunk and for the claimed {I say claimed not cause I don't believe people around here but because I haven't seen/tested it myself, so...} 500 lbs load capacity. I'm already a little over 300 lbs and once the wife starts clinical's, I may have to be doing some grocery shopping with it.

The hand cycles are nifty looking and real different from what I've seen before, but it's the whole left side that's screwed up on me and the lower right, so a hand trike wouldn't be to much better. I'm already used to the glass grind in my legs, so I'll just keep with the pain I know rather than find a new one. :D

At the moment I am just waiting till I can get my work shop moved back a foot and a half or so. Once that's done I can start chopping up the bike graveyard in the back yard before SWMBO says to get rid of them.

fatfreddy
04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
YEEEEO Manchester N.H. I'm fatfreddy I live in Lebanon,Maine that is is why i'm here too I'm messed up from the ribs down and can move almost normally but it all just hurts to do it. I'm trying a chopper at this point Butlding it my self.
I may build something that don't work for me.If so I'll try to change it again.
I understand how the problems can get you down. Don't let that happen.
as you explore this site and many others you will see some incredible stuff that is being made and ridden.
I would have to believe that there is a bike out there for every one. or it can be built.
I just wanted to go for a ride with My little grand kids and that started a whole thing in the last few weeks..
SO hang in there and it is easier to modify and build a bike that you think .
I can't believe how easy it has been. But I have about 1 hour at a time that i can be up and around before the pain just shuts me right back down.
SO Good for you and BY the way I weight 380. I swelled up from bad meds over the winter..
For a while as I was prototyg I thought I was in the "Build It 'n' Bend it "
bike club.
SO I will follow your mission and i'll bet these folks will help yopu out just great!
Okay then Now I shut up.
hey did you know they actually let humans come in here too?

Zwolf
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Damn FF, you certainly write with a lot of energy! :D But yeah, I got into the whole idea of building a bike cause I felt left out when the kids went on a ride and bad cause the wife stayed at home just cause I couldn't go. So, I'm gonna build myself a bike and blow them all away with my awesome speed... ok, I'll be happy to keep up going down hill. :)

I would have started already hacking up the bikes I have, but still can't find anyone I know willing to help me move my shop a foot and a half back. I keep getting told to put it on rollers, skipping the physical problems I have precluding me from doing that, I got no jacks and I would have to do some under digging to get the rollers under it. Others are telling me to slide it on the cinder blocks, again skipping the physical limitations, I can't see the cinders staying put to well while the shop is pushed along on them. I may end up having to higher someone for more than we can afford, which will just mean I'll have the shop building, maybe some electrical rough in, but no money to get the power hook up or materials. :D

When life give you lemons... squirt them into someone's eyes who's doing better than you... or something like that.

TheKid
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I still say go back to your building dept. and apply for a variance. Your disabilities may be considered a mitigating factor. It doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you get chummy with a local elected official. Schmoozing those guys helped me a lot.

Zwolf
04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
$400 just to apply for the variance and no guarantee that we will get it and no, they don't give you the money back if you don't. Around here the inspectors are so tight... er... wait, no... Their all excessively nice and have never caused any problems whats so ever. {Looks around thinking it would be just his luck that one of the inspectors or relatives there of would be on this board} No, but seriously, the inspectors are fine, but their hands are tied up in all the red tape. We are not allowed to have a yard sale unless we get a permit, we're not allowed to have any kind of social fire during a cook out, and I think, though I am not sure cause I refuse to ask in case they say yes, I think we need a permit to take a leak too.

Though I may have a line on some rail road rails that I could try and run under the shop and then slide it along there... though I still don't have any jacks to get it up... so... :D

TheKid
04-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Commie b#$&@*&$!

fatfreddy
04-30-2009, 10:54 AM
WELl that was wierd I typed my thoughts and then wattched them get deleted. OKAY I'll try this again.
Look in the phone book for a Grace church or a Community church.
they are usually interdenominational.They follow the ***** to a more practical aspect.
and On ething the ***** teaches is that they help people with stuff.
You have a perfect project here. Maybe a day spent with thier workers .
They will put you on a list and help you with the tools.Usually the crew they send out has every thing you need ,because it is made up of people that work in that trade.and they volunteer for work days to help thier community.
SO That is my best advice . You don't have to be a member and get converted ,and they won't usually bother you about youyr religion.
They will just send a crew out to helpm you..

Zwolf
05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
WOOO! I got my shop moved over the weekend and got my pass on the inspection. Picked up the electrical permit today and hope to begin doing the electrical install this weekend. Wish me luck I don't electrocute myself. :D

Oh, and a friend came by over the weekend and damn near lifted the thing up to move it. He scares me somethings...

TheKid
05-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Wish me luck I don't electrocute myself.

Oh, and a friend came by over the weekend and damn near lifted the thing up to move it. He scares me somethings...

Good luck, although I have full confidence in your ability to install the electrical system. Your friend sounds like my neighbor. One Christmas he saw a 6' tree he liked but didn't have a saw or a shovel, so he ripped it out of the ground.

Zwolf
05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, my friend is a beast of a guy. He does HVAC and throws, yes litteraly, boilers around all day. When I had to move my foot shear {When selling it} he picked it up himself and held it as we set fridge dollies under it. The foot shear weighed a little over 1 ton... He really scares me sometimes...

sksound5
05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
sorry but can not let you test drive a bike, army changed plans and I will not be in your area next weekend, now headed to southern mass area,

Zwolf
05-11-2009, 09:09 PM
No worries, it's the thought that counts. Thanks anyways. :)

TheKid
05-11-2009, 10:07 PM
The foot shear weighed a little over 1 ton... He really scares me sometimes...

I knew a guy like that. We were in a band and a bar owner refused to pay us, saying he didn't make any money. This was a busy place with lines around the block every weekend, including the one when we were there. When our agent informed us we were going to have to go to small claims court to get paid, our lead guitar player said there was no need to go to court, then picked up the juke box and proceeded to walk out with it. The owner ordered the bouncers to stop him, but they refused. We got paid.

Zwolf
05-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Ha! Nice! :D

Zwolf
05-16-2009, 11:03 PM
GUESS WHAT!!!! I got my shop moved the foot and a half and I got the electrical finished up Friday. So yeah! Monday I get to call up and get the inspection done and get it passed I'll be starting on my first bike! Gonna make the 360 Spin first since all I have is the stick welder at the moment, need some argon for the TIG, so that will be a little bit. But yeah!!! Party over here and all that stuff! I so can't wait to get welding again... it's been ttoooo long since I last welded...

Zwolf
05-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Woo! Shop is up and passed on both structural and electrical inspections. Just gotta finish putting everything away, get some square stock, and some argon and away I'll b e going! I plan to make the spincycle first, I got all the parts floating around for it and it'll be a good first project to practice with. Hey, I'll even get to start another post rather than just tacking onto here. :D

GregLWB
05-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Woo! Shop is up and passed on both structural and electrical inspections. Just gotta finish putting everything away, get some square stock, and some argon and away I'll b e going! I plan to make the spincycle first, I got all the parts floating around for it and it'll be a good first project to practice with. Hey, I'll even get to start another post rather than just tacking onto here. :D

Cool, we'll be expecting something by Monday!:jester: HeeHee!

Great news.

Greg

Zwolf
05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm heading out there in a bit and hopefully finish up putting things away. With any luck I will have something to post by Saturday I hope. A bunch of cut up pieces maybe, but it'll be something.