PDA

View Full Version : glacial highracer

sksound5
03-29-2009, 11:04 PM
I have finally started after months of cold weather gathering of stuff. Plan is to build 2 high racers for girls so my bikes are left alone. Obstacles include wife with purse strings, working nights and kids who want to do all the work, occasionally, also failing memory from sleep depervation. I hope to include pix of equipment/donor bikes, what I want to protect, helpers in action and results of work. Welder and mask came through ebay, 6 donor bikes through free cycle including 2 nice mountain bikes kept whole so the kids do have something to ride. Props to the Atomiczombie group, I have been lurking and watching other builds for months, with the occasional question tossed in. Already stumbles out of gate, don't know how to import pix on

sksound5
04-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Update, just managed to post pix at brol forum for homebuilders under carbon plans. Photo made it there so I thought to try here again. Kinda shammed into it by comreich. Hope it works.

sksound5
04-17-2009, 02:50 AM
did not work, apple just doesn't want to post here. Have been watching the 3 other highrollers being built, you bikes look great. If I ever see them on the road I hope to have my hurricane with me, just to keep up!

Locutus
04-17-2009, 10:27 AM
did not work, apple just doesn't want to post here. Have been watching the 3 other highrollers being built, you bikes look great. If I ever see them on the road I hope to have my hurricane with me, just to keep up!

Start a Photobucket account and upload your photos to it. Open your album in Photobucket, click on the thumbnail. When the photo displays it will be 80% or 68% size, depending on whether it's portrait or landscape orientation. To change it to full size, move your cursor to the upper left corner of the photo. Click on the "full size" pop-up box. When the full size photo displays, right click on it. Select "properties," highlight the URL, CTRL-C to copy. Then go to the AZ forum and reply to your own thread. At the top of your edit window is an icon that looks like a mountain with the sun or moon above it. Click on it. A window pops up to fill in with your photo URL. If it is preloaded with "http://," erase that first, as your copied URL already has it. Paste in the URL from Photobucket and click OK. That's it. When you preview or save your entry, you will see the photo in your post.

Greenhorn
04-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I just copy and paste the URL from photbucket right into the message without using the mountain/moon icon

GregLWB
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I just copy and paste the URL from photbucket right into the message without using the mountain/moon icon

Greenhorn - I do it the same way as you.:)

sound - I can't wait to see your progress. I will/have had some success with building with kids (limited but fun). My youngest daughter will be helping me when we start her DR.:1eye:

Greg

comreich
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey, no shaming, just providing an opportunity (and impetus) to show off your work :) The picture on BROL, and your report, looks like you've made good progress so far.

sksound5
04-18-2009, 01:25 AM
will try photobucket after this weekend, have to work, thanks for tip

sksound5
04-21-2009, 08:10 PM
http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/sksound5/?action=view&current=DSC00536.jpg this is the bike the daughter tries to http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/sksound5/?action=view&current=DSC00531-1.jpg Making her help(bonding)

sksound5
04-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Somehow managed to post photobucket and not each pix as I wanted. This apple is harder then welding when it comes to posting pix. Currently bike is been altered to see what 700 road wheels look like on it. With 700 it is to tall for daughter. Bike might have adjustable seat as the first bracket I made got splatter in threads. I can't get the little drops out so I made another bottom bracket.
Down to seat and handle bars, thinking of ape hanger style from old banana schwinn bike. This is never going to be pretty but it might just be functional.
2 mountain bikes in pix were donors that were to to nice to cut. I figured that the girls got "new bikes" and I used their old bikes for parts. If I screw up they are still ahead of game.
thanks for patience on the glacier project/photos. Plan on improving as time goes on.

comreich
04-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Good work so far sksound5. I hear you on the bottom bracket. My trike I must have welded the thing three or four times. Seems I did that on my low-racer too with the head tube. Just a learning thing; don't let it throw you. You'll get there :)

GregLWB
04-22-2009, 12:57 AM
The important thing is the time with the daughter. Enjoy it now while they still want to.:jester:

Greg

sksound5
04-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Just got back from Army time, missed great weekend to work, now misses wants yard and garden done. I was hoping to finish this week. Glacier moves even slower.

sksound5
06-04-2009, 11:06 AM
another try at pix

sksound5
06-04-2009, 11:10 AM
how about that. Progress is made. Seat is skateboard($8 wally world) on adjustable front bracket that did not work. Front chainring and seat both are adjustable. Many hurdles to go. will post more later.. .

sksound5
06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
more about the seat, needs more support but Mckenzie said it felt good. Mechanicals not attached yet but she was able to sit and coast on it

sksound5
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM
still having upload issues

comreich
06-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Now that I see your skateboard seat, I should have done that on my high racer. It would quite a bit lighter than the EMT/Snowboard that I used. The snowboard itself is pretty light, but the EMT frame needed to stiffen it adds too much weight. Your plan seems a lot lighter. Good job.

Have you tried running a chain on it yet, because I see the potential for a chainline problem with the rear forks turned upward? Still, the build looks quite good.

alecw35
06-04-2009, 06:34 PM
copy the last picture code from photobucket.
then paste it on your message.

sometimes photobucket gets cranky if you upload a lot of pics to it at a time

sksound5
06-04-2009, 06:35 PM
had chain on for couple of min with no idlers and derailers not wired up, chain staid on for 4 -5 cranks. Other problems front brake hitting boom, leg/handlebar interference more of problem. by the way I was looking for snowboard at wally world but it was wrong season. So trying to barrow on your idea led to skateboard

Greenhorn
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
another try at pix

nice idea on the skateboard. That would have made life much easier. I will remember that for my next build

GregLWB
06-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Good progress.:sunny: I like the skateboard idea, I might have to steal that idea too.:1eye:

Greg