PDA

View Full Version : Question re: placement of seat support

Greenhorn
03-04-2009, 05:12 PM
The design for the HR states that the seat support should be placed at least 7 inches away from the joint with the rear forks. I was wondering if the 7 inch figure was just a useful point for sizing purposes or whether it affected the structural integrity of the bike in any way. Is there any problem if I move the seat back further, or does that place too much load on the joint with the forks?

GregLWB
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
The design for the HR states that the seat support should be placed at least 7 inches away from the joint with the rear forks. I was wondering if the 7 inch figure was just a useful point for sizing purposes or whether it affected the structural integrity of the bike in any way. Is there any problem if I move the seat back further, or does that place too much load on the joint with the forks?

I think in the plans Brad says that this measurement was mainly to get the crank and pedals far enough forward to not have hard contact with the front wheel. I think he also said that someone really tall could probably move it back. I don't have the plans in front of me right now or I would give you the page number. Hope that helps.

Greg

Greenhorn
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
If thats the case, then I have no problem. I want to shorten the wheelbase to be more around the 45-46 area, so I will prob move the front wheel back a few inches anyways.

pcorbett
03-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I wondered that also GH but like Greg say's off the plan is a general measurement, plus or minus. You would have to watch for pedal strike on the front wheel, Brad states that. I shortened the main boom on my daughters HighRoller and messed with the seat placement. My daughter is 5-2 and with moving the cranks back for her, I still don't get pedal strike. When I adjust the cranks out for me at 5-8, the cranks are almost out of boom. It's your custom HighRoller, make yourself happy. Make it pleasing to the eye and a good ride.

Beer you later,

Pete

Radical Brad
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Yes, besides hard interference with the pedal and front wheel, you can generally alter the measurements.

Heel strike is not a problem, but pedal strike would be really bad!

Brad