PDA

View Full Version : I'm actually building one!

GregLWB
02-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi guys,

I actually cut up a bike and started on my HR today. Boy, if I could weld better it would sure go faster (tack, grind off, try to tack again, grind off, tack, clean up, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld some more, grind some more and it's still ugly) but hey its holding and it won't break off even with trying hard.

I had fun and learned alot and I guess that's the point. I don't think I'll finish as fast as some of you, but I'll try to post the pictures along the way. I'm still feeling stupid because I can't figure out how to get my pictures to show up in the body of the post like most of you seem to be able to.

Thank you all for the encouragement and all the answers to my questions that made me feel like I could learn to do this.

Greg

MoeMac
02-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi guys,

I actually cut up a bike and started on my HR today. Boy, if I could weld better it would sure go faster (tack, grind off, try to tack again, grind off, tack, clean up, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld some more, grind some more and it's still ugly) but hey its holding and it won't break off even with trying hard.

I had fun and learned alot and I guess that's the point. I don't think I'll finish as fast as some of you, but I'll try to post the pictures along the way. I'm still feeling stupid because I can't figure out how to get my pictures to show up in the body of the post like most of you seem to be able to.

Thank you all for the encouragement and all the answers to my questions that made me feel like I could learn to do this.

Greg

Greg you are doing good!!

Our first was like yours and some of mine was even worst... LOL!!

For thepictures this is what you do:

First set yourself up with a Photbucket account at:

http://photobucket.com/

Up load your photos there... once they are there you will be able to copy the direct link. Then in your messages click on the picture icon and paste the copied url in the field and then presto! It is done!

Hey... You are part of the family! and like Kat says... No one is left behind!

GregLWB
02-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks Moe,

It took me about three hours to weld the plate on the end of the tube and then the round tube to it. It gives me hope to see that with practice I might be able to turn out stuff a lot faster like you all.

Greg

rickairmed
02-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Greg welding is like riding a bicycle :D the more you do it the beter you get at it . Looks like your moving along well . I still havent finished the Baby streetfox yet granted work has goten in the way alot recently :D not that I am complaining LOL.

Rick

lock
02-22-2009, 05:01 AM
Hi Greg,
Don't worry! I know exactly how you feel. You are doing really well looks like its coming along nicely. I hear your pain with the weld, grind repeat ritual it does get frustrating, the light at the end of the tunnel is improved welding and fitting skills and a custom bike that you'll love to ride!!! Good luck and keep us posted with more pics.

SirJoey
02-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Hey, you're doing pretty good, Greg! Like Rick said, you just gotta get in some practice time.
Some folks pick it up faster than others, MOST faster than me. After a year & a half,
I'm still not very good at it, but I can get two pieces to stick together. :wacky:

Just keep after it, & keep a good pictorial record of your progress.
Then, you'll be able to look back & see how far you've really come!

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

pcorbett
02-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Don't let anyone turn you 'round, your doing it. Your welding skills will improve with time, just keep at it. Do take pictures, at least as a reference for your other builds, but for our eyeballs to see :1eye:.

May your disease spread to others.

Pete

Greenhorn
02-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Nice. Hey give yourself some credit. You actually started your build. I am still sputtering gunk on bar metal. Hopefully, I'll be able to have enough confidence to get where you are in a few weeks.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting pics. :rockon:

GregLWB
02-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi guys, I didn't realize till I looked at what I wrote last night that I may have sounded down. Just tired but in that good way from doing something creative or that you enjoy!

Slept good, but kept dreaming about the next step and finding a 20" front fork with brake studs. I looked through the spare bikes in the shed (20"ers but none with brake studs) so I will have to hunt one down. I guess if I can't find one right away I can start on the BB and other things.

Thanks to all for the positive feedback and Lock I really liked your work table design (simple but sturdy) and may make something similar in the future.

Greg

GregLWB
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice. Hey give yourself some credit. You actually started your build. I am still sputtering gunk on bar metal. :rockon:

I've been doing the same and just finally decided that my sputtering on flat stock actually was looking like welding and I was ready to try a build. I figured what the heck, I have a sawzall and a bunch of zip disks for my grinder so worst case I could cut it all back apart and try again.:builder2:

Greg

GregLWB
02-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Well some more progress today. My youngest boy has shown some interest and so Thursday on my way home I bought another welding helmet and a face shield for grinding so that he can help me. He came out today and helped for a little while.:D

So here are some more pictures.

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture011.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture012.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture013.jpg

trikeman
02-28-2009, 07:44 PM
That is starting to look really good. You will be riding it very soon.

pcorbett
02-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice job Greg. ..........but I can tell from the last picture you have lost it already. Your son, the claimer, is bonding with it. Your lucky! You get to make another one.

Pete

Took my TourMaster into town today and did my banking. Had a blast freaking out "still in winter mode" people. Ride on :punk:.

GregLWB
02-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Nice job Greg. ..........but I can tell from the last picture you have lost it already. Your son, the claimer, is bonding with it. Your lucky! You get to make another one.

Ride on :punk:.

No Pete, I think he'll be more prone to claim a trike when I build one. He is the one that claimed the Mongoose bike that I found at the thrift store. It's exciting to see him get interested in some of these things. He has Asperger's syndrome (which is a very high functioning form of Autism) and just learned to ride a bike last summer (when he was 11). Now, he purposely missed the school bus this week when we had snow because he wanted to see how his bike handled in the snow. He told me it cut through the snow like a shark through water! LOL.

Greg

rickairmed
02-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Greg its good to see you moving forward with the build and also good to see you now have a helper to hang with you in the shop. My 15 almost 16 year old took an interest in welding last year and is on me all the time to play in the shop with the big sparkler :D. I also have one with Aspergers my youngest who is going on 14 next week . I think it will be a great way for you and your son to hang together and build kewl things out in the shop.

Rick

SirJoey
02-28-2009, 08:47 PM
That is shaping up nicely, Greg!
Keep up the good work! :)

Greenhorn
02-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Very nice.

GregLWB
02-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Still have some filler welding to do so that I can get a nice smooth finish at the joints. But I found that for me 1/16" 7014 rod was too thin. I picked up some 3/32 6011 rod and that has been much easeir too weld. I don't blow through the tube as easily and my welds actually are starting to look like a row of pancakes on the angled welds now! Still a lot of grinding.

Very nice.

Greenhorn - I saw your other thread and know exactly where you're coming from. I would practice some on blowing holes through the 1/16" stuff and then filling them because if you are anything like me that's a skill you will need right away:jester:. Like you I got bored practicing making lines and such so I say go face Vader, dude! The worst that will happen is that you and your grinder will become really good friends.:evilgrin:

Greg

SirJoey
02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Well Greg, at least you're welding with a real welder.
After a year & a half, I can't even weld with a MIG!
Can you imagine the nightmarish abortion I'd create if I tried to use a stick?!! :eek:

jimFPU
02-28-2009, 10:20 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]After a year & a half, I can't even weld with a MIG!
COLOR]OK you need to cut it out. He who has like 10 Zombie machines...you are hereby limited to saying that only once per thread.

SirJoey
03-01-2009, 04:05 PM
OK you need to cut it out. He who has like 10 Zombie machines...you are hereby limited to saying that only once per thread.Yeah, but most of 'em are held together with JB Weld...

GregLWB
03-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Well I just learned something today. The bike I have been using for parts is actually CroMo. I found a small stamp that I didn't see before. Now I know why I've been blowing holes through it and why it has been so hard to weld.

Today I was trying to get the BB ready and spent a couple hours trying to get it welded and the holes filled. After I figured out the CroMo I cut off the seat tube ground down the welds and cut the seat tube off of my wifes old Huffy. As soon as I sanded it I could tell the difference. Took me about 20 minutes to tack it make it straight, clean the slag and then welded it up. Tomorrow I will try to make and weld on the clamping system and will take pictures.

I think that I am going to cut off the rear forks and weld some others on because I realized they are CroMo also and I think I will have a stronger bike if I do.

Greg

Greenhorn
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Well I just learned something today. The bike I have been using for parts is actually CroMo. I found a small stamp that I didn't see before. Now I know why I've been blowing holes through it and why it has been so hard to weld.

Today I was trying to get the BB ready and spent a couple hours trying to get it welded and the holes filled. After I figured out the CroMo I cut off the seat tube ground down the welds and cut the seat tube off of my wifes old Huffy. As soon as I sanded it I could tell the difference. Took me about 20 minutes to tack it make it straight, clean the slag and then welded it up. Tomorrow I will try to make and weld on the clamping system and will take pictures.

I think that I am going to cut off the rear forks and weld some others on because I realized they are CroMo also and I think I will have a stronger bike if I do.

Greg

Question for you....how to you fill the holes without getting spatter on the threads inside?

rickairmed
03-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Greenhorn just put some anti sieze on the bearing cups and reinstall them while you are welding . You can get anti sieze at any auto parts store.

Rick

GregLWB
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Greenhorn just put some anti sieze on the bearing cups and reinstall them while you are welding . You can get anti sieze at any auto parts store.

Rick

Yep, saw that tip on another thread by RichieRich I think and that's what I did. It worked so well that I could see both cups unscrewing themselves while I was grinding the BB. LOL

Rick, Steelman or anyone else please give me advice on my previous post about cutting off the rear forks. Am I being practical or just paranoid?

Greg

rickairmed
03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Greg I would say leave them alone they seem to be fully welded to me Chromo can be welded although as you have found it is a bit of a challange . I dont think you will have any problems with them so leave them there :D.

Rick

trikeman
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I understand that Chromo doesn't like to be cooled quickly (as it does after a MIG weld), and it makes it weaker and prone to crack. That said, I have never noticed any difference in the way it behaves when I have welded pieces of it off old bikes. Maybe I have just been lucky.

When Chromo is TIG'd they sometimes recommend heat treating it. When it is welded with O/A, which is what it was originally designed to be welded with, it cools slowly and is fine. So..if you are worried about it, could you just heat it up to cherry read with a propane torch and let it cool back down slowly?

GregLWB
03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I understand that Chromo doesn't like to be cooled quickly (as it does after a MIG weld), and it makes it weaker and prone to crack. That said, I have never noticed any difference in the way it behaves when I have welded pieces of it off old bikes. Maybe I have just been lucky.

When Chromo is TIG'd they sometimes recommend heat treating it. When it is welded with O/A, which is what it was originally designed to be welded with, it cools slowly and is fine. So..if you are worried about it, could you just heat it up to cherry read with a propane torch and let it cool back down slowly?

I'm stick welding in a 40-50 degree garage.
Greg

rickairmed
03-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Greg have your helper hold your bike upright while you sit on it and give it a few bounces if it breaks change it if it doesnt your fine :D.

Rick

rickairmed
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
They use cromo in roll cages in race cars and it is welded together and holds fine I dont think you will have any problems.

Rick

jimFPU
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but most of 'em are held together with JB Weld...

Which makes for a great Mother of *****, I hear!! LOL!!!!:wings:

SirJoey
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
While squeezing the stuff out of the tube, I do that little "half-moon, semi-circle" movement
that most guys do with an actual welder, & dang, if it doesn't look like the real thing:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1153/steeringassemblyfinishe.jpg

HOLDS just like the real thing, too!

What a shame... for the money I wasted on this useless MIG,
I coulda bought a boxcar-full of JB Weld! :rolleyes:

Richie Rich
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
What's next, Joey....Duct Tape...????

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/2057555_91aba764e6.jpg?v=0

:jester:

trikeman
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
In defense of JB Weld, I recently found something that it did very well. The brake light on my motorcycle was staying on all the time because the aluminum brake lever was not pushing the switch that turns it off down far enough. It only needed about an adjustment of about 1/32"-1/16", but try as I might I could not get it to work. So.. after checking with the dealer and finding that they wanted $28 for a new (must be made of gold) switch, I decided to try and shim it with something. Since a functioning brake light is kind of important on a motorcycle, whatever I used had to stay there and not fall off. The button that turns the switch off is only plastic, so I knew I didn't need anything more robust than that. After thinking about it for several days and drawing blanks, I finally decided to put a small spot of JB Weld on the brake lever with a toothpick where it hit the switch. Worked like a champ and I haven't had any trouble with it since. I check all my lights before a ride anyway.

SirJoey
03-04-2009, 08:31 AM
What's next, Joey....Duct Tape...???Hmmm... duct tape...
:thinking2:

Congratulations on posting one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen, Richie!
That one gets added to my collection of "strange & unusual", for sure!

Radical Brad
03-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey, you found my beam reflector bike. When I ride that one, the aliens cannot control my mind because it deflects the MK-Ultra beam back into space.

Brad

Greenhorn
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
What's next, Joey....Duct Tape...????

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/2057555_91aba764e6.jpg?v=0

Does it come with a tinfoil helmet?

macka
03-04-2009, 04:10 PM
yes it does http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/goal4ziggy/tinfoil-hat.jpg

Radical Brad
03-05-2009, 12:11 AM
He isn't that Bill Gates in the background???

Brad

GregLWB
03-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Okay, back on topic.

I worked all day out in the garage (except when I had to run for bolts and to pick up the steel for my next project the LodeRunner). I'm still not up to the speed that a few of you work but I think I did pretty good.

Here's the next picture of my HR progress.

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/HighRoller5.jpg

rickairmed
03-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Looking good Greg wont be long now and you'll be going for a crash test :D.

Rick

GregLWB
03-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Looking good Greg wont be long now and you'll be going for a crash test :D.

Rick

Hope not! Still have a scar on my knee from a year ago on the maiden voyage of my LWB with the tiller steer. Wasn't set up quite right and went down about 15 mph on my left knee. That was the first and only time (knocking on wood).

I really am getting excited though. Even SWMBO says it almost looks like a bike now.:rolleyes4:

Greg

Radical Brad
03-07-2009, 03:18 AM
great progress!

Brad

taloch
03-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Almost there now, and looking great!

SirJoey
03-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Heck yeah, that's some GOOD progress, Greg! Lookin' good!

Incidentally, "crash test" is just what we jokingly call the first test ride around here.
Hopefully, there's no actual "crash" involved, provided nothing falls off, welds don't fail, brakes hold up, etc, etc... :D

GregLWB
03-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the good words guys.

Here's today's progress before the Harbor Freight 4.5 inch grinder cord shorted, I wiggled it and then the motor arced and then it caught fire. I threw it down and it was still arcing and burning while I unplugged it!:sweatdrop:

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/HighRoller6.jpg

SirJoey
03-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Dude, you are SMOKIN'! :punk:

...and so's your grinder! :jester:

pcorbett
03-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm never happy till something catches fire.

I noticed you had to add to the seat stays. Me too. I bent the ends in a little and connected them into one useing a oval fork tube of an Italian road bike. The tube comes in handy to grab with my work clamp.

http://home.comcast.net/~ppcorbett/pwpimages/HighRollerSeatstay.JPG

Keep up your good work.

Pete

rickairmed
03-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Greg the good news is Home depot has a 2 pack of Makita 4" grinders right now for $99.00.

Rick

GregLWB
03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm never happy till something catches fire.

I noticed you had to add to the seat stays. Me too. I bent the ends in a little and connected them into one useing a oval fork tube of an Italian road bike. The tube comes in handy to grab with my work clamp.

Keep up your good work.

Pete

Yeah, I'm not just big, I'm tall too (6'8") so that is most of the chain stays plus about 2/3rds of the seat stays. Boy, if I had seen your picture before I did mine I might have done it that way instead. Looks like a great place to grab if you need to pick up the bike.

Well the seat tabs are next. Have to replace the grinder first. SWMBO stopped by Harbor Freight this afternoon on her way to the inlaws to have them replace it under warranty.:)

Greg

GregLWB
03-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Greg the good news is Home depot has a 2 pack of Makita 4" grinders right now for $99.00.

Rick

Wow, that's a good price for two.

Greg

pcorbett
03-07-2009, 09:39 PM
It's never to late to change that seat stay. I'm always changing the steering on the LWB till I get it where I like it. I'm not talking cutting tack welds free, I go the full monty. Don't fight it. Relax and take a deep breath and then hack the damm thing off and put her right. You will feel better.

Pete

Edit: Bend in is a harsh word. I ran a saw cut part way through before I bent it in.

Pete

GregLWB
03-07-2009, 09:44 PM
It's never to late to change that seat stay. I'm always changing the steering on the LWB till I get it where I like it. I'm not talking cutting tack welds free, I go the full monty. Don't fight it. Relax and take a deep breath and then hack the damm thing off and put her right. You will feel better.

Pete

I'll have to mull it over for a few days, maybe mock up one like yours and see which lines feel right.

Greg

rickairmed
03-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow, that's a good price for two.

Greg

I thought so to only problem was between getting SWMBO a new 12 volt lithium Ryobi drill and a little over $200.00 of copper pipe and such to run new airlines in my garage I would have been in big trouble if I had blown another $100.00 on grinders today :D.

Rick

GregLWB
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I thought so to only problem was between getting SWMBO a new 12 volt lithium Ryobi drill and a little over $200.00 of copper pipe and such to run new airlines in my garage I would have been in big trouble if I had blown another $100.00 on grinders today :D.

Rick

Rick, do you have those semi truck tool sales come to your area? I bought a Factory Reconditioned Rigid 18 Volt 1/2 w/2-2.5 Ah batteries and a smart charger for ~$70. I've had Makita's, DeWalt's and severel other drills over the years and used them all day everyday for work, but this Rigid is the best drill I've ever used.

Some of my contractor freinds have been using the same drill for 4 years and can't wear it out. Might save you some money.

Greg

rickairmed
03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Greg the 12 volt lithium was for SWMBO . I have more 18 volt Ryobi tools than I can use . I have a trick to geting them though . I watch Home Depot for returns/reconditioned tools and have picked up several of the $200.00+ Ryobi sets for $75.00 or less usually missing one tools from the set. I have half a dozen drills including the 1/2" hammer drill and several circular saws a couple sawzalls flashlights I got flashlights and even a couple of the silly vacuums . I have had really good luck with the 18V Ryobi's and I use them daily in my HVAC business.

Rick

GregLWB
03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Rick - That's a great deal for sets. I don't know how a guy could beat those prices.

Greg

GregLWB
03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Came home and got a little prep work done before I have to go to a meeting. I can't believe the low quality of work some people do! Take a look at the welding that someone called good enough and then painted it and sold it on a bike for a kid.

Also I got my dropouts ready to weld.

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture020.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture021.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture022.jpg

newrider3
03-11-2009, 10:21 PM
This is why you don't ride department store bikes.

GregLWB
03-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Okay I got home from work and spent some time in the garage till SWMBO had to go to a womens group thing at church. She told me I had to cook dinner for the kids tonight (the kids are usually much happier when I cook for them) so I had to cut it short.

I did make some progress though. I rewelded the front forks (or maybe I should say I welded them after the manufacturer was so kind to tack weld them for me:jester:). I made the mounting tabs for the seat and welded them on and I welded on the rear dropouts. The dropouts need a little more adjustment so the wheel can slide all the way back but they are straight and even. I'm no longer worried about the strength of the rear triangle because I almost hurt my back trying to push apart the rear forks the 1/4" I lost when the tabs get welded on the inside.:sweatdrop:

So here are the pictures. Sorry about the dim lighting but by the time I was able to get back out there and put the wheels back on it was already dark.

Greg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture025-1.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture029.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture026.jpg

rickairmed
03-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Looking good Greg and now for your cooking lesson :D keep some zatarans dirtyrice and cheese and some smoked sausage onhand for these occasions :D. I had dinner duty tonight as well 10 minutes prep time bring to a boil tun down to simmer and walk away for 45 minutes :D.

Rick

GregLWB
03-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Looking good Greg and now for your cooking lesson :D keep some zatarans dirtyrice and cheese and some smoked sausage onhand for these occasions :D. I had dinner duty tonight as well 10 minutes prep time bring to a boil tun down to simmer and walk away for 45 minutes :D.

Rick

That's a good idea but the reason the kids like it so much is I scratch cook. Lived a lot of places and been exposed to many different cultures. I'm mostly Dane and Finn and my step mom is from Hong Kong. I can a lot of foods including beef, pork, chicken, turkey and Albacore tuna so I can usually just look in the pantry and the fridge and put something really tasty (that's what the kids say and their friends too) on the table within about a half an hour.

I hope that doesn't come across as a brag just trying to explain.:)

Greg

rickairmed
03-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Greg I understand I can cook when I have to but when your feeding 8 plus or minus one peaple the Zatarans trick is quick and painless tonight 4 pounds of smoked sausage sliced about 3/8" thick and 4 boxes of zatarans toss it in the pot one pound of sausage one box of zatarans and repeat 4 times 10 cups of water and walk away :D.

Rick

GregLWB
03-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Greg I understand I can cook when I have to but when your feeding 8 plus or minus one peaple the Zatarans trick is quick and painless tonight 4 pounds of smoked sausage sliced about 3/8" thick and 4 boxes of zatarans toss it in the pot one pound of sausage one box of zatarans and repeat 4 times 10 cups of water and walk away :D.

Rick

I'll try it.

Greg

GregLWB
03-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Spent most of the day working on the bike and made some progress. I cut off the excess boom length and seat/derailleur tube and capped them. I built the seat base and attached it. Installed front brakes, sealed cartridge BB, 3 chains, and buillt the handlebars. I also changed out the crankset to a 90's race set (38, 52) and installed the front derailleur.

I also went to the LBS and purchased a new Shimano combination 8-speed rapid-fire shifter set (I have the 7 speed version on my commuter bike and really like it) and a Shimano long throw rear derailleur to (will pull up to 43 teeth) to work with the Shimano 8 speed MegaRange 11-34 cassette.

I got tired and my back started hurting or I would have gotten those hooked up too. Well, maybe tommorrow?:) Here are a couple pictures.

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture031.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture034.jpg

comreich
03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Wow, that's one really long chain ;) More seriously, that's looking pretty good. The cockpit looks much like the Vision P38 which people have said is one of the best climbing 'bents around. Hope we can say the same for yours.

trikeman
03-14-2009, 07:52 AM
That is looking great Greg. You will be riding it in no time. Is that a steam box sitting on it?

scootdaddy
03-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Greg you about to make me want to build one of those

Keith

trikeman
03-14-2009, 11:07 AM
That is looking great Greg. You will be riding it in no time. Is that a steam box sitting on it?

DOH!!! I just realized that what I was looking at was the composite board seat. If you look at it just right it looks like a long rectangular box. OK. I will go back to sleep now.

Radical Brad
03-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Great progress.

Brad

GregLWB
03-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks all, I got the shifters/brake levers installed. Hooked up the front brake and derailleur but the rear der. cable was a little too short.

Question - when I welded on the rear dropouts it moved the rear wheel back too far for the brakes to reach (I can't move the pads any lower on the arm towards the post) properly and even with spacers the pads touch the rim at an extreme angle. Does anyone have an idea for a fix?

Greg

comreich
03-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Greg, the same thing has happened to me. For the short term I put regular cantilever brakes on instead of the V-brakes I wanted to use, but the longer term solution is likely to cut off the brake studs and move them down a little bit.

GregLWB
03-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Greg, the same thing has happened to me. For the short term I put regular cantilever brakes on instead of the V-brakes I wanted to use, but the longer term solution is likely to cut off the brake studs and move them down a little bit.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Greg

taloch
03-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Sheldon Brown has written an article about setting up Center-pull (Traditional) Cantilevers. When set up correctly they can be as effective as Vee brakes.

The cyclocross boys use Center-pull (Traditional) Cantilevers on their bikes because of the mud clearance it gives compared to Vee brakes. I rode a friends Cyclox bike and found the Center-pull brakes very effective indeed, it was then he told me about Sheldon Browns set up method. The right kind of brake blocks also should be used, I don't know the name of them but they are much longer than the normal type.

You can find the article here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html

Hope it helps.

:)

comreich
03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Taloch, that's a great set of articles. Excellent pick.

Greg, it's not really so bad :) Just make sure you use a hacksaw to cut the bosses off instead a grinder so that you keep most of the lower post. I did that for both brakes on my TourEasy clone.

http://comreich.ods.org/~reich/long_bike/img_3503.jpg
http://comreich.ods.org/~reich/long_bike/longbike-rearend.jpg

The forks were heavily raked road forks and the rear triangle is also from a road bike, so obviously they weren't set up for cantilevers. I mounted one of brakes on a severed post, held the post in position, tacked it and then measured out the location for the other. Fairly quick job, all things considered.

GregLWB
03-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Taloch - thanks, good article. I have tried putting the various types on, but the problem is the brake posts, they are in the wrong spot (too high for one type, too low for the other. I did put the type of brakes you mention on the front wheel but I would have to add a mounting point for them on the back. I think I'm just going to have to move the brake posts.

comreich - Great pics. Thanks for the info. I think that's the way I need to go.

Greg

Greenhorn
03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Taloch, that's a great set of articles. Excellent pick.

Greg, it's not really so bad :) Just make sure you use a hacksaw to cut the bosses off instead a grinder so that you keep most of the lower post. I did that for both brakes on my TourEasy clone.

http://comreich.ods.org/~reich/long_bike/img_3503.jpg
http://comreich.ods.org/~reich/long_bike/longbike-rearend.jpg

The forks were heavily raked road forks and the rear triangle is also from a road bike, so obviously they weren't set up for cantilevers. I mounted one of brakes on a severed post, held the post in position, tacked it and then measured out the location for the other. Fairly quick job, all things considered.

That's one nice looking bike!

comreich
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
That's one nice looking bike!

Thanks :) But notice that I haven't included a closeup of the powerside of the bike. With the chain hanging like, in Brad's words, a pregnant fish, I have tons of paint chipping on the right hand tube, downtubes and stays.

GregLWB
03-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Okay, I cut off and rewelded the brake posts, hooked up the rear brakes, attached a pulley for the power side of the chain, and attached the return side setup like Brad shows in the plans. I still don't have the rear derailleur cable hooked up, but will pick up the longer one tommorrow.

Here are some pictures of my first trip around the block. My 'helper' took the pictures for me. It went in a straight line but without the rear derailleur hooked up I was stuck in 7th gear.:sweatdrop:

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture035.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture036.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture037.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture038.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture039.jpg

Greenhorn
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Great looking ride! I need to play catch up.....

That seat angle would kill my back though.

Odd Man Out
03-16-2009, 10:29 PM

Gotta agree with Greenhorn. It looks like you are squished into that riding position. I would bet you would be much more comfortable it you reclined the seat 10 to 20 degrees more...

John Lewis
03-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks :) But notice that I haven't included a closeup of the powerside of the bike. With the chain hanging like, in Brad's words, a pregnant fish, I have tons of paint chipping on the right hand tube, downtubes and stays.

I used a chain tube on the return side of my TE clone. Its about 18" long and mounts to the lower tube with some cable tie and beverage tube extensions.

It doesn't cause any problems and keeps the chain tidy.

By the way thats a nice example of a TE clone you have built there. I really like them. I've built four now.

Here's mine. You can just see the chain tube in the picture.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/TE-Clone.jpg

John Lewis

John Lewis
03-16-2009, 10:53 PM
The brake posts can be had from suppliers cheaply. I buy mine from Greenspeed about $1 AUD each. A simple jig helps a lot when setting them up and welding. I use a Tee of thin steel with holes bored for the posts to screw to. Bend the long leg suitably and clamp. The natural spring holds the posts in position while you weld.

John Lewis

Greenhorn
03-16-2009, 11:06 PM
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture035.jpg

Hah---the tree branch in that first picture looks like you have a plume coming off yoru helmet.:jester:

GregLWB
03-17-2009, 01:24 AM
Greenhorn

Odd Man Out
Gotta agree with Greenhorn. It looks like you are squished into that riding position. I would bet you would be much more comfortable it you reclined the seat 10 to 20 degrees more...

Guys, look at the other pictures. In the first one I am leaning forward several inches telling my son where to point the camera:). It might work to lean more but the seat angle I used is identical to my LWB bike and I have close to 2K miles on it (1500 with the motor) and it works well for my back and neck. I've tried riding some 'bents that were more laid back and just didn't feel secure. I will ride it for a while and might change it later.

It was fun building it and I still have much to do but I couldn't stand having it so close and not going for a ride!:jester:

Greg

Greenhorn
03-17-2009, 02:09 AM
to each his own on the seat angle. We all come in different shapes and sizes. Your bike still looks sweet

taloch
03-17-2009, 03:06 AM
It was fun building it and I still have much to do but I couldn't stand having it so close and not going for a ride!:jester:

Greg

I know exactly what you mean! It was ages before I could even think about pulling mine apart to paint. I was riding it around and it was getting rustier. Eventually it came to the point where I had to!

Well done, it's a great looking bike and you should be proud.

:)

comreich
03-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Dude that's a great looking bike. Nice work. As for the closed riding position, if it's comfortable for you, great. I've said it before, but if you look at pictures of the Lightning P-38, the seating position is closed too, and the Lightning is considered one of the best climbers among recumbents. So I would consider your bike to be in good company.

GregLWB
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

comreich - I hope it is a good climber, because there are a lot of hills around here.:sweatdrop:

taloch - I probably won't ride it much before taking it apart for paint. I hate sanding and especially if it was preventable.:thinking:

Greenhorn - You're right on the seat angles. I played alot of competetive basketball and I used to high jump and I'm getting older and don't feel balanced in a more laid back position (sorry, I think I heard the violins and some music in a minor chord start playing).:jester:

Greg

Radical Brad
03-17-2009, 12:17 PM
It sure didn't take long to get mobile once you started. Great work.

Brad

GregLWB
03-17-2009, 04:05 PM
It sure didn't take long to get mobile once you started. Great work.

Brad

Thanks Brad.:)

Greg

choppersrule
03-17-2009, 04:15 PM
great looking ride. i think the seat should be where you feel the most comfortable. comfort is the name of the game otherwise we would ride those wedgie things :( yak. keep up the good work
mark :taz:

GregLWB
03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I rode about 20 blocks today (got the longer cable for the rear derailleur). Had to go to the doctor (thought I might as well ride there). The bike handled well and the seat wasn't too bad even though no cushion yet (will do soon though). The seat angles felt good but I am thinking about the possibility of tilting the top portion where my shoulders go back a little (we'll see Greenhorn:)).

Got stopped and asked about the bike twice on the ride and turned a lot of heads. The folks I talked to asked where I got the idea and I referred them to this site. We'll get them! One Zombie at a time!:jester:

Greg

SirJoey
03-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Great work, Greg!
Looks like a perfect fit, too! :punk:

scootdaddy
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
that is one sweet ride

Keith

Richie Rich
03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey, Greenhorn...I hope that pile of furniture in the driveway doesn't mean you were kicked out for spending too much time in the shop....!!! :eek:

....Richie....

GregLWB
03-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Hey, Greenhorn...I hope that pile of furniture in the driveway doesn't mean you were kicked out for spending too much time in the shop....!!! :eek:

....Richie....

If you meant me, nope just getting ready for a dump run. The neighbor brought some stuff to go too.:builder2:

Greg

GregLWB
03-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Ok, let's see how observant you all are!:jester: I made some changes to my HR today. I wonder if anyone can get them all. Here is how it looked after I got done.

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture050.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture051.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture052.jpg

rickairmed
03-20-2009, 07:42 PM
OK I'll play ( lights, rerouted chain, bag on bars , mirrors, some cables,looks like you may have adjusted the seat some, ) How'd I do :D:D.

Rick

GregLWB
03-20-2009, 08:48 PM
OK I'll play ( lights, rerouted chain, bag on bars , mirrors, some cables,looks like you may have adjusted the seat some, ) How'd I do :D:D.

Rick

Pretty good. I should have been more specific so here goes. This morning I went on a five mile ride (put a piece of foam on the seat base) and for part of the way rode with my older boy. He mentioned that the chain was banging on the brake posts when I was in my lower gears. It road pretty good other than that. So I decided to make some changes that I had been thinking about.

I took everything off the bike from the seat back. Then I cut a slot in the seat post just above the main boom and angled the seat back almost three inches (OddMan and Greenhorn I can hear you laughing and you were right-sort of:jester:).

I cut three inches out of the seat stays and notched them near the chain stays. I squeezed the seat stays together, welded them to each other and then welded them to the seat tube (in previous pictures you can see that I welded them to the side of the seat tube but I decided to weld them to the back of the tube so that I can get them close enough to use the brakes on them).

Next I cut off the lower brake posts and ground the chainstays smooth. I made a new mount and welded it on further forward for the dual 4" exercise machine pulleys and cut off the old mount. I then reinstalled everything and moved the brakes to their new location. I think I will forget about running dual brakes to the rear because with the setup I have now I can just about throw myself off the bike.

So after all that, like any good mechanic I went for a test ride. The bike actually handles better now and is more comfortable (the entire seat now seems to support me and the distance to the handlebars feels better). I think the biggest difference in handling came from the seat angle change. It seems to have shifted the balance of the bike more towards the rear wheel and the steering is really smooth now.:)

I think I should have plenty of gearing for the local hills as I found myself starting in about 5th gear(21 teeth) on the small front chainring(39 teeth) just riding around downtown.

All in all I think it looks more balanced than it did before. And once again I learned things from the forum that made it better.

Thanks all, Greg

TheKid
03-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I see where you could have used the hole saw. Another method is the "can opener" method Brad used for the DW USS.

http://atomiczombie.com/videos/dwmod1/dwmod1.htm

That's an awesome ride. I wish I could still ride 2 wheelers. It'll really look sweet painted and upholstered.

John Lewis
03-20-2009, 11:44 PM
That looks a bit more balanced Greg.

I noticed the rerouted chain and the more laid back seat mostly.

I think the seat needs to be reclined enough to get some of the weight off the butt and onto the greater area of the back. Its also more aero. But I find if I go to far back it becomes a bit uncomfortable holding the head up. Headrests don't go well with helmets.

Looks like you have it nailed now so it's time for paint. Don't rush it though you might find one ot two changes you want to make.

Great bike.

John Lewis

GregLWB
03-20-2009, 11:56 PM
That looks a bit more balanced Greenhorn.

I noticed the rerouted chain and the more laid back seat mostly.

I think the seat needs to be reclined enough to get some of the weight off the butt and onto the greater area of the back. Its also more aero. But I find if I go to far back it becomes a bit uncomfortable holding the head up. Headrests don't go well with helmets.

Looks like you have it nailed now so it's time for paint. Don't rush it though you might find one ot two changes you want to make.

Great bike.

John Lewis

Thanks John,

Ya, I still would like to find a local source for the braze-ons (cable stops, etc.) so that I can make my cables look better. And my oldest boy tells me I need to put a rack on it (looking for ideas for underseat types) and I may work on that tomorrow (I have a couple of old heavy duty Schwinn ones that are still in almost new condition for the back).

I also need to figure out how to come up with a kick stand long enough (I know, I can hear all the racers groaning, but I don't like to lay my bike down or leave it leaning against stuff). Looking for Zombie ideas.:1eye:

Greg

John Lewis
03-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Sorry Greg. Managed to call you greenhorn in my post. Now edited.

John Lewis

SirJoey
03-21-2009, 09:19 AM
WOW, Greg! That is REALLY lookin' nice!

I like it better than mine! :D

GregLWB
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I got the fabric and the foam for the seat yesterday and covered the seat today. I got a 1" foam that they call rebond and they use it alot for tractor seats. The vinyl is a heavy marine grade called 'Carbon Fiber' and has a little bit of a pattern to it (helps with breathability and keeps you from sliding on the seat) and is the same Sunshine Yellow that I used on my LWB commuter.

I will post another pic later with it on the bike. I have to go to the hardware store and get some bolts to reattach the seat. I installed 'T' nuts in the seat so that I can take it on and off without wearing out the screw holes.

I'm not sure do you think they will see me?:jester:
Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture.jpg

rickairmed
03-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Only if the fabric covers the back of the seat as well otherwise you will cover most of that yellow while riding :D.

Rick

GregLWB
03-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Only if the fabric covers the back of the seat as well otherwise you will cover most of that yellow while riding :D.

Rick

Same front and back. Here's a picture of it back on the bike after another 5 mile ride this afternoon.

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture053.jpg

newrider3
03-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Looks great! Although your forks look bent.

GregLWB
03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Looks great! Although your forks look bent.

Thanks, I think it must be the angle of the picture or something. I went out to check and according to a big straight edge I have they are straight (well at least the same as they were when I put the bike together).:builder2: You had me worried but I appreciate you looking out for me. If they were bending with my size that could be a pretty bad accident. Once I build the TourMaster I will be using the front fork from my current LWB to replace this one.

Greg

Radical Brad
03-28-2009, 12:15 AM
I think it's just the angle of the legs at the stem. I have a lot of BMX forks that are that way as well. Cheaper to make than bending the actual legs I guess.

Nice machine.
What color will it be?

Brad

GregLWB
03-28-2009, 12:20 AM
I think it's just the angle of the legs at the stem. I have a lot of BMX forks that are that way as well. Cheaper to make than bending the actual legs I guess.

Nice machine.
What color will it be?

Brad

Thanks Brad.

Kind of a deep tone medium blue with a metallic flake. It will also have a gloss clearcoat over that. Only the best you can buy at ***Mart.:cheesy::cheesy:

Greg

gbbwolf
03-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Nice work on that bike there bud.

I finally got some pics of queen B and my Cruisin Canary.

LOL

Nelson

TheKid
03-28-2009, 01:06 AM
It'll look even better painted. Great job!

GregLWB
03-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Thanks guys, I'm having so much fun riding it, I don't want to take it apart to paint! Actually tommorrow I am going to make sure that there is a way to secure it on the bike rack on the back of the 'collector of worn out bikes' (my Suburban).

I may have to weld on some type of eye bolt or something under the front boom to mount it. Do any of you have any experience loading this type of bike on a rack?:confused:

Greg

John Lewis
03-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Hi Greg,

That machine came up well. Now it deserves that coat of paint.

As for a rack. I built a rack to carry two bikes or bents or both in combination.

I used two pieces of channel side by side about 15 or so inches apart and long enough for the wheelbase of the bikes. This bolts to my tow hitch. Be easier with the newer slide in style hitch.

In the centre between the two rails is a 2 piece vertical bar (ladder like)

The bikes sit with their wheels in the channel and the vertical between them. I hold the wheels to the channel with some old toe straps. The verticals are padded with foam insulation tubing and I strap the cross bar of the bikes to that. With an upright bike I also set the pedal crank behind the upright as added insurance.

Hope that makes sense. Only took a couple of hours to build. I can go do a picture if you like. It also needs a coat of paint! :jester:

John Lewis

GregLWB
03-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi Greg,

Hope that makes sense. Only took a couple of hours to build. I can go do a picture if you like. It also needs a coat of paint! :jester:

John Lewis

Thanks John. I think I understand but I am a visual/auditory learner so a picture would be helpful when it's convenient.:)

Greg

GregLWB
03-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Took the bike apart today and ground/sanded/filed the main frame. I still need to do the same to the forks and goose neck. I put the first couple coats of primer on the main frame too.:sunny:

Greg

John Lewis
03-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks John. I think I understand but I am a visual/auditory learner so a picture would be helpful when it's convenient.:)

Greg

OK Greg,

You asked for it. Here are some shots of the bike rack. Mines too heavy my friend used light channel instead of angle. He aso bentup the ends to stop any tendency for the bike to roll.

This is a shot of the complete rack

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/rack.jpg

Here is the base plate. Bolts on at the towball. THis could be improved.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/base.jpg

An upwrong and the SWB on the rack.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/2-bikes.jpg

With the LWB.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/LWB.jpg

How I usually sit it.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/lew2au/lwb2.jpg

I use toe straps to secure the bikes. Not shown here. I dont trust elastic occy straps.

Hope this helps.

John Lewis

GregLWB
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
OK Greg,

I use toe straps to secure the bikes. Not shown here. I dont trust elastic occy straps.

John Lewis

That helps a lot. Thanks.:)

The elastic straps you're talking about I'm assuming are what we call Bungee Straps? If so, I don't trust them either.

Greg

John Lewis
03-29-2009, 10:36 PM

The elastic straps you're talking about I'm assuming are what we call Bungee Straps? If so, I don't trust them either.

Greg

Yes Bungees . Occy straps ie octopus straps ( because they hang on) is Aussie slang for bungee cords.

John Lewis

GregLWB
04-04-2009, 03:30 PM
OK, I finally sanded and primed the frame.:)
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture054.jpg
And then painted it this morning.:sunny:
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture055.jpg
I painted the front fork earlier this week and will be painting the bottom bracket and stem later today. Now just the waiting for the paint to dry and harden:sleep1:

Greg

comreich
04-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Looking good, but you have some weird paranormal activity taking place in your area. Either that or the paint fumes really messed with your camera :rolleyes4:

TheKid
04-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Lookin good. It won't be long now.

scootdaddy
04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
you have some weird paranormal activity taking place in your area. :rolleyes4:

Its probably the ghost of dead bicycles!!!:jester:

Radical Brad
04-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey, you have something to hide in that there garden??? We won't tell!

....nice work on the frame!

Brad

GregLWB
04-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey, you have something to hide in that there garden??? We won't tell!

....nice work on the frame!

Brad

Hey guys, how long do I need to let the paint dry before I can start putting the bike back together. Yesterday was in the 60's and today I think it hit 70and tommorrow the same. The rest of the week is supposed to be in the 60's but will start raining again.

Actually, the foliage is the neighbors and they had hung something weird in the tree and I didn't want it in my picture.:rolleyes4:

Thanks to all for the kind words.:sunny:

Greg

GregLWB
04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Okay - I'm not very good at watching paint dry.:1eye: So I decided that the bike was dry enough to put part of it back together.

Here's a pic.
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture056.jpg
This one I tried to get a pic that made the metallic flake stand out. It's still hard to see but depending on how the light hits it, it can look medium blue, dark blue, or even almost purple. Kind of cool I think.:jester:
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture059.jpg

Greg

Greenhorn
04-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Okay - I'm not very good at watching paint dry.:1eye: So I decided that the bike was dry enough to put part of it back together.

Here's a pic.
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture056.jpg
This one I tried to get a pic that made the metallic flake stand out. It's still hard to see but depending on how the light hits it, it can look medium blue, dark blue, or even almost purple. Kind of cool I think.:jester:
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture059.jpg

Greg

What kind/color of paint did you use

Doc Hollywood
04-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Looking good Greg! How much do you think it will weigh when it's done?

GregLWB
04-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Looking good Greg! How much do you think it will weigh when it's done?

Thanks, 34 pounds complete. I weighed it before I took it apart for painting. That is 2 pounds less than my oldest son's Fuji Tahoe MB. I also built it really heavy duty with a triple wall BMX jumping wheel on the front and a 40 spoke triple wall tandem bike wheel on the back.:jester:

Greg

GregLWB
04-06-2009, 12:15 AM
What kind/color of paint did you use

GH - I used Rust-Oleum. First Auto Primer, then Metallic Blue (7251), then Crystal Clear Enamel. Got it at ***-Mart.:jester:

Greg

GregLWB
04-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Okay - It's done!:punk: Of course no bike is ever completely done.:jester: Always something to adjust or add, but basically done.
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture061.jpg

Greg

scootdaddy
04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Greg that's an awsome looking ride! :punk:

that one looks like it will be a good one

Keith

John Lewis
04-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Okay - It's done!:punk: Of course no bike is ever completely done.:jester: Always something to adjust or add, but basically done.
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture061.jpg

Greg

Looks sweet. I'm sure you'll get a lot of comments when you go ride it.

You've done a great job on it.

John Lewis

comreich
04-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Really sharp ride there Greg. That blue is a great color. Here's to many happy miles on it.

GregLWB
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks to all for the kind words. I couldn't/wouldn't have attempted to do this without the support I got from all of you.:)

I went for a short ride last night after I got it all together. As you might have seen in the picture I changed the front tire over to the high pressure Kenda Quest but the rear one won't be in for a couple days. It rode really well and it did draw alot of positive attention (nice day, alot of people about).

Had to cut the ride short though after about six blocks. My legs started cramping up. Yesterday was the first day back to commuting on my LWB (53 mile round trip) after about three months of winter. It's going to take a while to get my legs back in shape. Wouldn't have made it without the motor assist.:scooter:

I still need to install a rack and because it rains a lot here am thinking of some kind of fenders (ideas?) that don't spoil the looks.

Now on to my next build. I'm starting a TourMaster this weekend.:jester:

Greg

Radical Brad
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
A very clean and professional looking ride... congrats!

Brad

OhioZombie
04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
VERY nice build.
Great color choices (misplaced Michigan fan in Ohio).
I am wanting to build a 2620 High (Mid?) Roller also this year. Keep going over the plans and the builds of those already going on. Have one question for you...I see you did not use the rear brake mounts (on the fork/chain stays), I assume it was an issue of added length after the the wheel flanges were welded to the original fork wheel flanges...if that is true, do you think a 24" fork plus the rear type flanges welded to it would line up for a 26" rim? I would like to use rear brakes that use the brake posts from the fork (chain stay) I would use.
Again, awesome build....curious to get future ride reports.

GregLWB
04-08-2009, 11:48 PM
VERY nice build.
Great color choices (misplaced Michigan fan in Ohio).
I am wanting to build a 2620 High (Mid?) Roller also this year. Keep going over the plans and the builds of those already going on. Have one question for you...I see you did not use the rear brake mounts (on the fork/chain stays), I assume it was an issue of added length after the the wheel flanges were welded to the original fork wheel flanges...if that is true, do you think a 24" fork plus the rear type flanges welded to it would line up for a 26" rim? I would like to use rear brakes that use the brake posts from the fork (chain stay) I would use.
Again, awesome build....curious to get future ride reports.

I had a long day and am kind of tired so I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are asking, but I will try to answer.

I did use rear brake mounts but they are higher (on the seat stays). I cut the ones off of the fork (chain stay) because when I first rode the bike the chain was slapping against them in certain gear combinations.

I don't know if on the 20" front wheel adaptation if you can get the chain angle such that it won't rub on the brake bosses unless you use more pulleys. The idea with a 24" fork might work, I'm not sure.

The reason that my mounts (seat stays) didn't line up right initially is because I didn't combine the tubes at the right spot. If you test fit your wheel in place so that you can line up the brake bosses before you weld the stays it should be right the first time.

I did add a rack on the back so that I could use my panniers and I have ridden it the last two nights. About two miles last night with SWMBO, and tonight I rode about five miles.:) I really like how this bike handles, smooth, fast, and stable.:D I put matching mounts for my Superflash Headlight and Taillight so that I can swap them easily back and forth between both of my bikes.

Greg

OhioZombie
04-11-2009, 12:09 AM
"I cut the ones off of the fork (chain stay) because when I first rode the bike the chain was slapping against them in certain gear combinations."
This is where I would like to have my rear brakes, down low on the fork pieces (as not to get in the way of rack/bags).
I thought maybe you cut them off due to not lining up with the 26" rear rim after it was welded up. Hence my thought of using fork blades off a 24 " bike on the rear. So once the added rear wheel flanges were welded on, the new chainstay length would line up more closely with a 26 " rim. I now understand it was a chain slapping issue. Thanks for the reply. Good luck on your TM build, looks like you are off to a great start.

GregLWB
04-11-2009, 12:54 AM
"I cut the ones off of the fork (chain stay) because when I first rode the bike the chain was slapping against them in certain gear combinations."
This is where I would like to have my rear brakes, down low on the fork pieces (as not to get in the way of rack/bags).
I thought maybe you cut them off due to not lining up with the 26" rear rim after it was welded up. Hence my thought of using fork blades off a 24 " bike on the rear. So once the added rear wheel flanges were welded on, the new chainstay length would line up more closely with a 26 " rim. I now understand it was a chain slapping issue. Thanks for the reply. Good luck on your TM build, looks like you are off to a great start.

You're right the lower ones lined up okay. It was the uppers that I had to move. I installed a rack on the back and it works just fine with the brakes on the seat stays though.:jester:

Greg

GregLWB
04-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Here are the pictures of the bike completed and having more than 50 miles on it. This was a fun build and just the beginning of this cool new hobby.:jester:

Greg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture067.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/gdfran0/HighRollerBike/Picture065.jpg

greenevegiebeast
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
greg isnt the water bottle a bit opf a reach???

Odd Man Out
04-14-2009, 11:05 PM

"opf a reach???" ???????

GregLWB
04-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Nope, I just unscrew the top before the ride and every time I hit a bump I get a drink! LMBO!:jester::jester:

I tried to put it on the handlebar stem but it hit my knees so I thought I would try there. Also I usually stop to get a drink when riding any of my bikes so it's easy to grab when I do a foot down stop.

Or maybe ..... I'm Plastic Man!:batman::jester:

Greg

greenevegiebeast
04-14-2009, 11:10 PM
me im more like the Michillin man :jester::jester: