Any preference? Best bang for Buck?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eYVRYRngL._SS500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SNTqcckdL._SS400_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31JHA6CGH6L._SL500_AA250_.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/91200-91299/91214.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/46000-46099/46092.gif

rickairmed
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Yep for the money you are looking at spending here is my preferance much better than any that you showed.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_44148_-1______14151%7C14220%7C14236%7C44148?listingPage=t rue&Special=false

Rick

Greenhorn
02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I looked at that one and I had 2 concerns:

1. fixed shade not variable

2. reaction time of 1/3600 sec rather than 1/10000 or 1/20000 on the others

Yep for the money you are looking at spending here is my preferance much better than any that you showed.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_44148_-1______14151%7C14220%7C14236%7C44148?listingPage=t rue&Special=false

Rick

rickairmed
02-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I looked at that one and I had 2 concerns:

1. fixed shade not variable

2. reaction time of 1/3600 sec rather than 1/10000 or 1/20000 on the others

Greenhorn I have owned pretty much every hood Harbor freight sells and can tell you the differance between them and the Hobart is night and day it is 10 times the hood the harbor freight hoods are and working with a MIG a fixed shade of 10 is plenty . I actually have that hobart hood hanging on my wall and the only reason I dont use it as much as I used to was due to geting a screaming deal on a Miller Elite Big Window from a buddy on SFT. I assure you you will be able to actually see what you are doing with the Hobart hood the Harbor Freight hoods are debateable . I will say it is your money but for my money I will never own another HF hood I would rather use the non autodark with the gold lense which is hanging next to the hobart in my shop :D.

Rick

rickairmed
02-10-2009, 10:51 PM
I havent steered ya wrong yet have I :D.

Rick

Greenhorn
02-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I havent steered ya wrong yet have I :D.

Rick

nope. :helmet:

rickairmed
02-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I wouldnt tell you the hobart was 10 times the hood if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes . I got rid of every HF hood I had after that and as I said I still have the non auto dark fixed shade 10 hood with the gold lense which is what I teach with as anybody that wants me to teach them how to weld must learn the way I did " in the dark " :D:D.

Rick

Greenhorn
02-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Well....helmet ordered. I have now passed the point of no return moneywise. I'm in so deep, I have to go forward. At least SWMBO should be happy that I bought the "good" welding equipment, so there is less of a chance of me permanently damaging myself.

Should be able to start burning stuff in a week or so.

I wouldnt tell you the hobart was 10 times the hood if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes . I got rid of every HF hood I had after that and as I said I still have the non auto dark fixed shade 10 hood with the gold lense which is what I teach with as anybody that wants me to teach them how to weld must learn the way I did " in the dark " :D:D.

Rick

rickairmed
02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Greenhorn thats good to hear did you get your welder already ?. I would say if you did it should have come with a handheld face shield which means you could start practicing welding now with it and you will be ahead of the game when your hood shows up plus it will give you practice the hard way and will make it seem so much easier when your hood gets there :D.

Rick

Greenhorn
02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Greenhorn thats good to hear did you get your welder already ?. I would say if you did it should have come with a handheld face shield which means you could start practicing welding now with it and you will be ahead of the game when your hood shows up plus it will give you practice the hard way and will make it seem so much easier when your hood gets there :D.

Rick

Nope. Just came with some sample flux wire

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler125ez/

rickairmed
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Ok then I guess you have to wait for the hood to show up unles you want to practice your OCC style welding they are so cool they dont need welding hoods :D.

Rick

Greenhorn
02-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Ok then I guess you have to wait for the hood to show up unles you want to practice your OCC style welding they are so cool they dont need welding hoods :D.

Rick

I think i've watched every available welding video and tutorial on youtube and read every "how to" online. I just need to get my hands dirty now.

rickairmed
02-13-2009, 11:26 AM
LOL I would bet you are chomping at the bit ready to give that new MIG a go if you have done that much study time online it shouldnt take much practice to get up and running MIG is one of the easiest types of welding to pick up .

Rick

Greenhorn
02-16-2009, 12:20 PM
My new Hobart helmet is set to arrive today! I bought some gloves and a multi-tool chipper/brush thingy at Farm anf Barn (Farm and Fleet) this weekend.

I should have everything I need to fire up my welder and get started burning metal. :punk:

rickairmed
02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Alright its 6:30 PM in my timezone what are you doing in here your supposed to be out in the shop glueing metal together :D.

Rick

rickairmed
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Ok day 2 no updates :D did ya get the hood have you glued any metal together :D.

Rick

Greenhorn
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Ok day 2 no updates :D did ya get the hood have you glued any metal together :D.

Rick

Working in the coal mine, puttin in some overtime

macka
02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Working in the coal mine, puttin in some overtime

OT is very important to make SWMBO a happy camper.

rickairmed
02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
OT is very important to make SWMBO a happy camper.

Yes very much so especially after you just blew the honeymoon money on Tools :D:D:D. Will look forward to an update when you get the chance Greenhorn.

Rick

Greenhorn
02-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Well, if the Harbor Freight helmets are chinsey then I am glad I got the Hobart Hood, although this seems a little flimsy itself. For $70, I thught it would have more helft to it and not be so pliable. I have not had a chance to test it out yet, except by staring into lightbulbs in the house.

One thing I immediately noticed that concerns me.....towards the bottom of the face plate, on both the left and the right, I get a really bright reflection off of whatever is behind me. Is this going to be a problem when welding? Won't the arc reflect off of whats behind me and show up as a reflection in the front of the mask? That can't be good. What can I do to prevent this?

Also, what do people use as neck protection? the front of the hood does not cover the front of my neck.... It just goes doen a little past my chin. I am worried about sparks flying up under the front of the hood.

Sorry, if I am being paranoid. I just want to have all my bases covered when I fire up the machine this weekend.

rickairmed
02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Greenhorn most decent hoods are lightweight and somewhat pliable this is to keep from wearing you out while welding with it on your head for hours on end :D. I wouldnt worry so much about the reflections until you have actually tried it out I have never ben flashed with my hobart and all of my garage walls and ceiling are semi gloos white . I also have never had welding spatter fly up at me although my forearms get pretty pockmarked if I am welding regularly with fluxcore I dont think I have ever had it come up at my hood . You may also want to adjust the headgear so the hood sits a little futher down on your head . I like mine setup so that the top of the lens is just at the top of my eyes maybe a picture of you with the hood on would help with this :D.

Rick

trikeman
02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Well, if the Harbor Freight helmets are chinsey then I am glad I got the Hobart Hood, although this seems a little flimsy itself. For $70, I thught it would have more helft to it and not be so pliable. I have not had a chance to test it out yet, except by staring into lightbulbs in the house.

One thing I immediately noticed that concerns me.....towards the bottom of the face plate, on both the left and the right, I get a really bright reflection off of whatever is behind me. Is this going to be a problem when welding? Won't the arc reflect off of whats behind me and show up as a reflection in the front of the mask? That can't be good. What can I do to prevent this?

Also, what do people use as neck protection? the front of the hood does not cover the front of my neck.... It just goes doen a little past my chin. I am worried about sparks flying up under the front of the hood.

Sorry, if I am being paranoid. I just want to have all my bases covered when I fire up the machine this weekend.

I love my Hobart Welder, but I also like my Northern Tool $49 helmet.

http://reviews.northerntool.com/0394/1649902/reviews.htm

Take all this with a grain of salt, since I have never welded with any other helmet. I personally didn't see much difference in the cheap hoods, although the Hobart name always give me piece of mind, which is why as a new scared-to-death welder I bought a Hobart MIG instead of the Harbor Freight model. The head pieces are generally more comfortable on the more expensive helmets. Having now burned a bunch of wire and sticks, I would not be as reluctant to try a Harbor Freight model.

As long as the protection for your eyes is there (and all the ANSI/CE rated ones have that) the only thing that will keep you from seeing as well with one brand of cheap helmet vs another is a distortion in the glass. When I bought mine I made a point of putting them on and looking at the flourescent lights in the store to see if one had less distortion or saw better than the other. I could not tell the difference, so I went with the cheaper one. Both the cheap model name brand and the Northern Tool one seemed equally flimsy. I have been welding over a year now with my NT $49 model and it still works fine, when I remember to clean the dirt off the lens. My dog drug it around the yard one day and chewed up the plastic head piece but didn't do enough damage to keep me from using it. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

None of that is to say that a higher priced hood is not better, its just that the bottom end models all seem about the same to me. If I ever cough up the dough for a really nice helmet, I may change my opinion, and I was drooling over the ones with the bigger glass yesterday at TSC.

As far as light coming in over your head, it will keep you from seeing the puddle well. I got a tip from the Hobart forum to rig up a way to put a cloth across the back with velcro to keep the light out. Since I have never been flashed in the year I have been welding, it was more to get a better look at the puddle than worrying about hurting my eyes, although that does happen in shops where welders are welding fairly close together all day.

I once got a painful sunburn on my neck cutting some steel (180+ amps) with my stick welder and an open collared shirt. Now, I generally wear a collared shirt and jacket (yes even in the summer) with the top buttoned or at least cover my neck if I am going to use high amps. Fortunately, I felt my neck getting warm, like it was out in the bright sun and realized what was happening. The hood should protect you from the top of your buttoned collar up. Always keep things buttoned up and don't wear clothes with pockets or cuffs that can catch hot sparks. Don't tuck your jeans into your boots.

As a new welder you probably are a bit paranoid, but its better to be that way until you get some sparks under your belt (no pun intended). As you get more experience, you will have a better feel for what will hurt you and what won't.

Be safe.