View Full Version : DR Needs Repair

02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I've been having trouble with shifting. I can't get into 1st gear. Adjusting the derailler didn't work, it was as far as it could go. Puzzled as to why, I took a closer look. The left wheel was tilted inward, and it seemed like the rear crossmember was twisted. Upon further inspection, I saw the problem. The crossmember was separated from the main boom. I have a piece of aluminum suspended over the main boom to the center of the crossmember. It's to provide a space between the brake rotor and the tool box. If not for that, the rear would surely have fallen off. So, similar to the DW, I'll add two struts between the arms that hold the outer bearings and the boom. On top of that, just like the Meridian, the main boom is bowed from my weight. Again, similar to the DW, I'll add a brace after straightening the boom. I guess I'm too heavy for 16 ga tubing. Now that everything is clamped, I can proceed with the welding. I hope it stays warm enough to paint when I'm done.

02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Kid good luck with the repairs sounds like a few gussets may be called for to keep things square.


02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Everything is square now, after clamping, it all lined up. I made the mistake of not installing struts, forgetting that I was planning on carrying some fairly heavy loads. In this case, the gussets I installed originally aren't enough.
I built the frame as a single K Cruiser, before Brad had the plans for the DR. I was planning to use 20" wheels when I got back to it. But then Brad showed the pics with the 26" wheels, which raises the seat 3", which suits my disabilities better.