PDA

View Full Version : SWMBO puts damper on welding plans

Greenhorn
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
She who must be obeyed has put a damper on my building plans given our upcoming wedding and has limited my short term expenditures.

I originally wanted this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100031840

but with the cost of gloves, helmet, etc.... it is over my allowable price range.

After seeing Thomas' thread, I though about this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98871

or this:
http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=465036&h=050604001

She thinks I should just learn stick welding and get this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8727990

What to do :(
:(

trikeman
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
While that CH welder will work, you would be better served to get a used 230V buzz box, such as a Lincoln 225 or Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC stick welder. You can usually get them on Craigslist for about $100 if you are patient and you want a stick.

Then again, you could always say you thought she was saying "welder" but she was really saying "wedding" LOL.

Greenhorn
01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Riiight....

I think I can get her to agree to this combo $250.00 for a flux welder and autodarkening helmet from amazon

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C38NNXS8L._SL500_AA280

Campbell Hausfeld WF205000AV 70 Amp Flux Core Auto Strike Welder
Technical Details
The dual heat setting allows for easy adjustment of output power for projects with different metal thickness.
The independent drive deck transformer provides consistent wire speed for smoother welds.
The infinite wire speed control allows adjustment for smooth, even weld beads.
Welder offers automatic shut-off feature to avoid overheating.
The professional torch is equipped with trigger activated arc for easy start.

The WF205000AV wire feed welder is designed for easy-to-use welding. This welder has 115V 20 Amp input, 70 Amp DC output. It welds from 18 gauge to 3/16" steel and uses wire sizes from .030" and .035" on 4" or 8" spools. Its high efficiency transformer delivers smooth, stable arc and the thermal overload protects from overheating. This welder offers infinite wire speed adjustment for a smooth, even weld bead. Its dual heat setting allows for easy adjustment of output power for projects with different metal thicknesses. Unit includes starter spool of flux core wire, welding shield, hammer/brush and quick start guide.

Product Description
Includes Flux Welder - WF2050, (1) Welding Shield, (1) Hammer/Brush, (1) Flux Core Wire, Quick Start Guide

Sorry for the long post .... My steels A'coming this week and I want to get burning crap together!

macka
01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
GH don't cross SWMBO, or you will be frowning for a long time. However, if you check out kijiji dot com in your area you may find some better deals

rickairmed
01-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Greenhorn do you have a tractor supply anywhere near you . I would say go for the Cambell hausfield stick welder from Wally world ( Brad uses an AC stick welder for all of his builds) and get a decent Hobart auto dark helmet from Tractor supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_44148_-1______14151%7C14220%7C14236%7C44148?listingPage=t rue&Special=false

This would get you started for less than $200.00 stick welding really isnt that hard I actually learned how to weld with a stick welder . After you are married and have a few extra bucks to spend you can always upgrade to a mig welder in the future . This should keep SWMBO happy and allow you to at least get your feet wet and start glueing metal togeher as was stated earlier watch craigslist after the nuptuals when you have a little extra change laying around and you might come up with a decent MIG cheap tha way .

Rick

greenevegiebeast
01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
If you regester with HF they will regulary send you cupins(yes that was misspelled on porpus:jester:0

they regulary mark the flux core welder down to 100$ or less.

As for the helm, I got mine from Hf for 39$ with a cupin.

Heck swmbo, wont even let me go into Hf without adult supervision

rickairmed
01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Ihave a cupin right here to get the HF fluxcore welder for $89.00 bux it expirse 2/2/09 if you want it Greenhorn shoot me a PM with your Addy and I will drop it at the Post office for you.

Rick

Greenhorn
01-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Wow. I am on a fair number of boards/forums and you guys are by far the nicest and most helpful group of strangers I have never met.

Much...Much. Thanks.:sunny:

You guys rule!

Richie Rich
01-20-2009, 11:29 PM
She who must be obeyed has put a damper on my building plans given our upcoming wedding and has limited my short term expenditures......

She thinks I should just learn stick welding and get this......What to do :(
:(UH OH......That doesn't sound too good, Greenhorn.

There are many men reading this right now who are feeling a sudden tightening in the genital area. We could all give you some sound advice....none of which you'll heed, and less of which SHE will allow.

Have you ever seen the TV show "Bridezillas"..?? It should be mandatory viewing by all single males.

Best of luck, GH....

...Richie.....married for 43 years with the scars to prove it.

rickairmed
01-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Richie not to worry I am sending Greenhorn enough Harbor freight coupons to get him in trouble but not to much trouble . He should be able to get most of the basics with these for under $200.00 including Hood,welder,gloves ( the nice goatskin ones ) angle grinder a few C clamps and some good old welding magnets and a set of files :D. He is on his own for a drill at te moment .

Rick

greenevegiebeast
01-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow. I am on a fair number of boards/forums and you guys are by far the nicest and most helpful group of strangers I have never met.

Much...Much. Thanks.:sunny:

You guys rule!

Are You calling me strange......................

Im not strange.

Im crazy, there is a difrence.

Just ask the voices in my head, two out of three will agree. and the other one we ignore any way.(hese the one that telles me to behave and act my age)

Greenhorn
01-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Hey, at least she let me dissassemble my donor bike tonight instead of doing "save the date" cards.

She's not all bad. Plus she justr cooked me a big spagetti diner and is sitting next to me.....so I have to be nice;

UH OH......That doesn't sound too good, Greenhorn.

There are many men reading this right now who are feeling a sudden tightening in the genital area. We could all give you some sound advice....none of which you'll heed, and less of which SHE will allow.

Have you ever seen the TV show "Bridezillas"..?? It should be mandatory viewing by all single males.

Best of luck, GH....

...Richie.....married for 43 years with the scars to prove it.

rickairmed
01-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Tim smile and tell her you will be easier to find in the garage than down the street at the Pub :D.

Rick

rickairmed
01-20-2009, 11:55 PM
We have a set rule in this house if I get a new toy she gets a new toy and THE GARAGE IS MINE you can have the rest of the house :D.

Rick

greenevegiebeast
01-20-2009, 11:56 PM
aha Now I know why, you are a newly wed arnt you!!!

give her a few years, she will come around

Happly maried for 15 years( she hasnt killed me yet, stress the yet.):jester:

rickairmed
01-21-2009, 12:02 AM
GVB how did you pick out that Greenhorn was a newlywed the fact SWMBO is sitting next to him still and not several rooms away :D My better half of 14 years is in her office on the other side of the house at the moment as I type comfortably from MY GARAGE :D.

Rick

TheKid
01-21-2009, 12:04 AM
:jester: And people have to ask me why I never got married. Next time someone asks, I'll tell them to log on here.

greenevegiebeast
01-21-2009, 12:23 AM
GVB how did you pick out that Greenhorn was a newlywed the fact SWMBO is sitting next to him still and not several rooms away :D My better half of 14 years is in her office on the other side of the house at the moment as I type comfortably from MY GARAGE :D.

Rick

Mine is right next to me rolling over and going asleep< only replying enough to steel the remote.

no the fact that he actulay folows his wifes instructions. unlike most marryed men who lust do things and face the repercutions later.(becase we all know that the arguments stink, but the making up thats fun.):*****:

Greenhorn
01-21-2009, 12:24 AM
No. I am a soon to be wed person.

If I was a shrink, I would say my subconscious is avoiding dealing with the idea of getting married by taking on this bike project. :)

aha Now I know why, you are a newly wed arnt you!!!

give her a few years, she will come around

Happly maried for 15 years( she hasnt killed me yet, stress the yet.):jester:

rickairmed
01-21-2009, 12:26 AM
GVB should we teach Greenhorn the ancient Man rule that it is easier to ask forgivenes than to ask permission :D:D:D.Ok Ok Mrs. Greenhorn really were not that bad were just messin with your other half ;).

Rick

Rick

greenevegiebeast
01-21-2009, 12:29 AM
place large pot on stove fill with liquid, insert spoon, and stur.:*****:

Its the asking and getting that are always the most fun, Rick isnt that how you got your crum munchers???

Must have been one nasty fight, :wings:

MoeMac
01-21-2009, 07:26 AM

If I was a shrink, I would say my subconscious is avoiding dealing with the idea of getting married by taking on this bike project. :)

Thanks Guys! You've just reminded me what Married Life used to be...

RUN FOREST RUN!!! :1eye:

Ah.... to the Dungeon I go!! HiHo...HiHo... there goes MOE!

SirJoey
01-21-2009, 07:41 AM
:jester: And people have to ask me why I never got married. Next time someone asks, I'll tell them to log on here.KUDOS to YOU, Kid! You got THAT right! :D

In MY house, there's NEVER been, nor will there EVER be a "SWMBO", only a "HWMBO", & that's me!
Personally, I answer to NOONE but the "man upstairs".

Call me a chauvinist, cave-man, or whatever, but I've always figured, as long as the man is the bread winner,
he's the boss. Supposed to be that way, anyway, IMO.

Yeah, I'm alone & lonely. Been that way for nearly 7 years now, but it's by choice.
I'd rather be alone than to be subserviant to a woman, or to put up with her you-know-what. :punk:

To me, it just ain't worth it... :rolleyes4:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

macka
01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Just remember once you have kids everything changes....she'll be too busy being a mom for the first bit, then you'll be too busy :rolleyes4: Oh and it is easier to ask for forgiveness.

greenevegiebeast
01-21-2009, 11:32 AM

greenhorn, dont let theis old codgers scare you marage is good. I do love my wife dearly, and she loves me.

no mater what it is the love that counts. to many people get married for the wrong reason. It is not a "bussnes agreement". It isnt all just sex eather. it is a life long partnership. Oe of the best tings that can hapen to you if its the right person.

though there will be triles, usaly the partner helps give you more stegnth than you think you have to get through.

ok enough preaching, you will have to post pics of your weding.If for no other resion than to let Joey see what he is missing.:punk:

Locutus
01-21-2009, 11:51 AM
KUDOS to YOU, Kid! You got THAT right! :D

I'd rather be alone than to be subserviant to a woman, or to put up with her you-know-what. :punk:

To me, it just ain't worth it... :rolleyes4:

There's a proverb in the ***** that goes something like this: "Better to live alone in a shack than in a palace with a surly woman."

MoeMac
01-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Oe of the best tings that can hapen to you if its the right person.

ok enough preaching, you will have to post pics of your weding.If for no other resion than to let Joey see what he is missing.:punk:

YEP! That's the Keyword! "THE RIGHT PERSON"..... They are supposed to compliment you and encourage you in your passion because it is in that area that you will grow towards being a better person...

Also to you guys... It is suppose to work both ways!

Not one way is my highway!

Let's face it Men... we want a playmate! (not talking about sex)... Cannot talk for women (not going there!) Men loves to play so when we find jobs that is more playing than work we excell!!

I still Love Women!! but not one that tells me what I can or cannot do! can or cannot buy.... :wings:

jimFPU
01-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Proverbs 27:15-16 (NKJV)
A continual dripping on a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike;
Whoever restrains her restrains the wind, and grasps oil with his right hand.

Or:

Proverbs 25:24 (The Message)

Better to live alone in a tumbledown shack than share a mansion with a nagging spouse.

Happily going on 14 years here!:sunny:
Proverbs 31:10-11 (English Standard Version)

An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.
The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.

Radical Brad
01-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Kat and I built this entire website and everything you see on it together. 100% teamwork. Sometimes I even borrow her tools!

Brad

trikeman
01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Living with anyone can be a PITA sometimes, and you obviously have to compromise on some things to get along (no welding in the kitchen etc). That said, I have been married 31 years to the same woman and would do it again in a heartbeat.

rickairmed
01-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I would have to agree with all said above marriage is teamwork I have been with the current SWMBO 14 years twice the length of my first mariage there are times when we both agree to disagree but for the most part we are both quite happy . I will point out that you do need time apart thus why I have my garage and she has her office it gives us each a place to go hide when we want to do our own thing :D.

Rick

macka
01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
you can choose to be right, or be happy, its a choice both partners have to make.

Greenhorn
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM
I can't blame SWMBO for limiting expenditures seeing as we are footing the bill for the wedding and planning on getting a house in the next year.

Compared to other women I know/dated, SWMBO is quite remarkable (hence why I am marrying her) in that she for the most part lets me do what I want. She rarely ever complains when I go on bikerides and even drives me to/from the 6-hr weekend century events I do.

In exhange, I must fix things and put up with her mother when she visists. :confused:
Overall, not a bad deal.

She likes the bike idea--but just doesn't want me spending the honeymoon money or burning down her condo.

rickairmed
01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Greenhorn the ( cupins ) are in the mail hopefully you will have them in a couple of days and can have a field day at Harbor Freight :D.

Rick

KoolKat
01-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Yep, and now I hide them in a secret place. Putting my name on my tape measure didn't prevent it from being permanently relocated to the garage. Hmmm...I doubt it walked there all by itself. :confused:

Kat and I built this entire website and everything you see on it together. 100% teamwork. Sometimes I even borrow her tools!

Brad

rickairmed
01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
LOL Kat and yet he still hasnt let you pay with the welder . I understand the tape measuer thing I bet theres 20 of them here between the shop her office and my service truck and ya still cant find one when ya need it :D . Hers also has her name on it LOL. She also has her own workbench in the garage which I do let her play in from time to time but mostly her workbench is just for tool storage of her tools :d.

Rick

trikeman
01-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Yep, and now I hide them in a secret place. Putting my name on my tape measure didn't prevent it from being permanently relocated to the garage. Hmmm...I doubt it walked there all by itself. :confused:

LOL. My wife has her name on a couple of hammers and some screwdrivers, but it doesn't keep them from migrating to the garage either.

Greenhorn
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I keep all my bicycle allen wrenches ina box called "bike tools" and that doesn't stop SWMBO from stealing them and rounding them off trying to use them on non-metric bolts.

LOL. My wife has her name on a couple of hammers and some screwdrivers, but it doesn't keep them from migrating to the garage either.

Greenhorn
01-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Greenhorn the ( cupins ) are in the mail hopefully you will have them in a couple of days and can have a field day at Harbor Freight :D.

Rick

Sweet! UPS says my cold hard steel just arrived today. Can't wait to get home and starting taking over the garage :punk:

rickairmed
01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
LOL hope you have a big garage so SWMBO doesnt get upset about her car sitting outside in the snow :D. Look at cheap tarps while at harbor freight so you dont mess up her car while grinding and such in the garage :D.

Rick

Richie Rich
01-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Greenhorn...here's a tip for cohabitational harmony....

The residue from grinding & welding steel quickly turns to rust stains on the garage floor when wet. To keep the wailing to a minimum, be sure to clean up thoroughly after grinding & welding in the garage.

.....Richie.....one who knows....

rickairmed
01-22-2009, 01:09 AM
LOL hope you have a big ***age so SWMBO doesnt get upset about her car sitting outside in the snow :D. Look at cheap tarps while at harbor freight so you dont mess up her car while grinding and such in the ***age :D.

Rick

Ok why does the dirty word filter not like the standard word for a place to park your motor vehicle into LOL. I would think around here g a r a g e would be standard language .

greenevegiebeast
01-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Ok why does the dirty word filter not like the standard word for a place to park your motor vehicle into LOL. I would think around here g a r a g e would be standard language .

that is easy they have seen some of our car houses.:jester:

rickairmed
01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Greenhorn I have another ( cupin )( somebody here has seen to many Ron White specials on the comedy channel ) I will put a link here its for 20% off total purchase . I dont think it will work with the coupons I sent you to take more money off those items but it will work on the welding gloves and anything else you find that you think you might need :D.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/emails/409/RetailU/409_retailU.html

Rick

moejosteve
01-24-2009, 12:29 AM
that is easy they have seen some of our car houses.:jester:

Speaking of car houses, I think I saw you cousin GVB on mine this summer. I have a pic I shot out the window while he was sitting still...

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/racer-19/?action=view&current=green-03.jpg&t=1232771090003

Greenhorn
01-27-2009, 12:21 AM
SWMBO is going to kill me. I just purchased a hobart EZ 125 from Tractor supply--reduced to $269--$290 w/ shipping & tax.

I just found out I have to go on an unexpected business trip this week. The mileage reimbursement will work out to $270---so I figured I might as well buy a good welder!

I'll let you know when she cuts off my balls!

rickairmed
01-27-2009, 12:25 AM
LOL Greenhorn she is gonna kick your butt but I think it will be worth it in the end that is a much better welder than the one I sent you the coupon for :D. I am worried about you going blind though since you blew your budget on the welder now you will have to weld without a hood . I recomend watching as many back episodes of OCC as you can to see how Paulie and crew do it without a hood :D.

Rick

tomas
01-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Excellent! (the welder, not loss of balls..)
It looks like a good welder, similar to what I have, even better!
Max output of 125amps means you should be able to weld some thick stuff.

You're on your way..

t.

SWMBO is going to kill me. I just purchased a hobart EZ 125 from Tractor supply--reduced to $269--$290 w/ shipping & tax.

I just found out I have to go on an unexpected business trip this week. The mileage reimbursement will work out to $270---so I figured I might as well buy a good welder!

I'll let you know when she cuts off my balls!

greenevegiebeast
01-27-2009, 12:49 AM
new be, pick up some roses while you are out. they cn serve double duty.

a please dont kill me make up present, and worst case scenero, the will look realy nice on your grave.:jester:

Greenhorn
01-27-2009, 01:04 AM
LOL Greenhorn she is gonna kick your butt but I think it will be worth it in the end that is a much better welder than the one I sent you the coupon for :D. I am worried about you going blind though since you blew your budget on the welder now you will have to weld without a hood . I recomend watching as many back episodes of OCC as you can to see how Paulie and crew do it without a hood :D.

Rick

Well--it just delays the begining of the project. Hood is net month

rickairmed
01-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Well as long as you are putting off the welding hood to next month you might as well go ahead and get the Hobart from TSC it runs around $70.00 bucks and is a really nice hood . I might add for practice the welder you got should have come with a hand held shield which would at least get you some practice time in the meantime :D.This is also a good cheap alternative till you can afford an autodark hood really not that hard you just flip it down before you start welding usually just a flick of the neck if you have it adjusted right .

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_44192_-1______14151%7C14220%7C14236%7C44192?listingPage=t rue&Special=false

Rick

rickairmed
01-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I currently have 3 hoods in the shop the $70.00 Hobart I have linked to here it is an autodark Then theres the Miller elite and last I actually still have a fixed shade standard hood . I was up to 5 hoods here including 2 autodarks from HF but I gave one of the HF hoods away with the HF welder I sold to a neighbor and sold the other one to a buddy who wanted an autodark for occasional use . I actually made my 15YO son use the fixed shade hood to learn how to weld before I let him play with an autodark. I welded for many many years with a fixed shade hood :D.

Rick

sksound5
02-02-2009, 03:01 AM
I got around SWMBO by welding with daughters. We're all just starting with a clark mig practicing on scrap and collecting donor bikes till spring. Great threads by the way, learing more here then in shop class 30 years ago. I found that running the mig off the portable generator works well if I remember to keep wires from exhaust. I can practice outside and helps keep gas in generator fresh

sksound5
02-02-2009, 03:04 AM
Also I got an an auto dark mask on ebay for 30 bucks that seems to work well. Does anyone have any bad experiences from these?

tomas
02-02-2009, 07:22 AM
sk,

What is the shade level of is the helmet. For example is it a "fixed shade 10" ?

I started with a basic auto-darkening fixed shade 10, I found the 10 shade too lite for me personally. I got some welders flash in the eyes. I use a 90amp flux core welder.

I upgraded to a variable shade 8-to-13 auto-darkening, a miller pro model. The helmet cost me $200, by far the most expensive item I've bought to date.

I find myself using the shade 12 setting.

Also I may have gotten welders flash from taking off the helmet and looking at the glowing weld too soon. So, when you take your finger off the trigger wait a while (30 seconds?) before ripping off the helmet to take in your handiwork!

I'm enjoying the welding and plan to do lots of projects. I just didn't want to worry about eye protection.

t.

Also I got an an auto dark mask on ebay for 30 bucks that seems to work well. Does anyone have any bad experiences from these?

rickairmed
02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Tomas honestly your welders flash most likely came from something behind you reflecting the light from the weld into your hood . I doubt you got flashed by looking at recently completed welds . Remember to keep potatoes onhand to slice up to put on your eyes if your going to be welding if you do get flashed they will make your life much more comfortable :D. I have been flashed maybe twice in 20 years of welding so it isnt really common but when it happens you will want quick relief :D.

Rick

sksound5
02-02-2009, 01:42 PM
has shades 9-13, solar powered with lithium battery, says ansi z87 certified. Its the model with american eagle stickers on sides and a F14 fighter on top soooo its chinese in make

sksound5
02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
helmet was purchased from e-toolstar on ebay, listed under welding helmut auto dark

tomas
02-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Having a choice of shades is excellent.
Those stickers will help with weld penetration, won't they?

t.

has shades 9-13, solar powered with lithium battery, says ansi z87 certified. Its the model with american eagle stickers on sides and a F14 fighter on top soooo its chinese in make

Greenhorn
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM
This morning SWMBO asked for an accounting of my bike building adventure to date. I told her I would be happy to do so if she gave me an accounting on what she has spent at starbucks and "save the date" cards the last 3 months........that did not go over so well.:jester:

trikeman
03-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Ouch! The proper reply is always "Yes Dear" - then you figure out how to give the accounting under less threatening circumstances. The added time allows for far more creativity in the presentation. Always remember that in many womens and their mother's minds (at least those of my generation) the wedding, and everything connected with it is life of death - something they have dreamed about since they were tiny girls, whereas your bikes are just toys. There is no other way to explain the enormous fortunes that are wasted (my way of thinking) on weddings each year.

You may need to apologize and throw yourself on the mercy of the court, while explaining that all your life you have wanted to let out that sensitive creative side which building things lets you do. Its just an extension of your photography side. There are far worse things a man can spend money on than welding equipment that keeps him in the garage. Be sure to explain how at every stage you have scrimped and saved by buying the cheapest tools and shopping religiously.

I am just glad that Hobart in their wisdom made all the small MIG welders from the 125EZ to the Handler 210 in the same case. As long as you don't count the steps on the voltage dial they look exactly alike [g]. Not that I would ever buy a bigger one than my 140 and discretely replace it on welding cart, while quietly selling the old one on Craigslist. There are certain advantages to having my own business debit card that have nothing to do with taxes, and I never question the numerous items that show up weekly connected with my SWMBO's hobbies. :*****:

Tis a slippery slope.

:juggle2:

moejosteve
03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Ouch! The proper reply is always "Yes Dear" - ...You may need to apologize and throw yourself on the mercy of the court, while explaining that all your life ...

Greenhorn, don't listen to these guys! They have been breathing paint fumes from unclean welds for years!! Consider this aproach:

Reply "Yes dear" - check!
Thow yourself on the mercy of the court - check!
Explain away your maleness - uncheck!

Just apologize for the retort, tell her you love her, and remind her that you are really happy she is doing all she can to help manage the household finances. THEN, grovel as required to keep the dough flowing to the projects:punk:

The man of the house can keep his "man-of-the-house" badge of honor, even with floor-stained knees.:sunny:

macka
03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
This morning SWMBO asked for an accounting of my bike building adventure to date. I told her I would be happy to do so if she gave me an accounting on what she has spent at starbucks and "save the date" cards the last 3 months........that did not go over so well.:jester:

hahahaha you're in the doghouse eh?

macka
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I am just glad that Hobart in their wisdom made all the small MIG welders from the 125EZ to the Handler 210 in the same case. As long as you don't count the steps on the voltage dial they look exactly alike [g]. Not that I would ever buy a bigger one than my 140 and discretely replace it on welding cart, while quietly selling the old one on Craigslist. There are certain advantages to having my own business debit card that have nothing to do with taxes, and I never question the numerous items that show up weekly connected with my SWMBO's hobbies. :*****:

Tis a slippery slope.

:juggle2:

Trikeman, that's ingenious (taking notes), although I am sure my SWMBO, is probably monitoring this site LOL.

trikeman
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I am only kidding about some of this, of course. The biggest feux-pas was the retort about those save-a-date cards (whatever feminine creation that is). The wiser course of action would be to apologize and then tell her you guys need to start your life together with a budget. That budget should include a bit of money set aside each month for each of you to spend however you see fit. Heck even kids usually get an allowance.

GregLWB
03-04-2009, 11:16 AM

After apologizing, try this. Get the cost of a similar bike to the one you are building and write it at the top of the sheet. Then line item deduct everything you are doing, tools, parts, etc. Bottom line you will still come out less than you would have spent. Then you can talk about the creative stuff if you want. When putting my commuter LWB together, even with paying someone to build the frame and purchasing my gas motor assist setup I still came out several hundred dollars ahead and my wife has been on board ever since.

Good Luck, Greg

Greenhorn
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I am only kidding about some of this, of course. The biggest feux-pas was the retort about those save-a-date cards (whatever feminine creation that is). The wiser course of action would be to apologize and then tell her you guys need to start your life together with a budget. That budget should include a bit of money set aside each month for each of you to spend however you see fit. Heck even kids usually get an allowance.

"Save the date cards" are pre-invitations for the wedding. They essentially say, this is the date of our wedding, an invitation will follow. Why one needs to send a fancy card advising someone that they will be getting another fancy card with the same information is beyond me!

Yes, my retort was probably not prudent in hindsight, but I generally lack a stopgap between brain and mouth. On the plus side, the more effective retort was "Well...you insisted that I buy the most expensive, highest quality, safest equipment. Did you want me to spend $80 on a cheapo welder and then burn your condo down? or purchase a cheap helmet and burn out my eyes so I couldnt see how lovely you will be in your wedding dress?" That last part was quite effective if I do say so myself. :heart:

rickairmed
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
ROFLMAO Greenhorn I think we may be rubing off on you :D.

Rick

trikeman
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Greenhorn - have we told you yet about Cubic Zirconiums?

Since even a jeweler cannot tell the difference without fancy equipment, the real thing never made much sense to me. Thank *** QVC finally convinced my SWMBO of the same fact.

macka
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Greenhorn - have we told you yet about Cubic Zirconiums?

Since even a jeweler cannot tell the difference without fancy equipment, the real thing never made much sense to me. Thank *** QVC finally convinced my SWMBO of the same fact.

my wife was OK with me spending a few hundred for the ring with a fancy piece of bling in the middle without having to worry about losing it. The same ring with a real diamond was 4 months salary at the time, not a measley 500 bucks.

wiretie
10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
I realize that this is an old thread, but I couldn't resist posting this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTg6YB2PRA

trikeman
10-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I haven't seen Greenhorn post in quite some time, either here or on BROL. I hope he hasn't fallen off that HighRoller again and hurt himself. Last I heard he was going to build a ZOX20 when the reigns got loose enough. You out there greeny?

Greenhorn
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm here.....just lurking. I've been busy coalating wedding invitations, tying ribbons, making seating arrangements,planning a honeymoon, and doing many other things I am embarassed to be doing as a man. Havn't even had time to paint the highroller yet. My normal 20 mile per day ride on my roadbike has turned into a 20 min lap around on the neighborhood on the highroller. [On the plus side, the HR seems to be holding together fairly well. No crashes. I still need to fix that slight problem with the headtube and the headset keeps coming loose every few weeks. I think I will break down and get the Rans headset adapter.]

I still have my plans for the Zox 20 stashed away in the "library" and study them frequently. I did some measurements with the 26x26 zox clone and I would be cutting it awefully close on the pedal/tire clearance...so I think I am going to stick with a 20x20.--should be lighter and take up less garage space as well. I also think I will try a mesh seat on my next build. I'd like to try that *****in trike one of these days.....(unless brad comes up with a SWB lowracer design before then...... ;)

I don't know when I will be able to start though. The wedding is on Oct 24----so I should be back in full force sometime nov/dec.

BTW---I've been very impressed with the amount of new people here and the two new plans brad came up with in such a short period of time. That trike is nothing short of a rideable piece of art.

trikeman
10-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Glad to hear you are still alive and kicking Greenhorn.

I have been mostly sidelined from riding myself for a month or so. I had to have an old surgery hernia repaired, and even though it was done laproscopicaly, it still means you can't lift anything over 25 pounds, or put too much pressure on the abdomen for awhile. I hope to be given the all clear by the doc at my next appointment. I got the plans for the Warrior trike, but think my next build will be the LWB V3 or X-stream clone I put on the back burner. I was sorely tempted to buy a V2 formula a guy from BROL who lives not far from me had for sale, but my XSeam was apparently about an inch too short to ride it comfortably. A ZOX looks pretty simple though.

You probably saw this video link on BROL. Very funny and true at times lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyduncFpzl4

It will all settle down soon.

Brad2001
12-03-2018, 09:40 PM
I'd appreciate an opinion. My Mrs has cashed a bond and is willing to buy a trike for me. As I've previously stated, my 220v MIG machine is not up to the challenge, I've done everything I know to try to rehab it to no avail. She will not go for a welder and a home built trike at this time. I will have to get a welder on my own dime (3 times displaced in the last 5 years, computer / network tech), I'm a kept man for the moment. I am looking at the Performer JC-20, JC-70 and JC-26X models. I will not be road biking in Wichita as the cagers here are killing motorcyclist in record numbers anymore and I'll not share the road with them. (I ride a Honda VLX600, a small cruiser, 69mpg). This part of the state is quite flat, no hills or at least very long inclines so I am assured of easy rides, neighborhood, area parks and bike paths. I'm 61 and twice a heart attack survivor. When I asked my cardiologist what would be the best exercise for me he stated "one that you want to do". I want to trike. Will someone please have a look at the offerings I've listed and give an opinion? I've only seen one rider in the last three months and he recommended a suspension model. What say you?