PDA

View Full Version : High Roller Handling Report

lock
01-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi,
Just thought I would report in, on the handling of my high roller.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3311/3193314667_c5aa9165e6.jpg
Things I have adjusted so far:

welded on extra steel tabs to the frame for my huge seat
lopped off the front boom that I didnt need
repainted the frame
added kick stand

To start with I thought it was too twitchy and down right dangerous when trying to turn at speed. I was actually very nervous about riding it, as my level of control was way down on my mountain bike. But, the more I rode it the more stable it became adjusting to a recumbent from DH bikes takes a little getting use to and now I am way more confident about riding on the road as it was me that needed to adjust and not the bike.

The one thing I had not realised was just how many heads turn. Its like being a supermodel, people in mid sentence just stop and stare or smile and point from a distance.

On flat ground and down hill slopes the high roller really flows along nicely and handles corners really well. It also has a great turning circle. On uphill slopes it is fine. I just drop to a low gear but on long steep hills I have to get off and walk its the only area where my mountain bike really out shines the high roller and the only reason is weight. I think built out of 2inch 0.9mm chrome molly I could half the frame weight. Add to it slicks and a light seat and this would be an absolute killer bike. In a normal place the weight really would not be an issue but where I live here in Gympie it is almost all hills.

The worst thing about this bike is that I have a near new mountain bike that that I spent a fortune on and it is just not fun to ride anymore! There is too much pressure on my wrists and the seat is constantly trying to bruise my butt and I really dont want to stare down at the ground. I never realized how much I use to put up with and how flawed the Diamond frame concept is. This high roller has spoilt me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/3193314651_80d510bb63.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3334/3193314661_89f60b76f4.jpg
I am really glad I built this bike and would encourage others to do so. The high roller has given me a new perspective on what cycling should be like.

trikeman
01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Great report Lock. Thanks for posting it. We don't get enough objective ride reports here.

I have always wondered about the handling on the HR, based on other reports of SWB handling. Brad makes it look easy in the parking lot video, but I suspect he has really good balance from years of recumbent riding and dirt bikes.

I started riding a small motorcycle last year, after advising so many people looking to build fast street-intended powered bicycles that if you are going to ride with the big boys (cars and trucks) you better have a vehicle with great brakes and the ability to get out of the way. Having never ridden one, the use of more forceful counter steering than my road bikes require and some emergency maneuvers at any speed over about 10 mph is something that takes a bit of getting used to. I suspect it may be the same with the HR.

You did a nice job on the build. It looks really nice.

SirJoey
01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
The worst thing about this bike is that I have a near new mountain bike that that I spent a fortune on and it is just not fun to ride anymore!Man, I can SOOOO relate to THAT one, Lock! I wasted 3 LARGE :eek: on that stupid Rhoades Car,
only shortly before discovering the AZ site! Now, I never ride it, it's resale value is practically nil,
& I can build something nearly as good (in SOME ways, BETTER), for a fraction of the cost!

This high roller has spoilt me.
...has given me a new perspective on what cycling should be like.I know what you mean. That's something I learned back in 1985,
although in my case, it was by neccessity.

Great job on the bike, & a good report, too! Thorough & well balanced. :rockon:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Greenhorn
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
What is the weight of your build?

Nice machine.

lock
01-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Greenhorn,
I just weighed it and it comes in at a portly 21 kilograms (46.2 pounds).

pcorbett
01-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Lock, your in deep now. Nicely done report. We do give reports here but we need more. I can say after building my daughters and giving it a test ride found it to be different than my LWB recumbents i.e. Meridian and Tourmaster. All three are a different ride. Got to love it. I must admit that the HR was a weird feeling seeing my turns and getting the feeling it was leaving my feet behind. you get used to it. Hills seem ok but the HR has mountain bike gears, much easier to make it up and 160 cranks, smaller crank circle. I'll see how my daughter feels about this year and upgrade to what she wants, I think it's fine for me. Somewhere in these posts I had weighed my bikes that threw everyone (http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=1798) . They can be made lighter but mine roll just fine. I spent 2 years riding my tallbike everywhere and I know the looks I was getting are close to the looks I get with my TM. You made a good choice for your build. I said before, you get a lot of bike for your build with the HighRoller.

Make some more!

Pete

Greenhorn
01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi Greenhorn,
I just weighed it and it comes in at a portly 21 kilograms (46.2 pounds).

Holy heavy HPV batman! What do you have in that seat? Rocks?

I hope mine doesn't weigh that much.

BTW--Love your paint job

savarin
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Nice build,excellent report.
I know what you mean about the twitchie aspect, takes a bit of getting used to but once sorted you wonder why you felt it in the first place.
I was put off SWB recs when I crashed a tailwind and wound up contorted into the frame with a torn knee that still is weak today. I never found out how I lost control but the HR looks a far better proposition.

BRADinSTL
01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Great looking bike, Lock !! Well done.

Tell me more about what you used for the large pulley... what did that come off of?

John Lewis
01-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the report Lock.

Very interested in your handling comments. That's exactly how I felt when I first rode my Bentech SWB. Now you've made me really want to get stuck into my Hi Roller.
I have a nice set of 700c wheels but it might be a bit tall for me.

Can you tell me how far it is from the ground to the highest point of your seat base please?

I'm a bit surprised at the weight as my Bentech came in at around 17/18 kg using round muffler tube. I did use a mesh seat and it doesn't have the extra tubing in the seat back support though but I do have disk brakes.

It really looks a great build and something to be proud of. There will be more builds now I'm sure. I'm speaking from experience here having completed my eighth build.

John Lewis

lock
01-14-2009, 06:57 AM
@Greenhorn
yeah I was a bit shocked that it weighed that much myself! If I lose 10 kilos riding it then the bike only really weighs 11kg!:cheesy:

@BradinSTL
This green pulley is a push scooter replacement wheel. They are just under 4 inches / 10cm long. If you look closely at these wheels there are brushed and bearing ones. Make sure to get the bearing wheels. For a package of 2 they cost me $15 they are super strong and actually have 2 sets of bearings on each side of the wheel.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/3195785591_4de567a348_t.jpg

Next get an old large screw driver that is just larger than the width of your chain and sharpen it up. Then bolt the wheel/pulley to your drill press or drill if need be and use the screw driver to reem out the middle providing a groove for the chain. This process works well and I think the chain would break before the pulley!:).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3501/3196629182_300e245ef9_t.jpg

The link below has some good pics of what is involved
http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/idler/idler.htm

The only thing I am considering is a metal guard over the top of the pulley to stop the chain coming out. This has only happened twice when riding on bumpy ground but its still annoying.

pcorbett
01-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Next get an old large screw driver that is just larger than the width of your chain and sharpen it up. Then bolt the wheel/pulley to your drill press or drill if need be and use the screw driver to reem out the middle providing a groove for the chain. This process works well and I think the chain would break before the pulley!:).

The only thing I am considering is a metal guard over the top of the pulley to stop the chain coming out. This has only happened twice when riding on bumpy ground but its still annoying.

I'm told not to discuss how I groove those wheels. SJ has set me straight and I'm much better nowwww.

On my 24" HighRoller I made a L-shaped chain keeper out 1" bar and mounted it on the pulley bolt. I was trying to keep it simple and skip a frame mounted one but was worried about it spinning around. Hasn't happened yet and I think it will let you know before things get ugly. Maybe I'll put a angled bend on the leading edge. I think gravity has to do with why it wants to jump out maybe because the slight chain angle doen't give much tension. My pulleys on my other bikes don't jump out but they run over the top.

lock
01-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi John,
I certainly intend to build more the feeling is definitely addictive. A little like this forum! Thanks for the kind words.

To answer your question I thought a pic might help
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3498/3195833819_5205358609.jpg
blue 64cm, yellow 55cm, red 74cm, green 67cm, & length of seat base 42cm.

I would think that 700c wheels may be a stetch. You would have to ensure that the seat was fairly narrow. Though if you are on your eighth build I am sure you know more than I.

Best of luck with the build and be sure to take some pics of your progress.

greenevegiebeast
01-14-2009, 12:39 PM
lock how dificult is it to get on and off your creation???

Greenhorn
01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Seriously, what did you use for your seat/cushion?

I was planning on making mine much thinner and using something like this for padding: http://www.nefitco.com/interlockingfloormats20mm.html

rickairmed
01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Greenhorn before you blow that much on that foam material check out Harbor freight and other such stores I picked up pretty much the same exact flooring mats from a place here called Bargain supply for $7.00 for the same square footage . Looks exactly the same . I also have some I got at Pep boys in front of my workbench only in a diamond plae pattern for not more than $10.00 .

Rick

jimFPU
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
HD and Lowe's carry the same stuff...

lock
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Seriously, what did you use for your seat/cushion?
Just regular light blue foam that is very firm but still has a lot of give in it. For example when I go over a gutter or large bump I feel a soft push on my back rather than a hard jolt.

I would be concerned that your seat choice would have very little cushioning but I haven't tried it so I don't really know. My foam came from the local foam and rubber shop and is more like the seat foam you can buy. I couldn't find the outdoor foam that Brad uses for his HR but I would think this would be good too.

lock how dificult is it to get on and off your creation???
Getting on is no probs at all. Getting off was a bit tricky to start with as it requires a little shim to get your butt in place for lifting out but after 3 or 4 goes its almost automatic and easy now.

Radical Brad
01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Nice machine, and thanks for posting the pics and report!

Drop some 75 Psi smoothies on there, and I bet you will notice a huge difference in speed!

Brad

John Lewis
01-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi John,
I certainly intend to build more the feeling is definitely addictive. A little like this forum! Thanks for the kind words.

To answer your question I thought a pic might help

Thanks Lock, Most helpful. My seat will be narrow. My euromesh clone or perhaps moulded plywood.

John Lewis