PDA

View Full Version : Questions about build

ditz
12-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I have yet to tackle one of your designs but I am quite interested in at least 3 of them. I think I would like to build the HighRoller first but have a couple of questions for you talented members.

1. Are there any jigs required?

2. It appears that the chain stays are built from front fork tubes. If this is correct I wonder why, rather than using the original rear triangle? One loses the forged dropouts with the shifter hanger.

3. Is there a problem with Mig welding chro-mo tubes to the main beam? Race car frames built with chro-mo are always Tig welded to contain the heat to a smaller area.

Thanks for your help

Ray

TheKid
12-13-2008, 04:28 PM
It looks like the rear has rear dropouts in the pics. I built a Meridian wth cromoloy forks flux core welded to the main boom with no problems. I also built a tadpole with a cromoly rear triangle wflux core welded to a mild steel frame with no problems. Hope this helps.

pcorbett
12-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Ray,

My last build was a HighRoller and I'll build a few more. The're a lot of bike for your effort. It's a pretty cool ride. As far as jigs are concerned, I didn't on my first HighRoller but I see where they could help. My next one I'm going to put the dropouts on the rear fork tubes first and then set them on a threaded rod with a spacer the width of the rear wheel. Then I'll bolt them to my work bench with angle iron brackets. Square and simple. I think I can have better control when I weld to the main boom, the steering head tube, and foward boom. Thats the only jig I see worth trying to keep everything straight and I see where I could add blocks of wood screwed down to the bench as I moved on to the front. It seems that taking it off the jig for fittings would be easy and with the threaded holding it always together.

As far as a rear triangle, why not. But it no longer has those nice lines that the the HighRoller has and becomes something different. I'd like to try it sometime.

MIG and TIG welding is out of my reach and know little of it. I use only my Microwave Transformer DIY Arcwelder. Things are just fine. Heat is your best friend and your worst enemy. What ever we use, we have to watch for it.

Keep it it fun and enjoy your ride

PC

ditz
12-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I appreciate the replies. It sounds like the rear chain stays are made from fork tubes that have the rear dropouts attached to them. I guess I will need another bike to get the needed second set of fork tubes.

I do have one more question at this time.

When I add one of the icons I get a written name of the Icon. (:xmas:) What do in need to change to get the image instead of the icon name?

Thx

Ray

locolarry
12-14-2008, 09:39 AM
just "preview" the post..icons should show, they'll also show when you actually submit...:punk:
LL

ditz
12-14-2008, 05:25 PM
So they do......:batman::dunce2::rolleyes4:....So Cool:cool:

ditz
12-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Well I have broken down and bought the plans. I went to the dump this morning and found 2 throw aways in the metal scrap. One was a chromo Trek and the other a Giant generic steel and both have the required forks. There was one set of wheels and all the components are on both bikes. All I need to get started is the 1.5 tubing. Is there a good place to get the tubing shipped rather than driving an hour each way to get it?

Sparky
12-17-2008, 03:26 PM
i used www.metalsdepot.com.

fast, easy, and nice shiny new steel.

more expensive than the local scrapyard im sure, but maybe not if you have to drive an hour to get there.

Trailblazzzzzer
12-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Ray,
Dont know how close you are to Cookeville but my boy lives there.
I stoped at a place called Stone Steel and they had alot of the necessities.
Tube mild steel, welding gas, rod, wire, machines.
These kinda places are so great!
Remember your "Hardware Store Budget":
- Dont take any plastic (credit cards)
- Dont get a cart at the door
- Only buy what what you can physically carry to the counter
- Dont spend more than the cash you brought in your wallet

That being said...
... the address and phone:
Stone Steel LLC
715 E 15th Street,
Cookeville, TN 38501
(931) 526-1063
(931) 372-0267 (Fax)

Good luck
Davo

ditz
12-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I think I will order the steel rather than drive to get it. Probably just as cheap in the long run. I live a good hour and a half from Cookville and probably 2 hours. Nice town town.

There is an inconsistancy in the plans. One place it calls for 1/4" bolts to clamp the bb to the main tube and another place it calls for 3/8" bolts. Does it really matter? I plan on using grade 8 for these bolts anyway.

Thanks to all again

Ray:rockon:

Radical Brad
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Both bolt sizes will be fine. Thanks for pointing that out.

Brad