PDA

View Full Version : Torch, mig, TIG, stick---all good

The Raider
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I have been welding thin (.035) 4130 tubing for twenty years on a daily basis and I am surprised that no one mentions Oct/Actl welding (not brazing). It is so easy on .063 steel. Thousands of airplanes have been built this way and it would be very negative if they were falling apart in the air. You can usually get free instructions at a local EAA (experimental aircraft association) chapter. Also, there are instructional video available. Welding mild steel can be done mig, tig and stick as well though I would never have considered stick until I read Brad's how to do it. He has proven that very high quality work can be done with the stick. I would think it to be the hardest because of the difficulty of controlling heat but like he says, PRACTICE, with what ever system you choose until you can get good results dependably. In aircraft construction, I always use my 110 V mig welder for tacking. Final welding can be with the torch or TIG. I like TIG brazing a lot and that is how I plan to build my DW.

rickairmed
12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Jerry I am competent with MIG ,Stick and Oxi/Acet but what I use in the garage regularly is MIG ( turn it on set it and forget it ) if I need to set the gun down in the middle of welding something I dont have to shut it off and then start over at the beginning when I pick it back up . I do plenty of Brazing at work so I enjoy the Mig at home :D. I will also say for somebody just starting out ( not sure if they will even complete the first project ) a basic Flux core mig type welder is cheaper usually than even a decent gas rig without the tanks included.

Rick

The Raider
12-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Rick, I have to agree. A little 110 V MIG is cheap to buy and easy to learn and it will handle everything on a bike. Jerry

macka
12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
The biggest reason why a lot of guys take a pass on oxy/acet welding is the fact that its cost prohibitive for small projects. A good set of torches and hoses plus the regulators is the same price as a good MIG. Then you add the cost of bottles and gas, you start running into more cost. I want to get a good set up, but I don't weld enough to justify having it. There are "hobby" rigs out there, but I have no experience with them. I may buy one in the new year to try, but I can't see it being very robust.

savarin
12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
gotta love O/A but the gas companies have you over a barrel, cost of rig, cost of gas and then the exorbitant cost of the bottle hire. Just puts it out the range of most hobbyists.
In the old days it was easy to find a friendly blacksmith who would swap the bottles for the gas cost if he knew you.
Not a chance today.

John Lewis
12-08-2008, 12:59 AM
gotta love O/A but the gas companies have you over a barrel, cost of rig, cost of gas and then the exorbitant cost of the bottle hire. Just puts it out the range of most hobbyists.
In the old days it was easy to find a friendly blacksmith who would swap the bottles for the gas cost if he knew you.
Not a chance today.

Mate had an extra set of bottles he'd won from somewhere. Get new bottles, wait a week or so and take the oldies he had back. No more rental!

This worked great until recently. Now they've barcoded the bottles and you have to take the same ones back.

End of a good scheme. The rental is the killer.

John Lewis