PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for HighRoller

John Lewis
11-30-2008, 04:46 AM
I have picked up a set of handmade road wheels. They are new, ETRO 622 x14. The front wheel has 20 spokes with radial spoking and the rear 24 in a 2 cross.
The rims are Alex double wall. I think the tyre will be a 700c x 23.

Now at this point I thought they might go well on a HighRoller provided I don't end up too short in the legs. My X seam is around 40 -41 inches. Might be touch and go.

But there is a question. Are they going to be strong enough?

I'm concerned that you cant unload on a bent like you can on a roadie.

John Lewis

greenevegiebeast
11-30-2008, 11:52 AM
John try a static load test, put a tire and tube on said wheel. And atach two flat bars to the axle, one on each side hangong down. Have somaone balance the wheel up right as you add weight to the bars. Idealy you at least 1.5 to 2 times the load weight. The down side of this test is that if the wheel fails its usaly non reparable

Radical Brad
11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
The load distribution on the HR is very similar to that of a roadbike, so if those wheels were fine on an upright, they will be fine on the HR.

I would think the wheels actually take more abuse on an upright especially during hill climbs as there is that tendancy to swing the bike left to right as you stomp on the pedals. That will never happen on a bent.

Brad

John Lewis
11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
The load distribution on the HR is very similar to that of a roadbike, so if those wheels were fine on an upright, they will be fine on the HR.

I would think the wheels actually take more abuse on an upright especially during hill climbs as there is that tendancy to swing the bike left to right as you stomp on the pedals. That will never happen on a bent.

Brad

Thanks Brad. That was what I was hoping to hear. Now I've just got to order the plans.

GVB. Thanks for that idea. I don't think I'll try it though. I'm sure the wheels would hold that test. My concern was when you hit a rough patch and put high momentry G loads on. On a roadie you can stand to unload and take out the shocks with your knees.

John Lewis