PDA

View Full Version : Metal Fume Fever

rickairmed
11-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Guys and Gals new guy here . I thought I might jump in here with some safety about welding . I see alot of guys here talking about using electrical conduit building their bikes . The thing that scares me here is what is known as Metal fume fever which can be caused by the zinc funes from this conduit . I will put a link up here from wikpedia on the subject . I recomend if you are using conduit in your builds make sure you get ll the zinc coating off of the areas you will be welding inside and out this stuff can KILL you and is not to be taken lightly Ok I will get off the soap box now just dont want to read about any of you guys or future builders in the Obits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Rick

theDude
11-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the link, Rick, and welcome to AZ! Most of us who use galvanized metal in our builds use it fairly sparingly. Also, we tend to weld outside where even a gentle breeze dissipates the fumes before we have a chance to breath them. I read up on metal fume fever and talked to a couple local welders and the consensus seemed to be that as long as you use a fan to blow the fumes away or keep your face out of the fumes then it wouldn't be a problem. I have only built three seat frames using conduit but I have never show any sign of poisoning.

macka
12-01-2008, 08:16 PM
I use muriatic acid to clean off the metal before welding. I am working on a fume hood also, so I can work in my basement this winter.