PDA

View Full Version : Can't Mig, Tig or Arc

steamboatm
10-11-2008, 09:42 PM
As my title says I Can't MiG, Tig or Arc, Its not that I don't know how, but I have a Pacemaker implanted and those are on the no no list. The local Welding suppliers will only sell Oxy/Acet. on a lease program and require that you have a welding ticket (Plus I sold my torches years ago). Has anyone built any of the bikes/trikes by just brazing them?
Regards,
Gerald

macka
10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
As I have learnt Raleigh used to build a lot of their production bikes using brazing. So yea it is doable.

greenevegiebeast
10-13-2008, 06:10 PM
:DThe bike inderstery standard years ago(before all the automation) was brazing. many of the custom road frame builders still braze. there are companys on the web that sell the joints so you can braze the frame your self. with some injenuity you could use them to build a recombant frame.

AtomicZombie
10-13-2008, 07:43 PM
With a solid background in brazing, you can probably do just about anything. Saying that, I don't think any of my plans would be safe being brazed unless you basically redesigned them from the ground up.

Brad

John Lewis
10-13-2008, 09:54 PM
With a solid background in brazing, you can probably do just about anything. Saying that, I don't thank any of my plans would be safe being brazed unless you basically redesigned them from the ground up.

Brad

Why do you say that Brad?

I've built a number of bikes all fillet brazed butt welds. They have thousnds of km on them and no problems including my first where I'd never used a torch before and it was done with a big butane blowlamp. You do need to keep tolerances tight though.

John Lewis

AtomicZombie
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't want to see anyone eat the pavement, or worse - a bumper, that's all.

Even a beginner welder can make most of my plans solid and safe with nothing more than a department store AC welder and a week of practice. Using Oxy, you better be really good at it as there will be a LOT less room for mistakes. Sound like you have that covered, John.

Let's take the DeltaWolf as an example. I have seen beginner welders do a nice job, and there are examples in the gallery. I used a torch for almost 4 years some time ago and became quite good at it. I would not be able to make the DeltaWolf safe by brazing - no way, no how. Maybe with a complete frame redesign using a lot of triangulation or even lugs, I might trust it.

That's just my 2 cents.

Brad

John Lewis
10-13-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't want to see anyone eat the pavement, or worse - a bumper, that's all...........

Brad

Thanks Brad. I see where you're coming from. Certainly better safe than sorry.

John Lewis

steamboatm
10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks all,
I think that if I do one of the designs (Looking at the Lode Runner), I will do all the cutting and see if I can find someone to do the welding. Having a Pacemaker does have some restrictions, but it is sure better than the alternative.
Regards,
Gerald.

macka
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Gerald,

do you have a tech school nearby, or even a community college? You may be able to get some free work through them. Also a pacemaker is way better then the solo basket in the dugout.