PDA

View Full Version : wheels

greenevegiebeast
10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I dont know if itsthe lazyness talking or a new idea, but has any one thought of making a hub for the rear axel that would alow you to bolt on a car tire.

AtomicZombie
10-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Scott kelly....

http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/scott-kelly/chop.htm

Brad

greenevegiebeast
10-05-2008, 11:10 PM
brad kat i just realizied I started this thred in the wrong area, i ment to put it in the choper trike area, has any one done the wheel hub on a renagade type trike??

SirJoey
10-06-2008, 09:02 AM
...has any one thought of making a hub for the rear axel that would alow you to bolt on a car tire.

Actually GVB, I've been planning that very thing for quite some time now,
only I wanna do it on the Gladiator trike, (if I ever get that far).

Granted, it'll make for considerably heavier wheels, leaving the centers in them, as opposed to spokes,
but I keep thinking how awesome that chop would look with those deep-dish SS Cragars from the rear of my van on it! :eek:

I think the added weight will be a small price to pay, for the look. Especially since,
like Chopzilla, it'll really only be for parades & shows anyway...

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9206/signaturehalloweenvr0.jpg

greenevegiebeast
10-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Joey you and I are on the same page, I posted this in the wrong area. There are two ways to do it that I can think of,

The first is to use a flange off a trailer. and mod it to work.

second is to use some plate steel and make your own.

I was looking t the make your own , the onlw thing I dont like about it is that if you plan on using regular wheel studs the sholder on the studs would require you to use at least 1/4 in stock to make the flange. weight is already going to be an issue that will make it worse.

AtomicZombie
10-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Make an X shape out of 1 inch, 1/4 inch thick flatbar. Weld the X to the end of the steel axle, and then spin it in a bearing to mark the bolt center line, then weld the studs to the X at the required bolt pattern. Now you can drop on those car rims.

Brad

greenevegiebeast
10-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Nice idea brad the only problem is the wheels I have have a 5 bolt paterm, I was thinking doing the same with a disc of 1/4 in steel, then cutting out as much of the disc as I can get away with. I think they are a 5 on 4 bolt patern so a 5 in disc would do.

TheKid
10-06-2008, 01:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken, most 5 bolt wheels are on either a 4 1/2" or 4 3/4" bolt pattern. I think the bet bet would be to make a cardboard or thin plywood template from the wheel itself, so you know exactly how wide a piece you'd need. Also, with that much weight and the axle supported on only one side, a 1" go cart axle with one side milled and threaded 3/4" might be a better choice. The threaded ends are usually 1 3/8" long, so a 6 or 7 speed freewheel would work out fine. For a freewheel adapter, you could use one of the commercially available ones from bikepartsusa.com. You'd have to drill it out to just over 11/16" and tap it so it threads on. If they don't have the 5/8" adapters, the 15mm ones that are more common would still work, but you'd have a little more drilling to do.

http://www.gokartgalaxy.com/solid_steel_axles.htm

n9viw
10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
A lot of modern 5-lug wheels are 5x4.5", or 5 lugs with a 4.5" bolt center spacing. Early 5-lug wheels, such as off Jeeps and domestic trucks, are 5x5.5. You'll find more 5x4.5 wheels in aluminum than the other size, most 5x5.5 wheels tend to be steel, unless they're aftermarket.
(closet petro-Jeeper!)

AtomicZombie
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
The system will work with any number of bolts since you trace the bolt cercle from the center. As long as your "wings" are close, there will be no problem welding on the studs.

I used this system on several car wheel robots, most had 5 studs.

Brad

SirJoey
10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Nice idea brad the only problem is the wheels I have have a 5 bolt paterm, I was thinking doing the same with a disc of 1/4 in steel, then cutting out as much of the disc as I can get away with. I think they are a 5 on 4 bolt patern so a 5 in disc would do.

That's kinda what I had in mind. Make a disc about 2" bigger diameter than the bolt circle, with a 3/4" hole
in the center for my axle, & drill the bolt holes, putting the studs in from the back, just like on a car.

For me, the problem will be locating the steel plate to make 'em from.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9206/signaturehalloweenvr0.jpg

xPosTech
10-26-2008, 01:05 AM
To save a little more weight, use Brad's method only make a crow's foot lug mount. Three lugs will mount the wheel just fine and be strong enough if you use 1/4" flat bar.

By crow's foot I mean a Y with the lugs at the ends. Cut two studs short to hold the two 'missing' lug nuts.

Three lugs will hold the wheel/tire just fine if your welds are up to snuff. At least on our trikes/bikes. There were several garden tractors that used three lugs on a 5 lug pattern.

Ted