PDA

View Full Version : stupidity

lumo
09-27-2008, 05:05 AM
hi guys, yesterday i was so nervous to do the first part of welding...
i put on the TIG on electricity...
put on the earth...
put on the torch...
put in the T. electrode...
mounted the parts i needed to weld on the workbench.
checked if every tube (gas) is connected, that everything is fixed
turned on the machine and started working.

i wondered why my electrode was blowing up like nothing... going down with amps to 30... still loosing electrode like wax.

(i thought the guy in the shop sold me bull****)

AFTER i finished my four parts i noticed that the gas was NOT TURNED ON.
hell thats a shame.
is it possible that cause of no gas the stuff melds like wax?
hope so, as the speed of loosing my tig electrodes is too fast. (adjust the stuff every 5 cm ~2inch is S**T)

greets
PS: although this is the first stuff, the parts did not break up (did a throw to floor test *lol*)

greenevegiebeast
09-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Oops, Ihad a similar act of stupidity. I was getting ready to weld had the welder out the ground atached. the work pice clamped in place. I made sure the feed speed and amprage were set right. put on my mask, doned my welding gloves, and tryed ti strike a spark nothng. It seems In all my prep I forgot to plug in the welder.:D:D

John Lewis
09-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi lumo,

Well I'm no expert on TIG but I've watched my friends at the wine tank manufacturers welding stainless with TIG and had a little try.

The little sharpened tungsten pin that is the electrode doesn't seem to burn down much at all. The main problem (for me) was not dipping the pin in the welding melt pool and contaminating it. If that happened you needed to regrind the tip with a special green grinder stone and start again.

Not sure what your problem is. Perhaps others with more knowledge than me will chime in.

John Lewis

lumo
09-27-2008, 07:01 AM
the guy from the shop told me last week that the spark only starts jumping if the tungsten pin is sharp; actually mine also starts when its flat!
will meet this guy on monday and talk with him whats going wrong. (i bet he knows)

@greenevegiebeast (http://forum.atomiczombie.com/member.php?u=471) i nearly do this every day with grinder or something else *lol* good part on that is... you cant get hurt when there is no electricity ;)

savarin
09-27-2008, 08:23 AM
No gas and the electrode will fuse to a blob.
The molten metal will absorb other gas from the air and usually end up like aero chocolate (but without the taste:D)
The gas shield allows the plasma arc to form easily and flow to the earth. (workpiece) and protect the molten pool.
Cut one of the welds in half if possible and have a look, or grind the surface off and see if it exposes holes.

Touching the work will also melt the tungsten tip as well resulting in contamination of the weld and a blob at the end of the tungsten.
Turn the gas on and place it close to your ear, you should be able to hear or feel it coming out the nozzle.
If you have the gas pressure up too high it can actually cause swirling of the shield sucking the outer air in thus contaminating the molten metal.

Odd Man Out
09-27-2008, 11:15 AM
TIG or GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) requires Argon gas shielding to work. Without Argon Gas you are not TIG welding -- heck you would be trying to creat a new welding art form :D. Also it is very important to use the right size and kind of tungsten rod and have that rod sharpened to a small pencil point. Also be sure to never touch the electrode to your work (and this happens quite frequently when you are learning because you need to keep the electrode so very close to the work. It you ever do, stop and resharpen it. I congratulate you on trying to learn the art of TIG welding. It is a most satisfying thing to accomplish. Be sure you recognize the weld pool when it is forming and be steady and take your time. TIG welding is measured by inches per minute! Have fun. I have a bit of experience in TIG so if you have any future Q's... I am here to help.

lumo
09-27-2008, 12:17 PM
thanks! will definitive ask more Q's ;)

had the next problem today... the gauge did not measure the bar/psi;
it simply ran through. noticed that its vice versa means you have to open it all way to stop it (thats stupid! - its opposite of my gauge on my diving gas! what for? to confuse ppl?!?!)

finally the gauge was ok till 150bar, after that it leaked (so i have to go to the shop on monday! yeah another weekend without tig welding.)

after this, i got home and wanted to mount the tyre onto the rims.
and guess what? i wasnt able to FILL THE TUBE WITH AIR.
seems today isnt my day.
so i stop touching anything! lay it down and try again next week

John Lewis
09-28-2008, 12:55 AM
thanks! will definitive ask more Q's ;)..............
after this, i got home and wanted to mount the tyre onto the rims.
and guess what? i wasnt able to FILL THE TUBE WITH AIR.

Hi lumo,

Looks like you'll get plenty of help with the TIG.

The tubes. What kind of valves? If they are the european style Presta valves there is a little nut at the top of the valve you need to unscrew before you can pump air in.

John Lewis

lumo
09-28-2008, 05:23 AM
i drove over to our gas station and filled em.
i have no clue why my neighbours pump did not work.
mine broke up yesterday ;) (i really shouldn't touch anything yesterday)

so tubes are mounted and filled now.
only have to fill em up to more pressure later today when i pass the next gas station ;)