PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Massachusetts

KOTA
09-20-2008, 06:30 PM
I've been checking in and out, occasionally, for about a year. Am on several other "bike" sites, but I found that I like these types of bikes the most. I've built a few bikes, nothing special. I've taken the time to read quite a few of your threads, and you guys are a LOT more technical then what I'm used to! A little background.....Well, I'm probably older then most of you, 55.......Fell in love with bikes AGAIN, about 5 years ago (makes me feel like a kid.):rolleyes: Decided to try my hand at "building", so I chose a Keith Moss inspired recumbent style. I still change things on it, it's my favorite! I'm looking forward to stealing a lot of your ideas ( I mean borrow). And purchasing some plans............ Here are a few things I've done, my first post here, so I hope they come out right.
KOTA

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff182/KOTA777/BBO18-2.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff182/KOTA777/06.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff182/KOTA777/007-3.jpg

locolarry
09-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Welcome, Youngster!! At 55 You are in the middle range!!!!!!!!!!!I'm 61...others are older, I think..
The big thing is that we are all YOUNG AT HEART !
Nice bikes, you fit in already!
Larry

Richie Rich
09-20-2008, 11:09 PM
...Well, I'm probably older then most of you, 55......Not quite, KOTA....A couple of years ago, I started a thread in the old Forums called "The Over The Hill Gang". I wanted to see how many of the AZ Krew were in the grey hair club. I think you'll be surprised to see the results. Click here.....

http://www.lucidscience.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1020

We have members who are in their 70's who are still enjoying building and riding bikes. Since I started that thread, I've turned 65 and now have my Medicare card.....SHEESH where did the time go??....!!!

I"m also from Massachusetts and do more building than riding. But I like to ride along the Cape Cod Canal access road whenever I'm down that way.

I noticed that you list the Postal Service as your Occupation. I'm retired from the USPS after 32 years of hard labor...!! But I'm now enjoying every day and having fun with bikes.

Click on the link below to see some of my creations.

I'll look for you on the Forums...!!

......Richie Rich.....

KOTA
09-20-2008, 11:42 PM
WOW!.........This is SCARY!....Richie Rich, I HAVE 32 years of HARD labor in a BMC, and live in Western MA...........locolarry, MY name is Larry. I think we ALL may be brothers from another Mother!:eek:

locolarry
09-21-2008, 12:19 AM
My Dad was a Mail Carrier in Dallas, Texas, for 14 years after retiring from the Army with 28 years...
My Grandfather was a Rural Route Carrier with horse and buggy in the Appalachian Foothills of North Alabama...until he was run over and crippled by a Model A Ford... He carried the mail while walking with a cane in our old neighborhood in Decatur, Alabama, when I was a kid.. The world gets smaller every day, Huh?

PS KOTA--If your name is Larry then You must be a good lookin', smooth talkin' *****! Thas Right! It's too bad we were born so smart and good looking instead of RICH.....:cool:

KoolKat
09-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Welcome KOTA!

klocwerk
10-30-2008, 01:28 AM
Hey all,
another Mass resident here, checkin in. I live in Somerville right near Boston.

I have grand plans to make myself a deltawolf this winter. we'll see how it goes!

pcorbett
10-30-2008, 05:07 PM
.....Well, I'm probably older then most of you, 55.......Fell in love with bikes AGAIN, about 5 years ago (makes me feel like a kid

At 56 I thought I was one of youngest here. I STILL THINK THAT! I live on the outer Cape, the other side of MA. I'm a few minutes from the state park and a few more to the Cape Cod Rail Trail. Lots of good riding here for three seasons plus! "It doesn't snow on Cape Cod" say the old ones. Speaking of which, my dad. When he retired the first time he would lead public bike rides from the bike shop to Dennis and back to Eastham. He just retired again at 85 but doesn't ride, but he cruises all the hot spots to find me bikes. I trained him well as he gets good ones! His dad passed away years ago at age 93 and had quite the bike history himself.
http://home.comcast.net/~ppcorbett/1910.JPG
I don't think he owned a car till the late thirties. All of us here should age this long.

Cool bikes you have. I like the long ones.

Life is way to short to ride an ugly bike!
Ride on

klocwerk
10-31-2008, 09:16 AM
At 56 I thought I was one of youngest here. I STILL THINK THAT! I live on the outer Cape, the other side of MA. I'm a few minutes from the state park and a few more to the Cape Cod Rail Trail. Lots of good riding here for three seasons plus! "It doesn't snow on Cape Cod" say the old ones.
Cool bikes you have. I like the long ones.

Life is way to short to ride an ugly bike!
Ride on

Sooo... I shouldn't mention that I'm 28?
:D

pcorbett
10-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Sorry son but your mother said you'll just have to ride the trikes till you get older.

That won't be hard to take!

jimFPU
10-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Wow, so I guess that put's me at less than middle aged...

I'm with Brad at 40. Weird thing is I retired from the USAF 2 years ago!! That's right RETIRED. Weird...:eek:

Pagan Wizard
11-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Sooo... I shouldn't mention that I'm 28?
:D

Whew!!!! I thought that approaching my 44th at the end of the year, I was amongst the youngest in the family.

Speaking about that "grey hair club", despite my youthfull age, I have a few greys creeping in on my receeding hair line.

greenevegiebeast
11-01-2008, 06:31 AM
ok guys im not feelin so bad, I turned 39 in aug, but im a full blown member if the grey hair club(ge workin retale, tryin to teach my wife to drive stick, tryin to teach my wife any thing, ) Ive been told it is heredtary in my family.(so isdiein aaat 47 of a heart atack we are tryin to buck that trend):D:D

KOTA
11-01-2008, 08:26 AM
klockwerk;, As the saying goes...."28", I gots shoes older then that! As far as grey hair, at 55, I don't have a SINGLE gray hair on my head! Some guys use "Just For Men"..............I prefer a razor.

Pagan Wizard
11-01-2008, 11:44 AM
The only thing I will ever use on my hair is shampoo. If it wants to go grey or fall out, I am cool with it.

pcorbett
11-01-2008, 07:05 PM
As far as grey hair, at 55, I don't have a SINGLE gray hair on my head!

Whoa! I got so much freaking gray hair I look like a Q-TIP!

http://home.comcast.net/~ppcorbett/peestop.JPG

And you won't get close enough to use the razor.

KOTA
11-01-2008, 07:49 PM
pcorbett, for a 12 pack of beer, I can take care of THAT problem!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff182/KOTA777/gramp3001.jpg

Richie Rich
11-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey, KOTA....I hope that's not a recent photo....I'm not ready for snow around here yet...!!! :mad:

I hope there'll be a few more days when I can drag the DW down to the Cape Cod Canal and cruise the 6-mile access road. I try to get there often during the Summer and make a day of it with my family.

http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/richpeters/delta.htm

....Richie Rich.....

tomas
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Dang, I thought that bridge looked familiar in the background of one of your Yellow Fever pics.

I'm in Western Mass and enjoy biking on Cape Cod. I'm just getting started myself with bike building, not sure how far I'll get. It looks like your making good progress on your Street fox. You must have some crazy tools, do you use arc/sticker or mig for welding?

-Tomas

>>I hope there'll be a few more days when I can drag the DW down to the Cape Cod Canal and cruise the 6-mile access road. I try to get there often during the Summer and make a day of it with my family.

Richie Rich
12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Dang, I thought that bridge looked familiar in the background of one of your Yellow Fever pics.
I'm in Western Mass and enjoy biking on Cape Cod.Welcome aboard, Tomas....!! Yes, I try to get there as often as I can, but it's a 45 minute drive for me. My family comes with me and we bring a bunch of bikes & some lunch and make a day of it. Lotsa fun...!!

It looks like your making good progress on your Street fox. You must have some crazy tools, do you use arc/sticker or mig for welding?The 'Street Fox' is my Winter project to help keep my sanity during the long, cold, dark New England Winter. I try to build at least one bike each year. Check my little website at the bottom to see some past projects.

As for tools, I have nothing special...everything is done with just a few tools from Home Depot. You'd be surprised at what you can do with an electric drill, a right-angle grinder and a welder.

The welder is a flux-core wire feed 110-volt Lincoln (Home Depot). Most of the material used is from discarded "Road Kill" I find on trash day.

So, pick a project, Tomas and jump right in. There's plenty of support here on the Forums and we're always glad to lend a hand. Just be sure to take LOTS of pictures along the way. We 'Zombies' LOVE pictures...!!

....Richie Rich...