PDA

View Full Version : mig welder into a stick welder

ratcycle
09-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Has anyone tryed to turn there mig welder into a stick welder yet?

n9viw
09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Not to be crude, but why would you bother? I can understand wanting to do it to save gas or wire or something, but the QUALITY, not to mention the repeatability, of MIG over stick sort of makes the whole operation obtuse. I like my stick welder to be a stick welder, and I like my MIG to be MIG. If I need the other, I'll use it.

AtomicZombie
09-17-2008, 09:09 PM
I once converted 3 old car batteries into a nice stick welder!

7018 - smooth as silk.

Brad

macka
09-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Not to be crude, but why would you bother? I can understand wanting to do it to save gas or wire or something, but the QUALITY, not to mention the repeatability, of MIG over stick sort of makes the whole operation obtuse. I like my stick welder to be a stick welder, and I like my MIG to be MIG. If I need the other, I'll use it.

Miller and Hobart both have dual duty welders that do both Arc and MIG. Millers suitcase sized 220 is both.

ratcycle
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
See i have a Hobart 125 handler and i wanted to convert into a stick welder.

ratcycle
09-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey Atomic how did you build a stick welder out of old car batteries?

AtomicZombie
09-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Charge 'em up, join 'em in series, then weld.

I used a 36 volt trickle charge at all times. Keep the batteries at 80% then they last longer.

This is a last resort type of thing - you know, road warrior style!

Brad

macka
09-18-2008, 06:19 PM
See i have a Hobart 125 handler and i wanted to convert into a stick welder.

Honestly your better off buying a used arc welder. The cost to convert properly would be close to the same.

ratcycle
09-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Ok i got the part about hooking the batteries up in a series but how do you the trickle charge and how did you hook up the electrode holder?

AtomicZombie
09-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Trickle charge is a constant charge of about 5 amps into the batteries. Same as a cheapo car battery charger, but proper voltage for the bank.

As for the electrode and wire, mine was a starter cable cut in half with vice grips at one end.

Keep in mind that this is not a recommended way to weld! In my old days, I did some scary stuff.

Brad

TheKid
09-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I read somewhere that farmers and rancher used that method when out in the field to repair machinery and fences.

macka
09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I read somewhere that farmers and rancher used that method when out in the field to repair machinery and fences.

You could realistically buy a stinger and lead and a ground clamp and lead and hook them up too. Strip a bit off of each lead and hook them into a battery clamp and then you could weld DC+ or DC- but switching the leads to the respective posts on the battery.

AtomicZombie
09-18-2008, 11:27 PM
And if for some odd reason you are actually thinking about trying this, keep the battery well away from the sparks and use in a well ventilated area!

300 amps, hydrogen gas, sulphuric acid and many sparks. Not a good combination unless you are trying to make a large hole where your garage is now.

Brad

macka
09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm also not responsible if you get hurt or injured, you are on your own.

ratcycle
09-19-2008, 05:15 PM
does anyone know where i can get the cable and electrode holder as a set for cheap?

AtomicZombie
09-19-2008, 06:54 PM
If you are looking at purchasing items for a makeshft welder, it will probably be cheaper to just drop down 200 bucks on a nice AC stick welder.

Remember, the battery hack is VERY temporary. Not to mention, killing 3 decent car batteries will cost you a few dabloons.

Brad

macka
09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Any welding supply shop will have them, but like AZ says its cheaper to buy a dedicated stick welder off of ebay or kajiji. A lot of used welders go cheap, because they have sat for a while and the owners intentions of being a weldor have faded, or they just give up because they don't have the patience. If you do decide to get a real welder, Miller and Hobart are good brands to look at, avoid the cheap 110 AC machines, as they are really light duty. There are good 110 machines, but they are more then 120 bucks brand new. I know bosstools up here in Canada has some, and Daytona Mig in the US carry some good 110 AC welders, just make sure its not cheap junk, and you can change polarity. The real cheap ones are DC+ only or DC- only. 2 different machines for 2 different jobs.

TheKid
09-19-2008, 10:36 PM
My HF cheapie is AC only.

trikeman
09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I see good used LIncoln 225 AC breadbox welders almost daily on Craigslist for $100. I really doubt anyone could buy the parts to build a decent one for that. Unless you just want the joy of building one, why fool with anything less?