PDA

View Full Version : I Can Ride The DR!

TheKid
08-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I got the DR to the point I can actually use it. The first thing will be to ride it down to my LBS and get a tandem brake cable for the rear. Then I'll come back and install the idler pulley, and wait for my new stem and shifter.
Anyone who wants a high riding trike with high upright seating, should download the plans as soon as they are available. This is a very smooth riding trike, much more comfy than my Fox that is modded for my disabilities. The 26" wheels make all the difference, plus I installed 65PSI tires, which smooth out the ride. It easily climbs hills in the lowest gear, which is 29 gear inches on my DR. That's actually a pretty high gear for me. I have mine set up with a 5 speed, because I don't need speed for this trike. If you don't need speed, I highly recommend the simplicity of 5-7 speeds with a small chain ring, 32-36 teeth.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/Delta%20Runner/000_0480Small.jpg?t=1220139464

greenevegiebeast
08-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Kool trike what did you use for the frame I still have some 1.5 16 ga box steel left from my "OVERKILL" project. I need somthing that sits a little higher I think with my knees 4 inches off the ground is a little low. MY MAJOR CONCERN IS STRENTH. if I have to I will up grade the front wheel or custom builfd it. :D

TheKid
08-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I used 16ga 1 1/2" square tube for the frame. This started out well over a year ago as a single KC, with 20" wheels. I forgot I even had the frame built until Brad introduced the DR. Since I didn't have a 20" fork, but I had the fork from the Fox donor, I decided to put the Hauler on hold and mod the front end of the single KC. I compare this to my favorite two wheeler, the Meridian. It's easy to ride, light enough to climb hills and is as fast as you want to make it. For anyone with disabilities, this is a fantastic trike.

greenevegiebeast
08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Disabilities,RIIIIIGHT. I weigh 400+ have bad knees, asthme and narcolepsy.I am smart enough to give up driving.I will beusing it to comute about 7 mi each way a day. I am planing on adding some kind of motor assist.:D

TheKid
08-30-2008, 09:39 PM
A hub motors are perfect for any trike. I have bad knees too, and was planning on mounting the BB under the boom. However, I made my seat high enough to avoid it. It would have put the BB 12 1/2" off the ground, which IMHO is cutting it close, the short 5 1/2" crank notwithstanding.

greenevegiebeast
08-30-2008, 10:09 PM
I have acses to a chain drive gass motor with better range and power than a wheel motor. the real thing that worrys me abouyt electric motors. is the battery pack. as is i will have 400 lbs on the frame the last thing i need is another 50-100 lbs of batteries.:D

TheKid
08-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Gas engines aren't legal in most states, but electric motors are legal in many states. I'm supposed to get this new seat on Monday. I hope the hinge scews are in the same position so I could put my fishing rod tube on it. sooner or later I'll have to reupholster in cloth, because the vinyl is murder on hot humid days.

http://www.boatingseats.com/swatchImages/wd434-gr.jpg

greenevegiebeast
08-31-2008, 01:52 AM
actulay they are in many statesyou just have to keep within certain guid lines. in texas the size limit is 38cc and no faster than 30 mph, the odd thing is there is no mention of three wheelers. in fact the law specificaly states two wheelers. so im in a state size grey area. I have frends with moterized bikes in town. and as long as they behave them selfs the boys in blue leve them alone. I have talked to many police oficers in the area, the general concesus is . be a good boy and I will have no problems. act like a fool and they will be on me like white on rice.:D

SirJoey
08-31-2008, 08:03 AM
That looks great, Kid! Looks like a nice, compact little ride, too, the kind I like!
So, what did your wheelbase length & width end up being?

Sounds like you've finally got one that's just right for you.
Nice to have a comfy ride that's easy to mount & dismount, eh?
I'll bet that little jewel's gonna be your favorite from now on! :)

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

TheKid
08-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks Joey. This is the answer to those of us who love the Meridian, but need a trike or quad. In fact, if you put a 20" wheel up front, and angle the seat mount, it would look similar to the Meridian. But I think the 26" front wheel gives a smoother ride. I had a 20" suspension fork on my Meridian, which helped the ride considerably over a non suspension fork. What I want to do now, is find another 26" suspension fork, and extend the wheel mounts, to see if that improves the handling by reducing the wheel flop. The wheel flop is easily manageable, but I'm always looking for improvements. I don't want to mod this fork, because if it doesn't work, I'll have to un-mod it.
I thought the track was 28", but I forgot that this was a little wider than the DW and Hauler I was building. The track is 31 1/2". When the spinners are added, the total width will be about 39". I didn't measure the length, but it's 7-7 1/2 feet.

back2life
08-31-2008, 03:01 PM
That bike rocks. I have a replaced knee and hip so the low riding bikes are not really effective for me to ride. That is one reason I picked the DL but from the way these are looking I just might make one for my third build.

TheKid
08-31-2008, 03:47 PM
For bad knees and hips, the Meridian for a bike and the Delta Runner for a trike can't be beat. I said it before and I'll say it again. When Brad makes the DR plans available, download and build as soon as possible. You won't be sorry.

greenevegiebeast
08-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Any thing requiring me to get 400 lbs (my butt) off the ground or nearly off the ground is a royal pain. If i made a mistake with my "OVERKILL" IT IS THE RIDE HIGHT. @ Around 4-6 inches off the ground it is tough for me to git up.:eek:

TheKid
08-31-2008, 06:37 PM
That's why my tadpole was modified so often. As I got worse, the seat became higher, and the pedals got lower. With this trike and the Meridian, seat height isn't an issue, it's a blessing.

greenevegiebeast
08-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Kid let me make sure I got this right, You took the"Meridian" desighn and modded the rear to maake it a delta trike. right.
other than the wheel base what is the giferance between that and the "Load Carrer" design???

SirJoey
08-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Kid, I've got a couple of brand new, 24" suspension forks from those 2 new donors I bought last year.
If that would help, LMK. I'd be glad to ship ya' one, complete with bearings, races & cups if ya' need 'em.

SirJoey
08-31-2008, 07:56 PM
...I didn't measure the length, but it's 7-7 1/2 feet.

I'm surprised. It doesn't look that long. I guess cuz it's taller.

TheKid
08-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Kid let me make sure I got this right, You took the"Meridian" desighn and modded the rear to maake it a delta trike. right.

No, I took the Kyoto Cruiser and made it into a single. I was going to put 20" wheels all around, but I didn't have a 20" fork, so it went on hold. I forgot I even had the frame until Brad introduced the Delta Runner, which looked exactly like the frame I had. I still had the 26" fork from the Fox donor, so I used it and laced up hubs I already had. The Loderunner has a heavy duty 2" frame, with more room behind the seat for carrying loads. And Brad even built a box on the back.

Kid, I've got a couple of brand new, 24" suspension forks from those 2 new donors I bought last year.
If that would help, LMK. I'd be glad to ship ya' one, complete with bearings, races & cups if ya' need 'em.

Thanks Joey, but I like the 26" wheels all around. The Hauler will get 24" wheels in the rear, and a 20" up front. That frame works out real nice with only about 3/4" of trail.

greenevegiebeast
09-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Kid i have to ask, how mutch do you think the load limit on your design is.

TheKid
09-01-2008, 01:06 AM
That's a question for Brad. I 'm sure he'll include that info when he makes the plan available.

tim spicer
09-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Nice work Kid. Your knowledge you share with us rookies is a big help. Thanks for the informative posts. Tim

AtomicZombie
09-01-2008, 12:23 PM
The load limit to this trike style is only limited to the radial strength of the rear wheels, unlike the DeltaWolf, which will see a lot more side loading.

The reason for this is because the center of gravity is much higher and the trike would tip well before a wheel collapse would be possible.

The good news is that the 26 inch rear wheel and hub design is exactly the Same as the DeltaWolf, so it is at least as strong without the risk of much side loading due to the DeltaRunner not being a "race around corners" machine.

If you choose a good double wall rear rim and heavy spokes, the DeltaRunner should be fine with 300 pounds or more. Also, the frame is much stiffer and does not have to be made from tubing over 16 gage to take more weight.

Brad

xPosTech
10-26-2008, 02:54 AM
actulay they are in many statesyou just have to keep within certain guid lines. in texas the size limit is 38cc and no faster than 30 mph, the odd thing is there is no mention of three wheelers. in fact the law specificaly states two wheelers. so im in a state size grey area. I have frends with moterized bikes in town. and as long as they behave them selfs the boys in blue leve them alone. I have talked to many police oficers in the area, the general concesus is . be a good boy and I will have no problems. act like a fool and they will be on me like white on rice.:D

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm
Texas Transportation Code (known herin as TTC)
(2) "Bicycle" means a device that a person may ride and
that is propelled by human power and has two tandem wheels at least
one of which is more than 14 inches in diameter.

(8) "Moped" means a motor-driven cycle that cannot
attain a speed in one mile of more than 30 miles per hour and the
engine of which:
(A) cannot produce more than two-brake
horsepower; and
(B) if an internal combustion engine, has a
piston displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less and connects to
a power drive system that does not require the operator to shift
gears.
(9) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, other than a
tractor, that is equipped with a rider's saddle and designed to have
when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground.
(10) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle equipped
with a motor that has an engine piston displacement of 250 cubic
centimeters or less. The term does not include an electric bicycle.

551.351. DEFINITION. In this subchapter,
"motor-assisted scooter" means a self-propelled device with:
(1) at least two wheels in contact with the ground
during operation;
(2) a braking system capable of stopping the device
under typical operating conditions;
(3) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic
centimeters;
(4) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit
while operating the device; and
(5) the ability to be propelled by human power alone.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1242, 3, eff. June 18, 2005.

Thanks to user mouchyn over there at MotoredBikes.com (http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=15421).

I've also seen reference to the feds saying states cannot discriminate if rider on powered trike is disabled. I.E. one can legally claim it is disabled transportation; the same as a powered wheelchair. :cool: I think if the rider's saddle in (9) above is replaced with a seat it's an exception to the motorcycle definition.

Hmmm . . . :rolleyes: I wonder if that means Medicare will pay for a . . . :D

Ted