PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ottawa Canada - Return of the Vikings

mcoolin
10-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Well the wife and I have started to plan a bicycle trip around the world. The Viking appeals to use for both pace and comfort.

We purchased the plan and are currently figuring out how to build this monster trike but make it portable between continents.

We would love to hear from other builders of the Viking as to any issues they found, any suggestion they have or even a friendly wave.

After reviewing the build document which is very detailed I have a few concerns with the wheel/steering/brake components. I'm hoping to get a more solid solution for these parts as these seems to be the likely fail points. The rest of the bike looks awesome.

We hope to have this built by next year, spring ideally, so we can start testing, refining our equipment for the long haul.

We will be starting close to home, but out first leg likely will be in Scotland/Ireland and then through Europe.

A challenge for us is we have no shop, metal tools, or welder, but we do have some good areas to get things done.

Twinkle
10-17-2018, 03:57 PM
We built a quad ( look in the gallery for the quadem project )
We found it underpowered with 2 of us pedalling without luggage as to "break it down to fit into 2 suitcases " I feel it is TOTALLY unrealistic, sorry if this puts a dampener on the project ,just the trike would weigh about 90lb as an estimate with heavier materials .

Saying all that - I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your build photos

regards emma

charlie
10-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Use more aluminum...

mcoolin
10-18-2018, 08:16 AM
We built a quad ( look in the gallery for the quadem project )
We found it underpowered with 2 of us pedalling without luggage as to "break it down to fit into 2 suitcases " I feel it is TOTALLY unrealistic, sorry if this puts a dampener on the project ,just the trike would weigh about 90lb as an estimate with heavier materials .

Saying all that - I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your build photos

regards emma

Thanks Emma,

I've had a few discussions with various people about the ability to break down the trike for transport and I think the ideal may work fine for a bicycle but likely not for the Viking. Besides we are taking enough other items that any gain to be had is lost due to airline overage/extra bag charges. Its like the electrics, if we are in North America we'd be fine but going abroad just makes this to difficult so we will just pass on it.

It was interesting to consider but it hardly puts a damper on thing. It does mean we now need to plan more carefully for the transport of the bike when jumping continents. We also need to budget for it as well. All good to know ahead of time.

Your quadem (http://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=4925&catid=searchresults&searchid=1243) is very interesting.

Do you find the quadem under powered with the two of you pedaling?
What size wheel is that 20 or 24 inch?

The Viking plans calls for 16 gauge tubing but recommends 12 if we plan to carry much or are heavier riders. We estimate the 16 gauge bike @ (80 lbs) and riders+equipment will come in around 500 lbs. We are leaning towards the heavier gauge, but if we decide to trailer we might go to the lighter gauge to try to keep things a bit lighter. I'm not sure what the weight difference but your guess of a 10 lbs difference sounds about right.

I have cycled with a trailer before and found it an effective way to move alot of weight. I've done the pannier thing too and on a recumbent trike its great. I may have to try both locally to make up my mind as they sort of come out pretty even in my books.

Twinkle
10-18-2018, 01:30 PM
The quadem thread and "outer disc brake on a delta quad" thread now lack photos due to photoimage and the inability to change the links
it was running on 20" wheels basically as it was a converted streetfox with a long rear end. The engines combined age was about 130yrs old which didnt help much .
it was a great laugh especially at xmas dressed as 2 santas .but I would not and never did use it for more than a few miles about 10 mles was the limit , we use the e-trikes all the time now as they work for us

regards emma