PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Highroller

Hugh
06-29-2018, 11:06 AM
We just had bike week here in Winnipeg and there is a local group of recumbent riders that got together to put on a display at the final day. There were a couple 2 wheel bents similar to the highroller and that got me thinking. I have built a Warrior trike and it now has about 2500 km,s on it, it,s very comforetable to ride plus it has an electric hub motor in the rear wheel. Sometimes it's just easier to head out on my fat bike for a ride but it sure is painful on the wrists, neck and butt after awhile. So I bought the highroller plans a few days ago and will give that a try. I,ve found a nice $30 bike with 24" wheels so that will provide a lot of the parts. Once i read the plans it seemed you need 2 front forks which means another bike needed. Until i read some of the builds here and some mentioned making a Warrior type rear fork. I am going to pick up my tubing later today. All my Warrior pictures had disappeared so until I figure out how to post pic,s it will be text only.

stormbird
06-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Hi there

Is your $30 bike steel ?

if so it looks like brads plans rely on the head tube being welded at 90' to the boom and the curve of the rear forks giving you a head angle that produces the right amount of trail for the bike to handle well ?

Try welding the head tube in as Brad suggests to the main boom.

Then if you were to cut the down tube free from the donor BB and the top tube free from the seat tube you could weld the main boom of the Highroller to the donor BB setting the trail for the bike ?

In effect rotate the rear triangle back around it's axle until you achieve the correct trail ?

You may even be able to use the donor seat tube to mount your seat ?

darnthedog
06-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Postimage.org changed servers and is now postimage.cc. It still works its just old links will not work any more due to change in servers.

Using the method to make a rear fork like the warriors has been done. It saves on needing 2 bike frames anyways. There is also the Spirit and Tomahawk which use the Warrior method to make the rear fork. I have also considered build a Bandito at one time as there is very little to change to a frame. Where as the Spirit and Tomahawk only use the BB, the 1 fork and tube and wheels. All look to be fun rides if your balance it good.

That why 6 for $36 is such a great deal- you can look over all the plans and decide whats best for you. Have fun building.

Hugh
06-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the replies stormbird and darn the dog. My $30 donor bike is steel so that parts all good. I found another steel childs bike but it is too nice to cut up so it is being checked over/lubed then will be given to my grandson in a couple weeks. I am going to look into using the rear chainstay from the donor bike which should solve a couple issues. Weight being one issue - I always overbuild things, from tiny travel trailers to my Warrior trike so this time the plan is to try to minimize weight on the project. The plans say you can alter the wheel sizes and the thing to watch for is to maintain a certain angle for the head tube, 71 degrees I believe the plans say. So I will weigh the chainstay option versus the Warrior type rear and go with the lighter version

stormbird
07-01-2018, 02:52 AM
Be careful you don't make it to high to get a foot down or mount !

Hugh
07-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Be careful you don't make it to high to get a foot down or mount !
For sure a consideration, thats why I decided to go with the 24" wheels. Brad's plans indicated someone over 5' 8" would be okay even with a 700C wheel. I want to be able to put both feet down flat on the ground. Also not looking for maximum speed here, more like maximum comfort. On the Warrior it's easy to cruise at or slightly over 16 kph without using it's electric assist. The hope is a High Roller will be the same or even a bit faster under pedal power. On another note has the price os steel ever gone up, a 24' long sq tube for the Warrior cost me around $25 3 years ago, last week the price was $71. On the good side there enough to make 3 High Rollers though, which of course I don't want to do.

Twinkle
07-01-2018, 10:16 AM
6m of 40x40 x 1.5m cost me 28 a couple of weeks ago previous lot 25 about 2 years ago.
( 2 tadpoles worth )
Slight increase is my comment

Regards Emma

darnthedog
07-01-2018, 07:54 PM
You could go on to build the Spirit or the Front runner in the future with the extra steel. :evilgrin:

As to cost of steel, I haven't checked lately. But fuel costs are up here so the rest of the prices are bound to go up.

Hugh
07-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Actually I have a plan, sort of, for the extra steel. On my Warrior trike I had decided to build an enclosure for it. It worked but it was heavy, the biggest benefit was the cold weather protection it offered, at 10 below Celcius no jacket was needed. But the roads here especially in spring are rough and the front part of the frame where the pedals are on the trike bent down a small amount. So I removed the body and the plan is to build something a bit closer to Brads velomobile but using his Delta plans versus using a tadpole style. But thats a winter project.

Hugh
07-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Here is a picture of the progress so far. I just received a set of Continental street tires in a 24" size but will wait to mount them. We are in the midst of a heat wave so I may just turn the old garage A/C on and do a bit more more work and then go for an evening ride when it cools off a bit.
https://s8.postimg.cc/mtsj8kb5t/P1020741.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/mtsj8kb5t/)

Hugh
07-22-2018, 10:13 AM
A quick update. the build is proceeding slowly, I want to take my time with this one and sweat the little details. The rear brace has been added plus the seat has been bolted on as well although it's gonna be on and off a few times getting modified. i was able to use the original plywood seat made for my Warrior since it got a hommade mesh seat. While it was on it's wheels i tried sitting on it to get an idea of the bottom bracket placement. It seemed very awkward to mount/dismount and even to getting a leg up to the forward pedal. Mind you that's with no handlebar built at that time and with the bike leaning against the workbench. Then an Aha moment - in my shed is a folding trainer that was purchased for winter garage use. It was brought out and dusted off and the bike was fastened to it holding it upright and level. Now I can practice getting on and off and it is making the handlebar design and placement very easy. That is where the build is at this point. The welds need to be touched up and then cleaned with the grinder, the rear wheel needs a bit of spacer work and then the brakes need to be figured out. I had bought extra pulleys when the Warrior was built and now have a small pile of bike parts as well so more fun to be had. Oh I should mention that since both wheels are the same size I just cut a 90 degree hole in the frame tube and put the head tube through the frame. The picture shows it. The angles are all good and when i roll the bike forward by hand it has no tendency for flop over, the front wheel tracks nice and straight.

FrankCrank
07-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Hello again Hugh,

just replied to you over on BROL, but thought I'd add something here as well. You mentioned brakes, and mine only has a rear brake. Wanted a front one, but just not enough room for it to work, v-brake arms fouling on the chain, whether arms on the front of fork or rear. Will make do as no hills here, and not in traffic. A disk brake would be nice, and no fouling issues. Your BB height does look high in the photo, but then it is a 'high roller' I guess. I've done about a dozen test rides so far on my SWB, and already can feel a little numbness in my feet after about 30 mins or so. I attribute this to the BB being higher than on my trike and LWB, which have been in regular use for a few years now. The SWB is a welcome addition to the stable, each having their pluses and minuses, all adding variety......

Hugh
08-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Well the build is proceeding slowly. I just went down to my local bike shop and picked up new inner and outer brake and shifter cables. The chain has been added along with a pulley and a modified set of rear deraileur wheels for the return line. It turned out that the seat needed to be mounted and the rear deraileur needed to be installed and hooked up to properly check the chain line and make sure nothing fouls. And it turned out the return chain did just barely touch the bolt holding the pulley on so last night it was removed and will be repositioned. I used my original plywood seat from the Warrior trike but modified it a bit. A can of insulating spray foam was used where the plywood panels joined to round off the profile. I let the foam cure for a day then used a rasp and some sandpaper to shape it to something that fit me then put 3 light layers of fibreglass cloth over the top of the seat each painted with a coat of resin. It turned out well. Also from my Jeep days i had a bit of steel brake line laying around that a bicycle outer cable fits very nicely into so a couple small pieces of tube will be tacked to the frame to act as cable guides.

Hugh
08-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Heres a picture of the highroller with the cables, chain, seat and shifters applied. It all seems to work so back into the garage with it where everything will be removed so the welds can be checked then cleaned up and paint applied. then I can learn how to ride it.
https://s8.postimg.cc/bcg4p4upx/P1020746.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/v726b99xd/)

willym
08-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Looking good Hugh. I'm sure that it's a lot cheaper than a Bacchetta! I haven't ridden my SWB prototype for a while - just too many other things to do. Have you ever measured the trail on this bike? I'm just curious as I've messed with mine a few times to try to get a good balance between steering stability and minimal flop.

Hugh
08-12-2018, 06:51 AM
I will measure the angle of the froks but the plans were followed faithfully so it should be right around 72 degrees

willym
08-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Thanks. I was more interested in the trail - the distance between the wheel contact point and the point on the ground where the centre of steering tube projects to.

Hugh
08-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Here's a shot of the Highroller pretty much finished. After I learn to ride it if I like the experience a mesh covering made for a motorcycle seat will be added. The bike is a lb or 2 heavier than what the plans indicated, my supplier only had a slightly thicker tube. It's just brush painted with Tremclad rust paint, that's used because I find it easier to touch up later. And yes, I can be hard on things like paint. Also the seat is Brads plan for the seat from my Warrior trike, A can of insulating spray foam was used to round off the plwood joints and make a bit of a lumbar support. Once the foam hardened it was sanded to the desired shape and then covered with 3 layers of fibreglass cloth with each layer "painted" with resin.
https://s8.postimg.cc/7bhk17i1x/P1020751.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/ucy56yhpd/)

Hugh
08-24-2018, 10:40 AM
And here is the view from the flip side.
https://s8.postimg.cc/p5d223vut/P1020750.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/5ar0fzgn5/)

darnthedog
08-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Looks like fun. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Radical Brad
08-24-2018, 10:51 PM
Nice wheels, congrats!
Brad

Hugh
09-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Thanks Brad, couldn't have done it without your imagination to lead the way. Darnthedog, what's next is a revamp of my Warrior trike. It now has a bit over 2000 km's on it and will soon be getting a make over but that will be posted in the appropiate thread. I've only ridden the Highroller a couple times and only for a very short distance. What I've noticed is it rewards a calm and steady hand on the bars and I get so nervous that the ride get's twitchy so I stop. At 65 not interested in falling off if possible so a long slow learning curve seems in order.

darnthedog
09-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Hugh
I am 59 and I don't feel stable on a recumbent 2 wheeler's when I first tried them out. Commercial bikes were tested before becoming familiar with this site. And that was 10 years ago at 49. However I loved the feel of the recumbent trikes. Never had the problem with an upwrong. But I suspect it was old habit and disorientation. That's why I attempted to focus on various trikes. With my knees and Carpal tunnel the trikes were the only way to go. Thus my focus to build them.

Unfortunately the Lungs gave up on me despite my clean living of not smoking and loosing weight for Diabetes. So I am only able to observe and enjoy your builds and advise as I see the opportunity.
As to learning curb it is up to you. I would consider elbow, knee pads, and decent helmet if you are unstable to prevent injury. But it does look like a fine ride regardless of my lack of desire to try it.

Hugh
09-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Well I went out today to Birds Hill provincial park which is only about 15 minutes from my home to give a further test to the High Roller. Over the last few days 2 friends tried it in the back lane, neither had ever ridden a recumbent before and each was able, after wobbling like a drunken sailor down the lane to straighten out a lot on the way back. So off I went to a nice secluded bike path with a small incline so I could start easily. It provided a rollout of a couple hundred feet and I would roll down, stop and get off then walk back up, did this about 6 times. Then finally at the bottom I figured it was time and managed to start, got my other foot onto the pedal and ride. A bit wobbly at first but forcing myself to remain calm, and trust the bike and we were off. Managed to go about a kilometer then stopped and rode back. What a feeling, almost as good as first learning to ride except now I'm almost 66. It's gonna take some time but that's OK. Plus being a recumbent when winter comes it will be placed onto my trainer and will be way more comfortable then the old Sekine 10 I was using.

Hugh
10-19-2018, 11:57 PM
Well I have made one small upgrade to the highroller, just an adjustment to the handlebar stem and have the bike mounted to my indoor trainer. I have also decided to add an electric assist to it. A 500 watt Bafang mid drive motor has been ordered along with a 52 tooth sprocket. The Bafang BBS02 motor has a thumb throttle and my fat bike has the bigger brother in their motor lineup and on it I use the throttle only to get a start when riding off road and/or in the snow. I figure the slight edge the throttle will give should allow for easy painless starts. Another benefit is the motor can easily be swapped into my Warrior trike when the BionX system finally gives up.

willym
10-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Looking forward to seeing your mile times!

Hugh
10-20-2018, 09:56 AM
willym , good one. What I,m really going for is the ability to get a smooth start to my rides. Riding around town it is mostly flat but at almost all the bike paths you wind up on a small incline before crossing a road. Plus a concern of mine when mixing it up with the often crazy automobile traffic is getting a good start at intersections. I have very little desire to go fast, a mid 20 kph speed is fine. There is a choice to the tooth count of the sprocket, included is a 46 tooth and 44 or 52 are options. I chose the 52 to offset the smaller (24") tires on the bike. Right now the highroller has a 3 sprocket set up on the front and I use mostly the middle ring which is I think around 44 teeth, it's been awhile since I checked. One advantadge to my motor choice is no drag when not using any level of assist. On fatbike rides in summer i often leave the system turned on which gives me the speedometer function and odometer but doesn't run down the battery unless of course there is a hill or some other obstacle requiring an e assist. That type of riding increases range. On my Warrior trike with the rear hub motor i follow the same protocol.

willym
10-20-2018, 11:40 AM
I'm still learning to ride my two wheeler bent. Starts are the most challenging, and I can see an advantage to having a motor assist especially on up inclines - you can't always choose where you have to stop. I think that your 52 tooth is a good choice, I'm running a 48, but use the middle (36) mostly. Mine's put away for the winter now, and we'll be heading south for the winter months shortly.

Hugh
11-25-2018, 09:52 PM
I have recieved a BBS02 mid drive motor and installed it and the battery on the bike. The battery fit very nicely under the frame, it's barely noticeable. The one glitch was the need to find and order a longer speed sensor cable to allow the sensor magnet to be mounted to the rear wheel. I was able to locate 2 24" extensions which will work but they are still in transit. The existing sensor is long enough to mount to the front wheel but I want to be able to use the bike computer with the rear wheel so turned on in level zero it will indicate speed and distance while on the trainer in the garage. Cmon summer time.

DannyC
11-26-2018, 06:18 AM
I have recieved a BBS02 mid drive motor and installed it and the battery on the bike. The battery fit very nicely under the frame, it's barely noticeable. The one glitch was the need to find and order a longer speed sensor cable to allow the sensor magnet to be mounted to the rear wheel. I was able to locate 2 24" extensions which will work but they are still in transit. The existing sensor is long enough to mount to the front wheel but I want to be able to use the bike computer with the rear wheel so turned on in level zero it will indicate speed and distance while on the trainer in the garage. Cmon summer time.

Hi Hugh,
I just cut and spliced mine its a simple enough job and its fully shrink-wrapped and pretty impervious to rain.
A word of warning IF you have a thumb throttle: If water gets inside these the whole BAFANG control pod shuts down. I had this happen on my return journey back to the port and the ferry home, was a bit of a scary moment. The rain had been torrential all morning and we had no choice but to ride through it. Luckily, hand warmth eventually dried it out and it all began functioning again after and hour or so. If you expect a lot of rain, slip a small sandwich-bag over the thumb throttle and secure with rubber bands. ;-)

vk3ckc
11-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Anyone looking for the real deal speed sensor extension for Bafang conversion kits, see topbikekit.com. They did not show up on their pages when I was looking for them but I have found that Suga Wu (sales) is extremely helpful when needing assistance for Bafang.

Kevin, VK3CKC.

Hugh
12-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Well the BBS02 vendor offered 3 extension cables for the speed sensor, 18 inches long @ $20 each plus $20 shipping. I thanked them for the offer and was able to find 2 cables 24" long with free shipping from China for $37 Canadian. And they have arrived and the motor is all set up. What it means is now on the trainer is when power is set to zero I can monitor supposed speed and more importantly distance. So far I,m only riding (trainor) about 15 minutes every other day but it does add up.

Hugh
12-09-2018, 01:02 PM
And here's a picture of the High Roller with the Bafang motor installed. Just a couple thing's to finish it up, a bit of foam in a couple spots and then a black mesh to cover the seat. Also before spring a new set of brake pads all around, the current ones are prob years old and somewhat hard.
https://i.postimg.cc/fWgfRCRy/P1020779.jpg (https://postimg.cc/w3LmWhJY)

DannyC
12-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Hello Hugh,

I like the Bafang very much. Mine is a BBS01 unit and I have modified it to provide a double 52/39 chainring.
They really can rip along quite nicely can't they. I have found that a tiny squeeze on either brake lever is required to instantly cut the motor for gear changing really helps, but I have to say I am really impressed.
30 miles on a single 36V 20AH battery seems to be the limit on mine. How far does your take you?